5 Day Accelerated Commercial Training

joshplee

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Josh = Flying
Im looking for recommendations on a accelerated commercial training program. I have around 400 hrs total time ( private and instrument done) most of the commercial requirements met. Been looking at Flight Fast Track in Punta Gorda, FL and Kingsky in Lakeland, FL. I live in Ohio and I'm willing to travel, i currently fly a cessna 182 fixed gear thats not TAA, so i will need TAA time or Complex. If you have good experience or bad experience please let me know.

What is TAA? Maybe Too Alcoholic Aviators Anonymous?

Last edited:
TAA = Technologically Advanced Aircraft

Isn't TAA the same as Complex? (Flaps, Variable Pitch Prop, Retractable Gear)

I'm not familiar with any requirements for TAA, unlike Complex, High Performance, Multi, etc.

From my understanding, TAA would basically mean an aircraft with a G1000, but does not need to have retractable gear.

My instructor told me to fly with him a couple hours to learn the maneuvers then I can go practice them myself until I feel confident. Then a couple more with him to get the endorsement for a checkride. If you have a CFI close, maybe you don't need the accelerated course???

TAA FYI....

FAR 61.129

(j) Technically advanced airplane. Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator, a technically advanced airplane must be equipped with an electronically advanced avionics system that includes the following installed components:

(1) An electronic Primary Flight Display (PFD) that includes, at a minimum, an airspeed indicator, turn coordinator, attitude indicator, heading indicator, altimeter, and vertical speed indicator;

(2) An electronic Multifunction Display (MFD) that includes, at a minimum, a moving map using Global Positioning System (GPS) navigation with the aircraft position displayed;

(3) A two axis autopilot integrated with the navigation and heading guidance system; and

(4) The display elements described in paragraphs (j)(1) and (2) of this section must be continuously visible.​

I'm sure I'm the only one but I fail to see how a touch screen full of information and a two axis autopilot in a 172 equates to the challenges of a constant speed prop and retracts.

But that's the new rules, so buckle up.

More on topic, I agree with this guy:

My instructor told me to fly with him a couple hours to learn the maneuvers then I can go practice them myself until I feel confident. Then a couple more with him to get the endorsement for a checkride. If you have a CFI close, maybe you don't need the accelerated course???

My experience with a certain commercial pilot fast track provider wasn't good at all.

And now that I have my commercial ticket, an intensive course for commercial pilot is not something I would recommend. Especially if you are early in your journey toward the rating.

The only exception I would make to this is you are more than 90% of the way there and really seeking a solution to obtain a fine polish to the maneuvers, do the 3-hours required to get the endorsement, and a mock oral and check ride or two.

A caveat to this is also the quality of the instructor that fast track place will provide. But quality of instructor applies to just about anything in aviation.

The instructor I finally found has over 1500 hours of instruction at age 23 and is both a natural aviator and teacher.

Back to the question, my suggestion is to find a local high dual given time and who is very good at teaching and develop a curriculum that can get you to the finish line in reasonable time. And said curriculum is catered to your needs, both in the air and on the ground.

This can serve to save some expen$es, and get it done within a few weeks if the weather cooperates.

Do you have written done?

But if you are bound and determined do go with a fast track ... The instructor I mentioned has good things to say about www.venturenorthaviation.com in Minnesota. Especially their CFI-I program.

She did caution me to only go there once I was very well prepared and really just needed the final push toward the goal line.

Ive heard good things about venture north aviation, weather in Minnesota is a concern this time of year.. thanks for the feedback

Just so you're aware....the instrument training you received during your private pilot and instrument training can count for some or all of the 10 hours you need for the commercial rating, as long as it was endorsed by a CFII and documented correctly using verbiage similar to what is pasted below.

(i) Ten hours of instrument training using a view-limiting device including attitude instrument flying, partial panel skills, recovery from unusual flight attitudes, and intercepting and tracking navigational systems. Five hours of the 10 hours required on instrument training must be in a single engine airplane;

Im looking for recommendations on a accelerated commercial training program. I have around 400 hrs total time ( private and instrument done) most of the commercial requirements met. Been looking at Flight Fast Track in Punta Gorda, FL and Kingsky in Lakeland, FL. I live in Ohio and I'm willing to travel, i currently fly a cessna 182 fixed gear thats not TAA, so i will need TAA time or Complex. If you have good experience or bad experience please let me know.

If you travel to FL, your 5 day course turns into an 7-8 day investment in time plus travel costs and lodging. You can’t get this done in Ohio?

If you travel to FL, your 5 day course turns into an 7-8 day investment in time plus travel costs and lodging. You can’t get this done in Ohio?

Have you ever been to Ohio in the winter? Schedule 5 days worth of flights, and it might be IFR all five days.

