new pilot request help

Just saw a Mooney take off in this wind. Guess the extra power makes winds non-issue?
Also see few military Blackhawks readying for takeoff.
It's not the power, it's the spread between the wind speed and stall speed.

Glide ratio....8:1 or about 1.5 nm for every 1000 ft of altitude.

If you really need to get home, consider parking in Midland and flying home commercial. Probably all of us have either flown home commercial, got a car to drive home, or what you’ve been doing....staying overnight where you didn’t expect to be.

Unless you head north to Carlsbad, and assuming you stop in Midland-Odessa area, make sure you stop in Wink and top off fuel. IIRC you only have 24 gal usable. Not much between Wink and El Paso (direct).

Last edited:
If you want some really decent (at least in my opinion) Mexican food if you end up staying in Abilene longer, definitely go to Miguel’s Mex Tex on the west side of town. That’s my current go-to there.

Trying to help him carry more gas? ;)

Just saw a Mooney take off in this wind. Guess the extra power makes winds non-issue?

Power, experience, and/or a cavalier attitude may work toward reducing the perceived risk or increase the level of risk accepted by the pilot, but it does not eliminate the risk itself. I am all about pushing one's limits, but the time, reason, and conditions need to be right. If you do not feel safe taking off into whatever conditions there may be, then simply do not. Anyone who chides you for your personal limits and ADM has either forgotten what it is like to be inexperienced with those conditions or (more likely) a blowhard fool.

That said, a 10kt gust spread, in an of itself, is not necessarily an issue. A LOT depends, of course, on its alignment with the runway. Would I take a personal flight in a 150 with a 24G34 aligned with the runway enough to reduce the potential crosswind component to a managable level? You betcha... Would I take a brand-new student into those same conditions? Not likely. A student who is further along, has already displayed good ADM and could usee some experience in what those kind of winds actually feel like? Very likely.

:thumbsup:

Starting to wonder about Peter hiring someone with a flatbed trailer, dismount the wings, load all into trailer, and truck home to LA area.

Starting to wonder about Peter hiring someone with a flatbed trailer, dismount the wings, load all into trailer, and truck home to LA area.
Be cheaper to hire someone like you just to fly it home.

My farthest flight one-way so far is 500nm. He's already beat that while being careful and observant. I say way to go, especially if he can work it out with his boss. Learning lots of lessons about wx, flying and his new plane. I wish he was along my route I'd buy him lunch or dinner.

Winds along his route are better than yesterday, for sure.

Not sure but for whatever reason can't find him on flightaware or virtual radar.

Trying to fly vicariously since we had the crazy winds here today and stuck on the couch.

Last edited:
???

"It's not the power, it's the spread between the wind speed and stall speed."

Could you elaborate?

A couple of things. First, crosswinds, for any given wind speed the lower the stall speed, the more crab and/or slip you need to put it down on the runway. Also, gusts... if the gust differential is greater than the margin you're holding above stall speed on final (e.g. the typical 1.3Vso), you might find yourself out of airspeed. Or a side gust might exceed a slow airplane's ability to compensate. That gets worse as you slow down in the flare.

But you can think of it in terms of wing loading, too, since that's related to stall speed.

There's a good reason airliners and fighters can fly in a lot more wind than a C-150. Ultralights are even more limited.

Not sure but for whatever reason can't find him on flightaware or virtual radar.

This is all I get on flightaware (logged in or not)

screenshot_20200112-161721_firefox-jpg.81836

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200112-161721_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20200112-161721_Firefox.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 203
Got him now just south of Monahans

Using virtual radar through ADSB exchange

Was there and then gone again. Must be sketchy coverage or landed.

Last edited:
A little bit of trivia that might be encouraging. It is closer from El Paso to LA than it is from El Paso to Texarkana, Texas. Bonham was not all that far from Texarkana and he left from there yesterday.

Looks like he’s on the ground in Pecos, TX. Topping off and back into the sky? Or is he in for the night? Only Peter knows.

Not Riverside, He's going to Corona. Corona is the mid-air capitol of Southern California.

I though that was French Valley (F70)! LOL! F70 was such a mess with pilots arguing on the CTAF that I just overflew at 1,000 feet above pattern altitude, turned around and went back home without landing.

It's FlightAware. Peter's flight is not public, so you have to log into FlightAware with an account to see his progress. No cost to sign-up, and my family uses it to track my flights as well.
Thanks!

