new pilot request help

Don't get me wrong I agree totally it was a smart move to not press his luck. At 6 gallons an hour(ish) that is what about 3.5-4 hours in a 150. My butt and bladder have about a two hour maybe 3 max hour limit. :) Shorten your legs see a few more airports.

At 6 gallons an hour(ish) that is what about 3.5-4 hours in a 150.

Only if you use the red knob correctly. I've known owners that never leaned their engine because they were afraid of the red knob. So they flew full rich all the time. Even without instrumentation it is easy to lean to best economy by ear and get book fuel flow.

It’s a logistics issue. No car, rural airport. How to get any type of fuel?
* call the nearest airport and see if they'll bring you 10-gallons
* call a taxi/uber/lyft,. go to a hardware store to get some fuel containers, then to the nearest airport with gas, then back to your plane
* call the airport manager of field where you are and seek assistance. unless the field is abandoned there is a manager.

I think he's on his way to California. Hopefully he's just wrapping up another great/long day of flying after his recent scare and finding some gas this morning.

As I said earlier, I am wondering how mixture leaning played into the surprise yesterday. The plane is new to him. Still figuring it out.

People run autogas everyday.... Most planes have the STC to run autogas. He is in a 150, not a P-51 Mustang. The STC's for Lycoming is 87 octane or above I believe.
To run all the time you really need NON Ethanol but just to get by I would run whatever the pump has until I found better fuel.

Thanks pigpen, I did not know that!

So....Did Peter get some mogas gas.??

Or did he get 100LL.??

Is he still hitch hiking somewhere in Arkansas.??

Can he hear banjo music in the back ground.??

Did he sleep comfortably last night.??

Are the headwinds still high.??

Did he have bacon with his breakfast.??

Will he ever have bacon again.??

These questions—and many others—will be answered in the next episode of...PoA...

Hey folks,
I got lucky and filled up with AVgas from another pilot at the airport this morning.
There was some really nice folks here in AK that gave me ride and got me up the air.
The headwinds still heavy but i'm aware now.
I got as far west to Jones Field airport (F00) but grounded due to weather(high winds and turbulance). And IMC and TS moving in tonight; I maybe stuck few days. :(
However, I'm still alive to be talking about it with ya! :) Currently at motel and filling out my logbook and watching "Pythons in the Everglades" on TV.
Stay tuned for more exciting adventures of .... "The 150 pilot of Corona(not the beer)!"

Last edited:
I forget....what’s your planned route back to California? There’s enough of us here that we may be able to “keep an ear out” as you pass by. Also, what’s your N number? Think pf it as your parents waiting up for you after the prom.

I forget....what’s your planned route back to California? There’s enough of us here that we may be able to “keep an ear out” as you pass by. Also, what’s your N number? Think pf it as your parents waiting up for you after the prom.

N63132
The AP installed the tailBeacon but I couldn't see it on FlightAware?

N63132
The AP installed the tailBeacon but I couldn't see it on FlightAware?

Register for an account if you haven’t already and then turn on alerts for your own tail number. It’ll make all flights visible to you.

Otherwise flight following and being “in the system” usually makes them show up.

There are no recent tracks showing up on flightradar24.com either. Hmmm.

Anyway, thanks for giving us all an update!

I nearly got info fuel starvation today.
Flying cross-county on a new plane, with crazy headwinds and running near max RPM used more fuel then I calculated.
By time I realized the fuel situation (quarter-tank, and less then quarter on other!) I was middle of nowhere. I thought of going "little-bit further" to hit the airport WITH fuel but I decided against and turned to nearest airport(without fuel).
I found this airport and declared emergency to Memphis Center and turned staight for M77. Center was very helpful, asked a Bonanza to follow me making sure I landed on first-pass. When I landed only 3 gallons remained! :eek:
I learned alot about my new plane and will be extra conservative on fuel usage. Had my life flash before my eyes as realization I may have to crash... I was very scared. People can tell me all the mistakes I made ... I'm just glad came out alive.

DO NOT PUT AUTOMOBILE GAS IN THE PLANE AND FLY TO ANOTHER AIRPORT. You declared an emergency and you will likely receive a call from an FAA inspector investigating the emergency declaration.

What ever your solution, make sure you have 30 minute reserve to the next airport.

DO NOT PUT AUTOMOBILE GAS IN THE PLANE AND FLY TO ANOTHER AIRPORT. You declared an emergency and you will likely receive a call from an FAA inspector investigating the emergency declaration.

What ever your solution, make sure you have 30 minute reserve to the next airport.

I got lucky and filled up with AVgas from another pilot at the airport this morning.

Not to worry.

