Model airplane for my Uncle

Andy Hexter

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Andyhexter
I am looking to get a custom model of my Uncles plane and many people recommend factory direct models. The models look nice, but are a little more than I wanted to spend. So I want to see if anyone has any feedback about them

Depends upon if they are available. I found a model of my Cherokee on Amazon and plan to paint it exactly as it is and put it in a plexiglass box. What plane does your uncle have?

If you want a custom, exact match then Factory Direct does great work. The details are meticulous and the cost commensurate for the hands on effort IMO.

Factory Direct Models seems to be the only one I’ve found that does a clear windshield option. You just have to send them a bunch of pictures of the interior and panel. They do the rest and you’ll be stinned at the results. It really sets them apart from any other company.

FDM does a good job (I have two of their models) but I would note two things:
- as mentioned by Kent, they need a bunch of pictures and guidance to get it right. Not sure of your specifics but if you are trying to do this as a surprise for your uncle and/or don’t have much aviation knowledge, it won’t be as easy as ordering him something from amazon
- the process takes several (maybe 3-4? I can’t recall exactly) months so hopefully that fits your timeline

I'm getting ready to order one from customairmodels.com . Here's what he sent me when i enquired:

Piper Cherokee Archer II (PA-28-181) in custom colors and markings
1:35 scale
wing: 12.00", length: 08.17". $159 plus $45SH
($85 to start construction, )

1:28 scale
wing: 15.00", length: 10.21". $189 plus $45SH
($95 to start construction, )

1:23 scale
wing: 18.26", length: 12.43". $245 plus $60SH (for this size free brass plate with your choice of logo or text engraved, $25 value)
($105 to start construction, )

The images on their website look good. I would kind of like to know which third world country they are made in. I'm not going to be too picky, as this is a club plane and not exactly my dream ride, but I thought it'd be cool to have a model of the plane I got my license in. I'll let you know if I'm happy with the product or if they steal my identity.

This thread prompted me to place an order for a 1:21 scale model (15.43" wingspan) of my Zodiac with Ricky at customairmodels.com yesterday. He says 3 to 4 weeks for the model to be completed, but I asked for a clear plastic bubble canopy with interior seats and instrument panel which will likely take more time. I sent him a half dozen photos and a 3-view drawing and paid up front.

We'll see what happens.

Took me a while to dig this thread back up.... after our donut run this morning, DHL showed up with a package from the Philippines. I'm pretty impressed for the money. It's not perfect, but pretty dang impressive for what it cost. IMG_20200507_121516827.jpg IMG_20200507_093631554_HDR.jpg

Took me a while to dig this thread back up.... after our donut run this morning, DHL showed up with a package from the Philippines. I'm pretty impressed for the money. It's not perfect, but pretty dang impressive for what it cost. View attachment 85564 View attachment 85565

So, what did it cost? If you don’t want to be specific for some reason, ballpark?
Talking hundreds, or ??

Post #7... I got the 1:28 so $234 total. Ordered it in January, but im sure in would've gotten it faster if the world hadn't ended in the meantime.

I'm still waiting for mine. A month ago, Ricky emailed me photos (which looked pretty good) and said it would be prepared for shipment. I sent him an email a couple of days ago asking when I might expect delivery. So far no answer.

Based on the photo, I'd say the price ($234 including shipping) was fair; not a bargain, but fair.

N601KE Model 1.jpg

N601KE front left quarter sm.jpg

I'm still waiting for mine. A month ago, Ricky emailed me photos (which looked pretty good) and said it would be prepared for shipment. I sent him an email a couple of days ago asking when I might expect delivery. So far no answer.

Based on the photo, I'd say the price ($234 including shipping) was fair; not a bargain, but fair.

View attachment 85637

View attachment 85638
He emailed me photos and I paid the balance the next day. Didn't hear anything for a week, so I emailed and he responded the next day saying they shipped it the day I emailed, which was a friday. It showed up here Thursday. You might ping him again if you've been waiting a month. He did send me a tracking number from DHL. I was a little afraid it would be 6 months with everything going on. No idea how bad the virus is in the Philippines.

Yours looks really good in the pictures; there's a few details they missed on mine, most obviously the eyebrow panel over the top of the windshield, the landing lights, and the script on the cowl. I think I could've gotten a nicer model, but it would've cost double. I might do that if I ever own something really special like a C195, but for a run of the mill Archer, I'm pretty happy.

He emailed me photos and I paid the balance the next day. Didn't hear anything for a week, so I emailed and he responded the next day saying they shipped it the day I emailed, which was a friday. It showed up here Thursday. You might ping him again if you've been waiting a month. He did send me a tracking number from DHL. I was a little afraid it would be 6 months with everything going on. No idea how bad the virus is in the Philippines.
OK; now I'm worried. I paid the $234 up front when I ordered, and after he said he wanted the balance after I approved the photos I sent him a copy of my receipt showing I had made full payment. He acknowledged full payment and said they weren't accustomed to payment in advance and would prepare shipment.

He never sent me a tracking number.

Update. Although I didn't hear from Ricky, I did receive a text message last night from DHL Express with a tracking number saying estimated delivery date Thursday, May 14. I went to DHL tracking, plugged in the tracking number, and the package is being shipped by "BACK OFFICE BOSS" from Manila.

My model was ordered and paid for on January 8 and I expect delivery on May 14, so it took a little over four months. It's a far cry from the promised 3 - 4 weeks, but I suspect the pandemic is responsible for some of the delay.

Color me relieved.

Back