Thinking about a new iPhone

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
My current phone is an iPhone SE, 64 GB. I've had it for over 4 years now. To be fully honest, I have little to complain about with the phone itself. Still works fine, runs what I need it to. I had it in an Otterbox case up until a few months back so it more or less looks new. Touch screen works, few scratches.

However, the front camera on the phone is somewhat scratched up and now low quality, and there's no image stabilization which I think some of the current iPhones have. Since I'm using my phone for recording "editing" (if you want to call it that) my YouTube channel with my phone I could produce better quality videos with a better phone.

Other thing is that I now basically only do approach plates on my phone, and so a bigger screen would be really nice for that.

It seems like the 8 Plus, X-something (with the large screen), or 11 Plus would all be contenders. I'm not convinced that I like the face recognition that the X and 11 use for unlocks. That said the fingerprint unlock I was also not sure I like and theoretically my face is more consistent than my burned-off fingerprints from wrenching on hot engines for years.

The 8 Plus is significantly cheaper than the other two. I do tend to hold on to phones for a long time, so that could make the argument for the 11. But I also don't use high horsepower applications and don't plan on it. So really, the 11 would win me over for better camera/editing features, or if iOS 13 is really so bloated that it needs the 11 to run well.

Regardless I'll want the big screen and also opt for one of the higher storage capacities. That does seem to work very well for me.

Thoughts?

Mrs. Pilawt and I were each using an iPhone 6. It was time to replace them, as the latest iOS and some apps had passed them by. We bought an iPhone 8 for each of us, and we're reasonably happy with them. I don't think the added features of the much-more-expensive 11 would make much difference to us.

We traded in Mrs. P's iPhone 6 for the $60 that Apple offered, but I decided to hang onto mine, at least to use as an iPod. But then I realized that I could continue to use it with Foreflight on its yoke mount in the 172, connected by Wi-Fi to the Stratus. Now I don't have to tie up my iPhone 8 while I'm flying. Might as well keep using the 6 for that purpose, at least until some future update of Foreflight requires iOS 13.

If you’re staying iPhone make sure to look at sizes. Cook keeps making them bigger for no real reason. Pocket test it before buying. With a case of you use one.

I just replaced my 5s with an 11, the old 5s stopped receiving calls sending them direct to VM every-time, plus the battery was discharging very quickly

Come on over to the dark side.

I got an 8 plus. It’s my work phone. As Nate said above: check the pocket size. The screen resolution and size is great for viewing but I had to go back to a belt pouch to carry it. While it fit in my pocket I broke two screens simply from the bending force of my front pocket when I sat down.

When I bought a personal phone I bought an 8. Not able plus.

I’ll also say my new iPad does the facial recognition for unlock and in the cockpit I like that a lot.

Last edited:
I was thinking about an 8, but I was tired of being behind the technology curve. I bought an 11 and have been quite happy with it. I love the facial recognition, I've had no trouble with it at all. That said, I run Foreflight on my big iPad, which shows plates and stuff way better than the phone.

A so-called "SE 2" is rumored to be released this spring. OTOH, I've been considering an 8+ as well, if only to get ios 12 back...

If you’re staying iPhone make sure to look at sizes. Cook keeps making them bigger for no real reason. Pocket test it before buying. With a case of you use one.

I’m still quite happy with my X, just paid off last month. It’s fine for me for the foreseeable future, and it was nice seeing my cellular bill drop about $40 a month without my iPhone monthly installment. Nothing in the current lineup is pushing me to upgrade - I think I can wait for the 12 or whatever comes next, especially if it’s 5G capable.

As to “no real reason” for a larger screen, I respectfully disagree. Yes, a bigger phone becomes more cumbersome in use. But for my use case, the bigger, the better - at least up to a point. When surfing the web on my iPhone, size matters. And even the screen size on my X makes it feasible for cockpit use as a navigator, almost exclusively replacing my iPad Mini in that role.

Anyway, if I were upgrading now I’d probably spring for the “iPhone 11 Pro Max”*. But That’s Just Me! (tm)

*Even though I despise the current iPhone model names.