Hey folks,
I made it Pesco, TX today after waiting for wind gust to die down at Abilene, TX.
There was much turbulence at 4500 but it improved further west I got.
Feeling a bit tired today. Someone asked if I'd fly at night; not planning since I'm not familiar with terrain.
Thanks again folks for following my journey. BTW, if you can post my flight from Flightaware as screen shoot, please do. I can't see my own flight yet.
Because I can't play any music during flight, I started talking to myself today. I imagine what I'd say if there was a passenger next to me. Weird as this sounds, it actually helped pass time and ease my anxiousness! :)

Hey folks,
I made it Pesco, TX today after waiting for wind gust to die down at Abilene, TX.
Feeling a bit tired today. Someone asked if I'd fly at night; not planning since I'm not familiar with terrain.
Thanks again folks for following my journey. BTW, if you can post my flight from Flightaware as screen shoot, please do. I can't see my own flight yet.
Because I can't play any music during flight, I started talking to myself today. I imagine what I'd say if there was a passenger next to me. Weird as this sounds, it actually helped pass time and ease my anxiousness! :)
Did they talk back :)

Great job! It was great to see you moving along at a reasonable pace. I haven’t looked over the weather, but it seems that you will be moving along well tomorrow. Those headwinds were just really holding you back. Talking to your imaginary passenger is okay. There is lots of boredom in cross country flight. Just don’t lull into it at a level that prevents you from paying attention to your vitals. It looks like you’re doing a good job holding heading and altitude. That’s really good practice for developing the flight precision you need to move toward instrument and commercial flying.

thanks for keeping us posted. You have an entire cheering section. Whatever you might need I expect someone here can help with it.

Rather than talking, I sing to myself. “Nearer My God To Thee” or “Swing Low, Sweet Chariot” or “Shall We Gather At The River”......

If I’m in a rock & roll mood it’s “Don’t Fear the Reaper.”

:D

Hey folks,

Looks like you landed in Pecos a couple of hours after I did. You made a good choice staying there, I encountered a very strong mountain wave between Pecos and El Paso. I was unable to hold altitude in the CT210 for a short while, slow going after that, 20 to 30 knot head wind.
Did the two dogs greet you at the FBO?

Because I can't play any music during flight
If you don't already own a Bluetooth capable headset, there are two solutions
  • Purchase a Bluetooth capable headset.
  • Purchase the Pilot USA BluLink Cell Phone to Aviation Headset Adapter that fits between the headset plugs and the panel that provides BT functionality.

If you don't already own a Bluetooth capable headset, there are two solutions
  • Purchase a Bluetooth capable headset.
  • Purchase the Pilot USA BluLink Cell Phone to Aviation Headset Adapter that fits between the headset plugs and the panel that provides BT functionality.

Or just wear earphones under your headset and use any MP3 player. Cheap and easy. Be sure you can hear radio calls.

Or just wear earphones under your headset and use any MP3 player. Cheap and easy. Be sure you can hear radio calls.
Hang on.... you're an engineer for a defense contractor, right? Isn't suggesting to them "cheep and easy" just gonna get you in trouble with the designers and budgeteers?

Looks like you landed in Pecos a couple of hours after I did. You made a good choice staying there, I encountered a very strong mountain wave between Pecos and El Paso. I was unable to hold altitude in the CT210 for a short while, slow going after that, 20 to 30 knot head wind.
Did the two dogs greet you at the FBO?

Didn't go FBO, just went to motel after I landed. Guy Joseph greeted me and fixed my landing light for free (it was unplugged)! :D
My plan is to leave at 7am on this route following close to the Highway 10. In case of emergency, I can land on the highway. :rolleyes:
KPEQ KVHN KDNA KLSB

It appears I'll start to encounter mountains and will need to climb.
Here's 360 video from when I took off Bonham, TX

Last edited:
This is all I get on flightaware (logged in or not)

screenshot_20200112-161721_firefox-jpg.81836
That's what I get if I disable position-only flights. When you are logged in, go to the My Account page (under your user name in the upper left corner). Once you are on that page, scroll down to section 6 and make sure that "Show position-only flights" is selected, and then select "Save."

That's what I get if I disable position-only flights. When you are logged in, go to the My Account page (under your user name in the upper left corner). Once you are on that page, scroll down to section 6 and make sure that "Show position-only flights" is selected, and then select "Save."

...and just like that I join the enlightened.

Thank you!
:)

Back