How do you plan for international and/or multi-day trips? Ex: Flying the Caribbean Jan2020...

wayneda40

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
waynemcc
Flying the Caribbean (Part 1) - Planning

Departing mid-Jan2020 with two very good friends on a 16-day flying adventure... US West Coast to East Coast, followed by 5 islands in the Caribbean.
  1. How far in advance do you start planning?
  2. What methods and tools do you use?
  3. For multi-day trips, are you mostly flying with family, friends, and/or fellow pilots?
  4. How do you research the climate in the region?
  5. How do you watch for weather trends say a couple weeks out?
  6. If you have several possible destinations, do you prioritize a high activity level or tranquility?
  7. What safety measures do you take when flying over water?
  8. Do you enjoy the "planning" portion just as much as the trip itself, or is planning drudgery for you?
  9. Regarding specifically the Caribbean... any thoughts/questions/suggestions?
Thoughts, questions, and suggestions? I'd love to hear from you.
Thanks for your insight and enjoy the video!
Wayne, the GeezerGeek Pilot

That that appears to be a fun trip. I have made many trip through the Bahamas on to the Dominican Republic, Haiti, and Puerto Rico over the years. Here are a few suggestions for that part of the world.

Your timing is as good as it gets for good weather in the Caribbean. Very small to no chance of tropical disturbance.

Join Caribbean Flying Adventures. http://caribbeanflyingadventures.com/ Jim Parker has been a very valuable resource for current information on that part of the world for many years. His keeps his website up to date and is more than willing to talk with you about the particulars of your trip. The best $35 you can spend of an adventure in that part of the world.

Gas prices are currently north of $7-$8 per gallon, budget accordingly. A lot of stop are cash only for fuel. No credit cards. Every one takes dollars.

Personally, I would pass on the Turks and Caicos. Their fees are above outrageous. I checked for just a fuel stop last year and was quoted a reasonable gas price, but over $200 in fees. Gas in Exuma and go onto the Dominican Republic for fuel.

I use Foreflight for planning and navigation charts. The trip across the US will probably have the worst weather. Unless there is a cold front that pushes far south weather should not be an issue past Florida. I like a mixture of out islands and cities, but I am low key when it comes to the night life. let me know if you need more info.

We just got home from our second trip to the Bahamas. Flew into North Eleuthera to clear customs and put on some gas (cheapest in the Bahamas), then on to Cat Island for 4 nights, then to Long Island for 3 nights.

1. Started planning stops a month out, but they can change because of weather (coming from MN). So hotels were booked only a day before we left. (except for our stays in the Bahamas)
2. Garmin Pilot, FlyQ, AOPA, and the Bahama flying guide....and pireps
3. Family, wife and two adult kids, 20 & 23
4. Can be tough in the Bahamas, although the weather is usually good. No radar available.
5. More concerned about weather in northern half of US
6. Tranquility for us, but after spending 4 days on Cat Island I think we would have rather stayed longer on Long Island, more to do and more places open.
7. Life Jackets, no raft. We just didn't have the room/load for a raft. If I had it I'd sure take one.
8. I love the planning, part of the fun of flying it myself.
9. Only done the Bahamas, pretty GA friendly. Once you get thru customs and get your cruising permit you are free to fly. It can be tough to file and fly IFR. I filed before leaving North Eleuthera for back to Fort Pierce and Bahamas ATC couldn't find it. Kind of a PITA. Once I was switched to Miami ATC they had it...all was good. Fort pierce customs was super easy, less than 5 min to get thru. Bahamas customs is good, just hard for me to understand at times, old bad ears! I don't think I'd do well going places that don't speak English.

It can be loads of fun!

Second the comments on Turks and caicos. Everybody has said the fees are steep, even for a technical stop. If you're planning on RON any ways as part of your tourism bit, then it may not matter as much. Other than that have fun. Expensive trip, but its only money right?

That that appears to be a fun trip. I have made many trip through the Bahamas on to the Dominican Republic, Haiti, and Puerto Rico over the years. Here are a few suggestions for that part of the world.

Your timing is as good as it gets for good weather in the Caribbean. Very small to no chance of tropical disturbance.

Join Caribbean Flying Adventures. http://caribbeanflyingadventures.com/ Jim Parker has been a very valuable resource for current information on that part of the world for many years. His keeps his website up to date and is more than willing to talk with you about the particulars of your trip. The best $35 you can spend of an adventure in that part of the world.

Gas prices are currently north of $7-$8 per gallon, budget accordingly. A lot of stop are cash only for fuel. No credit cards. Every one takes dollars.

Personally, I would pass on the Turks and Caicos. Their fees are above outrageous. I checked for just a fuel stop last year and was quoted a reasonable gas price, but over $200 in fees. Gas in Exuma and go onto the Dominican Republic for fuel.

I use Foreflight for planning and navigation charts. The trip across the US will probably have the worst weather. Unless there is a cold front that pushes far south weather should not be an issue past Florida. I like a mixture of out islands and cities, but I am low key when it comes to the night life. let me know if you need more info.

Jim -- super input!! Thanks a bunch.
Wayne

$200 for fees sounds like a bargain. Yogyakarta was $2,000.
Did you know in advance? With your extensive journey, probably could have skipped that destination for another with adequate services and a reasonable bunch of additional fees.

And Medellin (SKRG) fees were US$933, including 4 days parking but without avgas.

Did you know in advance? With your extensive journey, probably could have skipped that destination for another with adequate services and a reasonable bunch of additional fees.

Everywhere in Indonesia was like that, and I didn't want to skip the country entirely.

Great video explaining the trip. Do you plan on making a similar video of the trip after you return?

Great video explaining the trip. Do you plan on making a similar video of the trip after you return?
Thanks for watching! Yes, I expect to post one or more videos of the actual journey... probably in early February.
Wayne

Cluemeister, very very well. Thanks for asking!
Videos should start showing up in a week or so at:
https://www.youtube.com/user/waynemcc

Wayne

Places visited:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XLfUKqke3XakMc7G8
XLfUKqke3XakMc7G8

Attachments

• IMG_1320.png
    IMG_1320.png
    875.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Back