Cancer

Greg Bockelman

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Bockelman
Getting straight to the point, Sharon has breast cancer. It is Stage 1 so it isn't particularly life threatening at this point, but...

Sharon noticed an abnormality but it didn't conform to how cancer usually shows up. Can't tell you much about that because I just don't know. But a current mammogram came up with a positive image, or however those things present themselves. So a biopsy was performed. At first glance, it appeared that it wasn't going to be a real big deal. Yes it was cancerous but a lumpectomy and radiation should take care of it. But after further testing, and a genetic test of some sort, the results showed that it was one of the more aggressive forms of cancer.

So treatment went from lumpectomy and radiation to chemo then to dealing with the lump to radiation or whatever other form of chemical therapy there is for this sort of thing. Dealing with the lump involves anything from a lumpectomy to full blown radical double mastectomy. Jury is still out on which direction we will go, but Sharon has extensive family history of breast cancer so that is weighing on her mind.

Pretty much all of the preliminary stuff has happened. First course of chemo will happen next week, then it will be every three weeks for a total of 6 weeks. Then a month off, then whatever we decide to do with the lump, and then about 6 or 8 months of follow up treatments, whatever that entails.

The treatments up to and including the surgery will be done here in the KC area. After that, the follow up treatments will happen back in Guam. Which means that for the next 5 or 6 months I will be commuting back and forth to Guam.

This is pretty much the Cliff's Notes version. It is all a little more complicated than that, as is typically the case. Anyway, it is going to be an interesting ride for the next year and beyond.

Greg, thank you for sharing this. I wish you and Sharon all the best as she begins treatment.

So sorry to read about Sharon's cancer. It sounds like it was caught early, so there are options to be had (which is a good thing vs. the alternative). Prayers for Sharon!

Oh my Greg, I am so sorry to hear this.
We've been through something very similar in our family.
The treatment options and effectiveness thankfully seem to keep getting progressively better.
Prayers for you both.

Wow, Greg. I’m so sorry to hear about this. Praying for the best.

Damn, so sorry to hear. Sending wishes for good treatment and recovery

Keeping you both in my prayers!

Thanks for sharing and give Sharon both our love. Cancer is so obnoxious.

Karen has multiple friends who have done elective surgery to uninstall both tatas from the operating system, knowing their family history is terrible.

Only one partially regrets it and that only because she had both huge tracts of land, and huge complications because of it. The others all call it a win.

This in a women’s chorus of roughly 170, the number of women who opted out is relatively high.

Not saying it’s right for everyone, just sharing we are surrounded by folks who’be gone that route when appropriate and almost a zero for those who regretted it later.

Just a data point. Or about ten of them.

Whatever way it goes, I’m sure you two will think it over and make a good decision after other treatment and such.

Very sorry to hear this news, Greg! My wife had colon cancer about six years ago. Had surgery and been cancer-free since then. It can work out ok and I wish you and Sharon all the best!

Hey Greg, thinking all the good thoughts for you two!

Good luck. My mother and sister both survived breast cancer. My mom for another 35 years (until a different, unrelated cancer got her). My sister is still going strong at 60.

Greg, I'm so sorry to hear of this, I will be thinking and praying for you both.

Sorry to hear that. There have been considerable advances in breast cancer and it sounds like her treatment team is taking advantage of all of them. My mom and her sisters have been through that wringer, but that was before some the recent advances in diagnostics and treatment.

Greg, sad to hear this. Thoughts with you and Sharon and hoping for the best possible outcome.

A friend whom we saw over the holidays is just completing treatment - it consisted of chemo, then a lumpectomy (which apparently got it all) and then 8 weeks of radiation. She'll be finishing the radiation in a couple of weeks. Mentioned that to let you know that there is a pretty good chance of success.

I'm sure you have good medical professionals. Trust them to help make the right decisions.

Wishing you both the best.

Damn, sorry to hear this, Greg. Sending both of you best wishes for a good outcome.

Sorry to hear this news, but the good news is that it's Stage 1 and treatable. Oncology research is one of the most dynamic of all of the medical specialties, so treatment protocols are always changing and doing so on the basis of sound principles of investigation and analysis. The advent of genetic testing and epigenetic treatments have dramatically expanded the management options for successful long term outcomes. Good luck with it all.

Greg, sorry to hear. Good news is you guys caught it early, meaning much better odds for a positive outcome. Treatments for breast cancer have improved markedly in the last decade, so do what the docs tell you. Good luck.

Glad it was caught early and is treatable. It's amazing how much family history comes into play with regard to likelihood of developing cancer, especially with breast cancer.

Sorry to hear Greg - glad it was caught early. Keep us up to speed on Sharon's progress.

Very sorry to hear this, and wishing your wife a speedy and full recovery.

Our prayer continue, we want the best for Sharon.

There’s a reason one of my largest donations each year is for cancer research.

Good thoughts, good vibes out to the universe for both of you.

Karen’s other commentary for y’all...

“That sucks! She should have a good prognosis though with stage 1. Every woman I know personally who has had it has survived. Early detection!!!!”

My girlfriend just got the all clear after two years. Some of the drugs she must take for years have quite nasty effects, but it's so much better than the alternative.
There are huge resources available, luckily, to help determine a course of treatment that will be least disruptive to quality of life.

Last edited:
Greg, very sorry to hear this, and will be praying for you and your wife. My wife has had quite a few scares, but thankfully they've all been just scares.. all biopsies negative. God bless you both.

Dang. Hate to hear this, Greg. Praying for you and Sharon and all your family!

Greg..it sounds trite, but this too shall pass. My ex-wife and I went thru breast cancer, a double-masectomy, and a couple rounds of chemo together. She's a survivor for ten years now. No longer married, but still friends.

Sharon is fortunate to have someone like you for support. You'll both have times when you need to lean on the other. Acknowledge that it needs to go both ways, as you'll have bad days also. My prayers are for both of you.

Jim

Sorry to hear the difficult new Greg. My daughter works in a cancer clinic as a first surgical assistant and as a nurse practitioner. They have an R&D side to her clinic and she has been telling us the survival rates are improving, the drugs are getting better with less side effects, and the radiation treatments more accurate. So there is more hope today for better and more effective treatments. Our prayer are with you and Sharon during this difficult period.

Best wishes and prayers for you both. Explore all your options for treatment and support. Your life will change in almost every way. Try to keep each day as a precious gift. Remember you are not alone and help is available for everything and do not be afraid to ask for it. Try not to waste time and energy asking why and questioning the past because you can't go back and change things and take comfort knowing you did the best you could at the time.

Chemo will kick your butt for a while but over time you will get stronger and learn your comfort zone.

Be kind to yourself and each other! Never miss an opportunity to show your love!

Sorry to hear Greg. Good that it was caught early. Prayers to you both!

So sorry to hear Greg, but as @steingar said, treatment has come an awfully long way recently.

My best friends SIL recently had a double mastectomy even though they think they caught it early. She too has a frightening family history, a very large pair and it was a rather agressive strain. One year later, they tell her she is completely in remission with no EOD (Evidence of Disease). She is glad she did this instead of taking half measures and worrying if she gambled incorrectly with her life. Now she says life is actually much easier because she is a runner and they don't bounce like they used to, and clothes are easier to fit.

Back