TOP Gun 2: Maverick Behind The Scenes Afterburner Shot

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
Just saw this tonight. Jump to about 4:31. There is a shot of a Cinejet right behind/above the F18. The super hornet hits the afterburners and...holy crap does it accelerate! I would have thought the acceleration would be less than that - WOW!. Also, although very short, cool to see him flying the P51 with Jennifer Connelly :) riding in back.

I think said acceleration might have been helped out by editing......having flown the FA-18 for 2000 hrs myself. Also, I was back in Fallon training when they were filming these scenes (though not in the movie, other than possibly the carrier scenes.....I landed one afternoon with the film crew on the LSO platform filming so I will have to wait and see). That little L-39 nearly had like 1000 midairs with other (our) Navy jets when they were just roaming the range trying to find good lighting, or whatever it was they were doing. I never had a near miss with it, but I know plenty of dudes that did. Think they didn't exactly know how things worked, in terms of range scheduling or real time deconfliction with other flights. Either way, it looks like they were able to grab some good footage at least :)

Darnit. And here I was hoping this movie would die off so everyone would forget about singing to girls in the bar. Had to stop because they just started rolling their eyes and said "you're copying Top Gun" when it was really the other way around.

I think said acceleration might have been helped out by editing...

Obviously you have flown one so my response it totally uneducated, but that is a shot from the cinema camera wing which would not be in the film. It's a 'behind the scenes' shot. So there wouldn't be any reason to edit that really. Of course other than to make the behind the scenes scenes look cool too.

Maybe the camera plane slowed down at the same time?

sometimes the camera tricks the eye too.... super wide angle shot might make that acceleration seem faster that what the eye would see. Just spitballin here....I've never had the pleasure flying anything even remotely like that so what would I know?!?

Looks like Cruise had a bird strike. Look at those crow's feet!

Maybe the camera plane slowed down at the same time?
sometimes the camera tricks the eye too.... super wide angle shot might make that acceleration seem faster that what the eye would see. Just spitballin here....I've never had the pleasure flying anything even remotely like that so what would I know?!?

Another consideration would be maybe it really did pull away like that? :D

@35 AoA, could it be that the sensation is different when flying it than how it really looks? Maybe in flying it the acceleration doesn't feel like it would look like that from an outside view, when in reality it does. Another thing could be they had the jet flying pretty slow so when he kicked the afterburners in the acceleration was even more pronounced.

Could be right Brian. I really have no idea what it looks like specific to that exact example. All I can say is that I hope we look that cool :)

Well, I just want that acceleration look to be real, so trying to argue for that. lol.

I've got more than a dozen hours in a Cessna 152... To me that segment definitely looks sped up - look at the rate of the horizon/clouds bobbing up and down.
And, boy, yeah, it's totally cool...

30 secs prior to the end a realistic acceleration in AB. Worth watching the entire vid though. Classic Tomcat promotional film.

Back