ADSB Garmin vs Skybeacon

Jamie696

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jamie696
I have a Garmin GTX 345 installed in one airplane and a skybeacon installed in another. My wife likes to see where I am and how my trips are progressing at any given time. My Garmin shows up flightradar24 and flight aware, my skybeacon shows up sporadically only on flight aware only after I have landed. I'm assured the beacon is working properly by my installer with navigation lights on plus its NOT on anonymous mode. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The crowdsourced receiver networks (flightaware, etc) generally pick up 1090 (your 345) but not 978 (your skybeacon).

I just started a thread last night on something similar. All the planes with 1090ES show up on FlightAware from beginning to end of flight and that is for IFR, vfr and vfr without flight following. A plane just recently equipped with a tail beacon never showed up. I could see him directly with our 345's adsb in.

It would seem that unless you pull FF or file IFR, the 1090ES are more likely to show up on the tracking sites but others are indicating their skybeacon / tailbeacons are showing up.

The tracking site only read the 1090ES, not the UAT. Flight aware does show some VFR flights with flight following and most of not all Ifr flights, but this is unrelated to ADS-B.

I was wondering if planes with 978 that are picked up by the ADSB GBT's are somehow making it into the flight tracking sites - or put another way - can FlightAware obtain all the ADSB ground based tower received data and augment with their own pi-aware trackers?

Or maybe some ATC systems are adding ADSB info to their data and flight aware can get that data?

Thanks guys, I knew there was different frequencies and you should choose wisely depending on your mission if you want weather etc. I was unaware about the ground based 3rd party only receiving 1090.

Flightaware recently updated their feeder software and does now track 978 as well, but it'll take a while for a lot of the feeders to add a second SDR stick and antenna and start feeding that data to get consistent data around the US.

It’s just the old “ you get what you pay for.” I have a 345 in the Mooney and an Appareo Stratus in the Cessna both of them show every flight reliably. This shortcoming with the beacon does not surprise me. It has appeared to be chinch from the start. The good news with the beacon is that those folks didn’t let Garmin run rough shod over them.

It’s just the old “ you get what you pay for.” I have a 345 in the Mooney and an Appareo Stratus in the Cessna both of them show every flight reliably. This shortcoming with the beacon does not surprise me. It has appeared to be chinch from the start. The good news with the beacon is that those folks didn’t let Garmin run rough shod over them.
Trackability on third party websites is not a weakness of a skyBeacon.

Back