Hey folks,
There was some really nice folks here in AK that gave me ride and got me up the air.
The headwinds still heavy but i'm aware now.
I got as far west to Jones Field airport (F00) but grounded due to weather(high winds and turbulance). And IMC and TS moving in tonight; I maybe stuck few days. :(
However, I'm still alive to be talking about it with ya! :) Currently at motel and filling out my logbook and watching "Pythons in the Everglades" on TV.
Stay tuned for more exciting adventures of .... "The 150 pilot of Corona(not the beer)!"
Paging @MBDiagMan ... go find this young pup while he is in your backyard and make sure he's properly taken care of.

Peter, if you can make it to 52F (Roanoke, TX) on Saturday, there is a pilot's BBQ lunch happening nearby starting at 11:00 AM.

He landed at the one he was at with 30 minutes of fuel.

Glad you hooked up with some good people to help you out and get you on your way. Oh and I think you mean AR (Arkansas) not AK (Alaska) if you are in AK you may have made a wrong turn and fuel burn isn't going to be your biggest issue. ;)

Hey folks,
Well, it's marginal VFR condition with wind and low ceilings here in F00 and forecast for IMC next few days...so guess I'm stuck here FBO until it clears.
I didn't hear bango music but I did listen to lots of country music.
My Nav lights is mandatory to be on for ADS-B; so yes I check-listed to be on.
Typo, yes I was in Arkansas not Alaska(but would like to visit one day).
Thanks for offer, I would love to meet other pilots and try some Texas BBQ at Roanoke, but weather will keep me from flying. :rolleyes:
So here I am in Bonham, Texas for next few days, it seems. Guess I'll use that time to get know my 150 better and taxi around the runway in rain(do planes have windshield wipers). :D

Last edited:
Glad to hear you were able to get going. It might not seem like it, but this trip is truly high adventure. If you don't get scared, stuck or uncomfortable it's just a vacation. Good luck.

PH: Nice bird! Glad to see that you're taking good care of it. You seem to have a good instinct for "keeping a foot on the base," and being able to realize that an abnormal situation is best sorted-out on the ground. Make the best of any inconvenience: I admire your decision-making. Fly safely.

...You declared an emergency and you will likely receive a call from an FAA inspector investigating the emergency declaration...
I don't have statistics on that, but I have declared an emergency to ATC twice that I recall, and didn't hear from the FAA either time.

I don't have statistics on that, but I have declared an emergency to ATC twice that I recall, and didn't hear from the FAA either time.

I have 3 times and got 2 calls. Also had a traffic conflict IFR and got a call on that one too.

He landed at the one he was at with 30 minutes of fuel.

Glad you hooked up with some good people to help you out and get you on your way. Oh and I think you mean AR (Arkansas) not AK (Alaska) if you are in AK you may have made a wrong turn and fuel burn isn't going to be your biggest issue. ;)

Of course he did, and if he gets a call from the FAA he needs to land at the next airport with legal reserves too.

Of course he did, and if he gets a call from the FAA he needs to land at the next airport with legal reserves too.
Cite FAR

There is no req't in VFR flight to land with the reserve fuel still in your tank. VFR reserves relate to flight planning.

...if he gets a call from the FAA he needs to land at the next airport with legal reserves too.

Not true. He needs to take off with a legal reserves for the intended flight. Un-anticipated head winds can eat in to those reserves, and depending on conditions he could land with two milliliters of fuel left and be perfectly legal. (If that were the case, I would expect the FSDO to be very interested in his planning both on the ground and during the flight.) -Skip

I think it’s great that he declared an emergency. I’ll be honest, I would not have. I would have sweated it out. It’s not like they’d send a fuel tanker out to help. If I were on FF I’d have told them but not declared an emergency.

If I were not baby sitting grandkids I would come see you. I hangared in Bonham several years. Dennis Whitlock is a crop duster there and his office is in the terminal. Sydney Hale is a mechanic on the field with a small hangar and a 150 like yours. If you need any information or help, they are good guys and will help however they can. You can key Unicom to get in the terminal and use the phone on the wall to call for combination to get the courtesy car keys. There is good barbecue and hamburgers in Bonham.

BTW, the plane you bought looks nice. The pic looks like it was taken on the Bonham ramp.

Last edited:
Peter, it appears that you will be weathered in until tomorrow afternoon. I am in Dallas baby sitting grandkids or I would come and check on you. I live in Mount Pleasant now, so I am not real close to there by car. If it were good weather it is a very short Mooney flight, but if you had good weather you would be on your way.

Welcome to the challenging part of general aviation, weathered in somewhere. Be patient and wait until the sky is safe for your journey.

This journey is a perfect example of why an instrument rating can be so useful.

Paging @MBDiagMan ... go find this young pup while he is in your backyard and make sure he's properly taken care of.

Peter, if you can make it to 52F (Roanoke, TX) on Saturday, there is a pilot's BBQ lunch happening nearby starting at 11:00 AM.

Wish I could Mike! I am stuck in Richardson babysitting. I hope he finds the good guys on the field and has a good visit. Wouldn’t be surprised if he were offered a home cooked meal.

Back