Daily Pic

Who says desert scenery is boring?

The last two images were taken at a place called Mormon Battalion Christmas Camp. I had not heard of this little facet of Arizona history before, but it is fascinating. According to Wikipedia,

The Mormon Battalion, the only religion-based unit in United States military history, served from July 1846 – July 1847 during the Mexican–American War of 1846–1848. The battalion was a volunteer unit of between 534 and 559 Latter-day Saint men, led by Mormon company officers commanded by regular U.S. Army officers. During its service, the battalion made a grueling march of nearly 2,000 miles from Council Bluffs, Iowa, to San Diego, California.

The battalion’s march and service supported the eventual cession of much of the American Southwest from Mexico to the United States, especially the Gadsden Purchase of 1853 of southern Arizona and New Mexico. The march also opened a southern wagon route to California. Veterans of the battalion played significant roles in America's westward expansion in California, Utah, Arizona and other parts of the West.
The Battalion picked up a guide along the way in New Mexico. His name was Jean-Baptiste Charbonneau, who as an infant traveled with his mother Sacajawea to the Pacific with Lewis & Clark in 1805-06.

The Christmas Camp is where the Battalion spent the Christmas of 1846. It's now a popular, if remote, campground and hiking area. Getting there by land is arduous, and tough on a vehicle's suspension.

Who says desert scenery is boring?

The last two images were taken at a place called Mormon Battalion Christmas Camp. I had not heard of this little facet of Arizona history before, but it is fascinating. According to Wikipedia,

The Mormon Battalion, the only religion-based unit in United States military history, served from July 1846 – July 1847 during the Mexican–American War of 1846–1848. The battalion was a volunteer unit of between 534 and 559 Latter-day Saint men, led by Mormon company officers commanded by regular U.S. Army officers. During its service, the battalion made a grueling march of nearly 2,000 miles from Council Bluffs, Iowa, to San Diego, California.

The battalion’s march and service supported the eventual cession of much of the American Southwest from Mexico to the United States, especially the Gadsden Purchase of 1853 of southern Arizona and New Mexico. The march also opened a southern wagon route to California. Veterans of the battalion played significant roles in America's westward expansion in California, Utah, Arizona and other parts of the West.
The Battalion picked up a guide along the way in New Mexico. His name was Jean-Baptiste Charbonneau, who as an infant traveled with his mother Sacajawea to the Pacific with Lewis & Clark in 1805-06.

The Christmas Camp is where the Battalion spent the Christmas of 1846. It's now a popular, if remote, campground and hiking area. Getting there by land is arduous, and tough on a vehicle's suspension.
My great great great great grandfather was in the battalion.

YOW-LGA over upstate NY

gTp49NV.jpg

A very airplaney day. 16*F at home. Couldn't feel my fingers by the time I got her preflighted and pulled out
IMG_20200108_075249955.jpg IMG_20200108_080619337_HDR.jpg IMG_20200108_093157390.jpg 5 hours later violating Disney's TFR
IMG_20200108_155450299.jpg couldn't resist taking a picture of this beautiful 'Bo
KIMG0458.JPG success!
IMG_20200108_172412851.jpg
Heading to universal tomorrow. I'll be sure to get a shot of Jimmy Buffet's Albatross.

Decent tailwind...saw 175 ground speed for the first couple hours. 6 hours Hobbs with 1 fuel stop. Tiring, but WAYYYY better than driving 16hrs.

A very airplaney day. 16*F at home. Couldn't feel my fingers by the time I got her preflighted and pulled out
View attachment 81730 View attachment 81731 View attachment 81732 5 hours later violating Disney's TFR
View attachment 81733 couldn't resist taking a picture of this beautiful 'Bo
View attachment 81734 success!
View attachment 81735
Heading to universal tomorrow. I'll be sure to get a shot of Jimmy Buffet's Albatross.

Decent tailwind...saw 175 ground speed for the first couple hours. 6 hours Hobbs with 1 fuel stop. Tiring, but WAYYYY better than driving 16hrs.
Awesome! How's the performance of the Dakota when compared to the Archer? Similar handling characteristics?

It’s the piper equivalent of a 182. Pretty different.

Not really. The 182 and 172 are entirely different airframes that look similar. The Dakota and the Archer are essentially the same except for the engine and prop.

When I went from a 172 to a 182, I was surprised at how different it was. When I went from an Archer to a Dakota... Well, there wasn't much difference at all except in performance and having to pull a little harder to get the nose up on landing.

Not really. The 182 and 172 are entirely different airframes that look similar. The Dakota and the Archer are essentially the same except for the engine and prop.

When I went from a 172 to a 182, I was surprised at how different it was. When I went from an Archer to a Dakota... Well, there wasn't much difference at all except in performance and having to pull a little harder to get the nose up on landing.
Performance wise. We know all PA28s are too small and Cessnas are better :D

Back