High PTH

H

HighPTH

Received Blood work back with an elevated PTH. Options for treatment, obviously Calcinet is out??

Searching back in the dark dusty archives for what Dr. Bruce (@bbchien) said about hyperthyroidism, I found he said:

It's not the meds, it's the condition. The meds for hyperthyroidism (like tapazole) would indicate a state in which no issuance can occur. Stable hypothyroid hormone replacement, documented, however, is not an issue.
Doggtyred said:
Bruce... I know you dont give medical advice... but is it worth asking that while Hyperthyroid is disqualifying, that ablation/destruction of the thyroid and then medicating the resulting hypothyroid condition (with lifelong meds).... is THAT scenario certifiable with stable medication?
YES. And of course that is the COMMON pathway- tapazole, I-131 ablation, synthroid.....3 months of stability, then issunace.

parathyroid, Mike
not thyroid
and, a high pth can be things other than a parathyroid problem...that’s why either more info needs to be supplied - or the cause needs to be tracked down.
But then, IANAD.

Why, in the name of dog, did someone check your PTH level? It’s certainly not in routine screening blood work.
Do you have issues with renal insufficiency, hypercalcemia, nephrolithiasis, etc?
Must be more to this story.

High PTH is not a problem. It is a sign of a problem potentially. Requires rather through work up that a good internist can start and a decent endocrinologist can finish.

High PTH is not a problem. It is a sign of a problem potentially. Requires rather through work up that a good internist can start and a decent endocrinologist can finish.
Good to know.

@bbchien and @lbfjrmd ... any certification issues about this that airmen need to be aware of? What needs doing and what needs to be brought to you as the AME?

I wonder if we’ve been trolled here?

I don't think we're being trolled.
If your calcium gets high enough it's really tough on Heart and Brain. Meanwhile your bones are turning into swiss cheese. Oh and I forgot the kidney stones.

This is one to get addressed, not to try to "get certified". :(

I don't think we're being trolled.". :(
Agree with your concern over hyperparathyroidism, it’s consequences (and causes)....but sure is a strange story: high PTH on “bloodwork”, no other history or follow up provided.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back