Winters in Ohio can be tough and unpredictable, I fly during winter when weather is good, but its rare this time of year to have predictable weather to schedule time off work for a week straight ( IMC, ICE, Snow, Blizzards, frozen rwys, pre-heating daily, etc), not saying it cant be done(I finished my instrument rating up in February).. Thinks for all the comments..

Winters in Ohio can be tough and unpredictable, I fly during winter when weather is good, but its rare this time of year to have predictable weather to schedule time off work for a week straight ( IMC, ICE, Snow, Blizzards, frozen rwys, pre-heating daily, etc), not saying it cant be done(I finished my instrument rating up in February).. Thinks for all the comments..
Something else to contend with with your planning..... DPE Availability.....

Around these parts, it can be challenging to get an exam date in less than 4 to 6 weeks.

If you do the intensive course, and do well, then it's likely you're going to leave there all set and at your best for your check ride.

So it might be worth calling examiners to book a date in middle to late February and get that on the calendar. Once that's fixed in time, then you can schedule your intensive school to precede that date. This idea is to eliminate chance of your finishing the school and then skills get dull because of a long wait for examiner.

Add to this - Venture North has a DPE on hand. So that is a plus. The other place I found was in Sioux Falls, SD. Rather just outside of SF in the city of Tea. Same, they have a DPE on hand.

I'd be happy to help. I'm in Florida quite often however I rely on the students providing their own aircraft. Thanks, Phil accelerated-IFR.com

I’d suggest finding a DPE and a local instructor who has some experience doing commercial training, schedule the DPE and instructor, and take the week off for a decelerated course.

TAA FYI....

FAR 61.129

(j) Technically advanced airplane. Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator, a technically advanced airplane must be equipped with an electronically advanced avionics system that includes the following installed components:

(1) An electronic Primary Flight Display (PFD) that includes, at a minimum, an airspeed indicator, turn coordinator, attitude indicator, heading indicator, altimeter, and vertical speed indicator;

(2) An electronic Multifunction Display (MFD) that includes, at a minimum, a moving map using Global Positioning System (GPS) navigation with the aircraft position displayed;

(3) A two axis autopilot integrated with the navigation and heading guidance system; and

(4) The display elements described in paragraphs (j)(1) and (2) of this section must be continuously visible.​

Weird. My 1999 FAR AIM has 61.129 (a) for Airplane Single Engine - no mention of TAA requirement (it does mention the need for 10 hours in a complex). I turn the page and I don't have a 61.129 (j); the highest my book goes is 61.129 (i). New for 2020?

§61.129.3.ii

(ii) 10 hours of training in a complex airplane, a turbine-powered airplane, or a technically advanced airplane (TAA) that meets the requirements of paragraph (j) of this section, or any combination thereof. The airplane must be appropriate to land or sea for the rating sought;​

Weird. My 1999 FAR AIM has 61.129 (a) for Airplane Single Engine - no mention of TAA requirement (it does mention the need for 10 hours in a complex). I turn the page and I don't have a 61.129 (j); the highest my book goes is 61.129 (i). New for 2020?
The change went into effect Aug 27, 2018

That’s sobering. Note: Don’t get a new 2020 FAR AIM from Aviation Supplies and Academics inc. Apparently they / my 2019 book isn’t up to date even for 2018

Any recommended sources for a 2020 FAR AIM?

My 2020 ASA FAR/AIM has 61.129.3.ii, as cited by Mike. Perhaps you got an early print run? Reading the copyright page, my edition is 2020 9th printing.

I like to use the electronic ones for my iThings

The current favorite is this one, due to the bookmarking system and they format the paragraphs for easy reading. It does require a subscription or get updates. But that is less than the purchase of one paper copy.

B502F476-536F-47C8-A801-ADCF035E8946.jpeg

I have also used ASA's app. A one time purchase keeps you updated forever.

11029F16-371F-47D2-8C08-1792EBAEF9AC.jpeg

what part of Ohio are you in?

That’s sobering. Note: Don’t get a new 2020 FAR AIM from Aviation Supplies and Academics inc. Apparently they / my 2019 book isn’t up to date even for 2018

They are always out of date as soon as they hit the presses.

They are always out of date as soon as they hit the presses.

All the more reason to use the FAA's own e-CFR site. It is updated continually. The link I provided above and said "Updated 08 January" now says it was updated 09 January...

:)

I ended up staying local and being glad I did (only spent like $2500 total getting the commercial rating), but when I was looking at accelerated programs, Livingston Aviation was the best deal with the combination of best good reviews. They are in Iowa I believe.

I think it's $2,975 for their 5 day program + the fee for the DPE. Obviously, like all the accelerated programs out there, they want you to show up with solo requirements and the written done. Probably 10 hours of flying is included in that price.

They publish updates online.

Back