The Aeronauts. Amazon prime flick

david.h

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
david.h
Anyone else watched this "film"? Review: (no spoilers) it was just ok. There was some nice aerial footage but most was cgi or imposed onto via digital. Aspects of historic nature were sorta there. A bit of a yawn and decent way to waste time on this Christmas afternoon. I did FF some of the story line to get to the flight scenes. Physics are not perfect but slightly plausible. Anyways, just wonder if anyone else took time to see this.

I did and was under the impression it was based on a true story. It was entertaining but I didn’t bother to check historical accuracy until finishing. Kind of a letdown that pretty much 90% of the film was fiction.

I did:

thumbs.jpg

We have a large screen TV w/surround sound system in our family room. It is probably the loudest movie I've ever watched, yet it is about the quietest form of flight there is. I had to turn the volume up to hear voices, yet the sound effects were RIDICULOUS!

I thought it was decent. My big issue was the predictability but making a whole movie basically in a balloon basket and keeping it interesting is a challenge. I thought for CGI and other camera trickery it was actually pretty realistic looking. Entertaining enough that I didn't turn it off. Not the kind of movie I would watch a second time.

We saw it, thought it was fine. It is indeed based on a true story about a record setting balloon flight. That said, the particulars of the characters wasn't at all factual. Can't speak to what happens to them in the movie. Won't burnt he world down, but it was diverting for an evening, and I can ask little more of a TV movie.

Anyone else watched this "film"? Review: (no spoilers) it was just ok. There was some nice aerial footage but most was cgi or imposed onto via digital. Aspects of historic nature were sorta there. A bit of a yawn and decent way to waste time on this Christmas afternoon. I did FF some of the story line to get to the flight scenes. Physics are not perfect but slightly plausible. Anyways, just wonder if anyone else took time to see this.

Yes. Enjoyed it

I watched the first 20 minutes, then moved on to something entertaining.

Impossible to believe the feats of athleticism performed at FL350 (!) without supplemental O2. Or even with supplemental O2. But it's the movies, right? :)

And Felicity Jones is not difficult to look at. :D

That movie was meh at best.

The stuff she was doing at 35,000' was almost as laughable as Sandra Bullock flying from space station to spacestation and then going back to Earth in Gravity (I movie I absolutely thought was the biggest was of 120mins of my life). I couldn't even stay conscious at 18,000' without O2 in an altitude chamber and this chick is scaling that side of a balloon at nearly double that altitude?

I didn't sit and watch it, but I left it on for my cat to see while I was doing other things. I figure cranking the view count up on aviation based movies can only be a good thing!

It was a gas balloon. I watched but need to watch again. It just makes me want to fly balloons even worse...

I watched it but fell asleep through the middle of it and I basically lost interest in it when they were climbing up over 10,000 ft with no supplemental oxygen and having seemingly unlimited physical strength

also, there's a portion where the whole balloon gets encased in thick ice, I'm quite certain all the weight of that water would have pushed the balloon down and it would not have kept ascending.. or by 35K ft it would have sublimated off in the sun

It was an okay movie, but more of a visual theme park than a compelling and historically accurate story

The brave accomplishments of Henry Coxwell are completely ignored for the single PC purpose of making the pilot a woman. That's trashy.

Might check out the mini-series on Alberto Santos-Dumont, the early aviation pioneer. It's a six-episode Brazilian production, titled "Santos Dumont."

Just watched the first episode tonight, it was pretty good. Looks like they have full-scale Demoiselle and 14 Bis replicas in the later episodes.

You can find it in HBO, under "Latina Series." It's in Portuguese and French, but has English subtitles.

Ron Wanttaja

Back