Last edited:
Some good points. I haven't tried the pocket test. I wear jeans pretty much every day with large pockets so it probably could fit, but I should go to the Verizon store and try that out. My guess is it will be fine for me. Laurie's work phone is... I want to say a 6 or a 7 something with the medium sized screen. Since I essentially don't run an iPad in the cockpit anymore having a bigger screen on the phone does help from that regard.

Are there any comments regarding the cameras on the various phones? Did the 11 improve the camera or improve features relating to it?

A so-called "SE 2" is rumored to be released this spring. OTOH, I've been considering an 8+ as well, if only to get ios 12 back...

This is still the only Apple SE product I think of:

800px-Macintosh_SE_b.jpg

Some good points. I haven't tried the pocket test. I wear jeans pretty much every day with large pockets so it probably could fit, but I should go to the Verizon store and try that out. My guess is it will be fine for me. Laurie's work phone is... I want to say a 6 or a 7 something with the medium sized screen. Since I essentially don't run an iPad in the cockpit anymore having a bigger screen on the phone does help from that regard.

Are there any comments regarding the cameras on the various phones? Did the 11 improve the camera or improve features relating to it?

Beware that it's not just fitting in the pocket. Mine fits in my pocket fine but carrying it in my pocket broke the screen. Twice.

One other annoyance with the 8 plus that perhaps only affects those of us with older eyes: on my iPhone 7 & 8, if email was too small to read, I'd turn the phone on it's side and it would make the email screen width thereby enlarging the text. On the 8 plus the email app responds as if it's on a iPad and when you turn it on its side, it adds the inbox display down the left side thereby making the email you were trying to read smaller. This may be a setting somewhere, but the apps all seem to treat the 8 plus as an iPad in regards to screen size.

The twin cameras and cool 3d stuff was one of the reasons I chose the 8 plus. As far as I know (and I'm NOT a camera expert) none of that cool software ever released. It is a higher resolution camera than the 8 for sure.

John

I have an X. Very happy with it. The upswipe vs the home button is a huge improvement and the entire face is usable screen, which is really nice.

Beware that it's not just fitting in the pocket. Mine fits in my pocket fine but carrying it in my pocket broke the screen. Twice.

Fair point. I would get another Otterbox case. That's been a recipe for success for me across multiple phones.

The twin cameras and cool 3d stuff was one of the reasons I chose the 8 plus. As far as I know (and I'm NOT a camera expert) none of that cool software ever released. It is a higher resolution camera than the 8 for sure.

So then the question for X/11 users... any of those cool features get added?

I have the 8, my wife has the 8 plus. Every time I pick up her phone, it seems huge. Then I quickly get used to the extra screen size and I like it.

The two phones also have different cameras and lenses. If you do think you'll be doing some semi-serious photo work, consider those differences. Nothing beats a real camera for doing it right, but the cameras in iPhones really are pretty good. The 8plus and some of the newer phones really do have good camera/lens features, functions, and capabilities.

Come on over to the dark side.

Everyone who runs Android phones tells me that. My wife had an Android about 8 years ago coming from an iPhone and hated it. The OS was a pain, the phone itself was ok but nothing she used worked correctly.

Basically what I've come to the conclusion of is that if you're more technical than a lot of people (like me) that Android is better. Me, I just want my aps to work and not mess with it much.

Fair point. I would get another Otterbox case. That's been a recipe for success for me across multiple phones.
[snip]

Mine was IN an Otterbox case both times. And still is. As near as I can figure, the force applied to the corners of the phone by jeans across the curve of my thigh (I carry it in my front pocket) was enough to crack the screen. I do know that I've had no further screen issues since I started using the belt pouch again. Though my (adult) kids would rather I not be seen in public with it. :)

Yep come to the dark side and get a Note 10 plus and you'll wonder why you didnt have one sooner.

