Godzilla

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Searching for something else, I stumbled on this tidbit from a favorite grindehouse movie reviewer, Joe Bob Briggs.

"You know what's funny? Godzilla was created by the Japanese as a symbol of what Americans did to em, right? We dropped the nuclear bomb on em and it created all these mutations, and one of em was Godzilla. So they make these movies where Godzilla is the symbol of American nuclear evil, and then they become popular in America, and then forty years later somebody says "Hey, we should make an American Godzilla movie, where the monster eats AMERICAN cities," and so the symbol of anti-American sentiment is sent over to America to devour itself, and the company doing the AMERICAN film is ....

. . . Sony. . . ."​

Lundberg voice: “If you could hold off on bombing them again until after the warranty runs out on my Subaru, that would be greeeeeeat.”

LOL.

A truly guilty pleasure. The funny thing is the American Godzilla movies are even more stupid than their Japanese counterparts, and that's going some.

The funniest thing is the Big Guy started out as a Japanese actor in a Godzilla suit stomping on little toy cities. Now everything is created digitally, but Godzilla is created from motion capture of a human actor covered over digitally. So in truth its still a guy in a suit.

Lundberg voice: “If you could hold off on bombing them again until after the warranty runs out on my Subaru, that would be greeeeeeat.”

LOL.

How can you write that without an "mmmmkayyy?" at the end?

That's why I'm turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so...

Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so...

How can you write that without an "mmmmkayyy?" at the end?

Because this was Lundberg and that’s Mr Mackey. LOL. :)

Side note: the Mackey character is loosely based on the dad of a girl my wife went to high school with who really is a school counselor, or was. Think he’s retired now.

There's an OTA TV network called Comet that shows the original Godzirra and derivatives regularly. Hysterical stuff.

@Zeldman .... your image reminds me of an ad for Lone Star beer. The one where an oversized Armadillo was shown holding a semi truck of beer with the foam overflowing the back end, and him leaning on a saguaro cactus.

Anybody remember Gorgo (1961)? It was another monster film, sometimes described as a copycat of Godzilla. But this time the creature(s) attack London, and in Technicolor. Its theme was more environmentalist than geopolitical. The plot and special effects are considered by many to be superior to Godzilla.

Gorgo was produced by Frank King, the same schlock B-movie producer portrayed by John Goodman in the recent biopic Trumbo. Frank King was my Aunt Helen's fiancé, and he held court at our family dinner table at Aunt Helen's house every Sunday night. I was about eight years old when Frank took me with him to hobby stores to shop for toy tanks to use in the filming of Gorgo.

@Zeldman .... your image reminds me of an ad for Lone Star beer. The one where an oversized Armadillo was shown holding a semi truck of beer with the foam overflowing the back end, and him leaning on a saguaro cactus.

:lol::lol: I had forgotten that until you brought it up.!!

I never did understand the armadillo and Lone Star thing.

OIP.sBuCOThQOKPuvCi2zBs4egHaEk

Back