My nephew has the newest flavor apple and side by side and picture quality he likes my phone better. He only stays with apple because that's all he has ever known he says. I get it but like flying, got to expand that comfort zone. Haha

The cameras on the new “Pro” models are indeed exceptional. Apple’s “Shot On iPhone” TV ads are very impressive. But the camera on the X is not exactly chopped liver, and does what I need it to do - which is mainly grab quick shots to post online. Few of us actually need a dedicated camera anymore - I bought one a few years back and use it very, very rarely. It’s user interface is terribly frustrating when I do dig it out.

But let me stipulate that other brand’s phones have exceptional cameras as well - competition is good for the breed.

It seems like the 8 Plus, X-something (with the large screen), or 11 Plus would all be contenders. I'm not convinced that I like the face recognition that the X and 11 use for unlocks. That said the fingerprint unlock I was also not sure I like and theoretically my face is more consistent than my burned-off fingerprints from wrenching on hot engines for years.

The 8 Plus is significantly cheaper than the other two. I do tend to hold on to phones for a long time, so that could make the argument for the 11. But I also don't use high horsepower applications and don't plan on it. So really, the 11 would win me over for better camera/editing features, or if iOS 13 is really so bloated that it needs the 11 to run well.

I have an 8plus about a year old, the home button sucks IMHO. Everything else is fine. Biggest App I use is likely Garmin Pilot, and its pretty darn sweet.

Mine was IN an Otterbox case both times. And still is. As near as I can figure, the force applied to the corners of the phone by jeans across the curve of my thigh (I carry it in my front pocket) was enough to crack the screen. I do know that I've had no further screen issues since I started using the belt pouch again. Though my (adult) kids would rather I not be seen in public with it. :)

I really don't mind the nerd clip on my belt at all. I come from an era where I wore my phone on my belt (for a while actually wore two phones on my belt) so that's fine.

But interesting that your phones were in an Otterbox case and the screen still cracked. Good to know.

I really don't mind the nerd clip on my belt at all. I come from an era where I wore my phone on my belt (for a while actually wore two phones on my belt) so that's fine.

But interesting that your phones were in an Otterbox case and the screen still cracked. Good to know.

I don't mind the belt clip phone (mostly) and I wore one that way for years. But apparently it's not chic anymore. If my kids were middle school aged, I'd chalk it up to normal kids being mortified by parents that all kids seem to go through. But they're adults...

I don't mind the belt clip phone (mostly) and I wore one that way for years. But apparently it's not chic anymore. If my kids were middle school aged, I'd chalk it up to normal kids being mortified by parents that all kids seem to go through. But they're adults...

It was never chic. Back when I was in high school the adults who wore the nerd clips were getting called out (mostly by their chic wives and kids) for being nerdy.

Then I became a nerdy adult. The Simpsons comes to mind:

shxslcl4usn21.png

It was never chic. Back when I was in high school the adults who wore the nerd clips were getting called out (mostly by their chic wives and kids) for being nerdy.

Then I became a nerdy adult. The Simpsons comes to mind:

shxslcl4usn21.png

Indeed. And I almost went back to edit to say "nerdy chic" before you posted this.

I have had a beard since beards came and went. Twice. But I don't have a man bun so I'm still not fitting in...

Reactions: Ted
I carry my iPhone X around in my right front pocket (including when I wear jeans) and it's fine. Not sure I'd want anything larger though.

I carry my iPhone X around in my right front pocket (including when I wear jeans) and it's fine. Not sure I'd want anything larger though.

That's where I carried the 8 plus and where I've been carrying my personal 8 for 6 months. No issues with the 8.

I have an 11 Pro. I was debating between it and the 11, but I liked the smaller size. The camera functions sold me since I enjoy taking pictures. I previously had a 6S, but it drowned in the Bay. The 11 Pro is somewhat bigger and noticeably heavier than the 6S. I didn't think I would like face ID. It's OK, except when it's very dark, or when the phone is lying on the desk and I'm looking at it at an extreme angle. I have never had problems with any iPhone screen breaking or scratching and I have never used a screen protector or covering, although I have a very slim case on the body.

Have the Xr, fits in front right pocket just fine. It's as big as I would like, though as anything bigger requires two thumbs to operate.

I have an 11 Pro. I was debating between it and the 11, but I liked the smaller size. The camera functions sold me since I enjoy taking pictures. I previously had a 6S, but it drowned in the Bay. The 11 Pro is somewhat bigger and noticeably heavier than the 6S. I didn't think I would like face ID. It's OK, except when it's very dark, or when the phone is lying on the desk and I'm looking at it at an extreme angle. I have never had problems with any iPhone screen breaking or scratching and I have never used a screen protector or covering, although I have a very slim case on the body.

So the compare on the Verizon site doesn't give me much useful... what are the extras that the Pro has over the base 11?

I mostly carry my phone in my jackets. In summer I've taken to wearing vests. I've found that smartphones fit poorly in pants pockets.

I know this is off topic side track, but
Basically what I've come to the conclusion of is that if you're more technical than a lot of people (like me) that Android is better. Me, I just want my aps to work and not mess with it much.
I kinda think that whole idea is not valid. Maybe it used to be a very long time ago...but I think it's something that comes out of the ability to do things IF you want to... unlocking and digging into the code I mean. Apple lock's theirs down more it seems
In reality Android just works and is very user friendly. You don't have to be "technical" at all....

I switched over to android a few years ago from being all in with apple (computers, mobile, photos, calendar, tv, etc...). Now I'm android and chromebook all the way. Back then about the only thing where apple really shined better was with contact management. Android's wasn't bad, it was just that apple's thing was better by just a little. I'm not so sure that's true any more.... My son still uses iphone so I'm still at least a little up to speed with it. After having used both long term, I shudder at the prospect of having to get an IOS device just to run foreflight.

I'll add this qualifier. My experience has been mostly with pure android, or at least very close to it. Some manufacturers (such as Samsung) put their own UI skin on top, and in my onion clutter it all up.
so switching from one brand to another within android can make for quite a different experience.

For info, I’m on an X with the slim otterbox and I can use jeans pocket standing up, but sitting is awkward. In winter it goes in the jacket pocket.

I’ve not harmed the phone but have flexed it enough to crack the glass screen protector that’s on it. Twice.

The 10XR or previous models that aren’t as wide were actually phones. Now you’re just jamming a small ipad in your pocket.

I kinda think that whole idea is not valid. Maybe it used to be a very long time ago...but I think it's something that comes out of the ability to do things IF you want to... unlocking and digging into the code I mean. Apple lock's theirs down more it seems
In reality Android just works and is very user friendly. You don't have to be "technical" at all....

I switched over to android a few years ago from being all in with apple (computers, mobile, photos, calendar, tv, etc...). Now I'm android and chromebook all the way. Back then about the only thing where apple really shined better was with contact management. Android's wasn't bad, it was just that apple's thing was better by just a little. I'm not so sure that's true any more.... My son still uses iphone so I'm still at least a little up to speed with it. After having used both long term, I shudder at the prospect of having to get an IOS device just to run foreflight.

I'll add this qualifier. My experience has been mostly with pure android, or at least very close to it. Some manufacturers (such as Samsung) put their own UI skin on top, and in my onion clutter it all up.
so switching from one brand to another within android can make for quite a different experience.

My experience is that the people who feel that way are more technical than I am. Back in college my roommate got me convinced on switching my machine over to Linux. Yes, I did enjoy the operating experience, but I couldn't make it work well without his help and if something went wrong, there was nothing I could do to fix it without his help.

Granted, it's been a while since I've tried to mess with an Android phone, but I also know that the primary ap I use on my phone is much better on iOS than Android and will always be more cutting edge on the iOS side. So, that's another reason.

I will concede that a lot of the Android phones have cameras that are equal or better than the iOS ones. So, to convince me, here's my question for the Android fans: What's the movie editing like and camera features? Image stabilization, cool stuff, convince me.

Se user forever. Finally caved and got an 11 pro. the phone is better, face recongnition is pretty bulletproof.

cons: I don't like that I now have to shuffle the phone around in my hand to reach the whole screen. I'm a big guy (6'3") with proportionate hands.

I like the phone a lot, but might go to an SE if they release a faster one as rumored in the spring and give my 11 pro to DW who doesn't mind a larger phone or sell it.

Back