Millenials in the news AGAIN......

...and in others news of the last couple of weeks.

Millennials aren't really the snowflakes, studies show that it is the boomers who are the most sensitive, easily offended generation. Imagine that...and it's what I've been saying forevah.

I really despise my generation. Mostly made up of self-centered...I won't go further...

Millennials aren't really the snowflakes, studies show that it is the boomers who are the most sensitive, easily offended generation. Imagine that...and it's what I've been saying forevah.

I really despise my generation. Mostly made up of self-centered...I won't go further...
Don't worry about it, us millenials are already criticizing Z'ers for not doing things like we did. Like having cellphones in elementary school and not knowing what the world was like pre-internet.

I'm usually not into grouping people (as tempting as it is) - I have seen people who (I think) are azzwholes, of every age, color, size, shape, political leaning, etc, etc.

However, back to the original post and its intent, I have observed there is a growing subset of people who are intently focused on 'going past' science & long-proven facts; they want to somehow do better than past generations (which is understandable and admirable) - but too commonly they go off the deep end with absolutely ridiculous notions.
And I now have enough age (ugh) that I have been able to watch them go through this learning process.....where they rediscover the facts we knew all along.

Other "news" highlights from the same source:
"Do you prefer appetizers or dessert?"
"Hoda and Jenna chat about their New Year's Resolutions"
"Hoda and Al compete in blind drawing game"
"Oprah Winfrey launches 2020 Vision Tour: What's in store"

At least you're keeping yourself informed.

Nauga,
and the cult of celebrity
I bypassed all those. Not interested. But if you are, please go ahead and watch them. :)

Which generation is that? Not sure how old you are. So serious question.

Which generation is that? Not sure how old you are. So serious question.
I thought it was obvious from the context but maybe not...I'm a boomer. A very late, ain't gonna be no pension for me, boomer. But a boomer nonetheless. (as a whole) I hate boomers.

Last edited:
"Hoda and Jenna chat about their New Year's Resolutions"
"Hoda and Al compete in blind drawing game"

I don't know who those even refer to. Something tells me I'm glad.

Us GenXers never seem to get this shade thrown at us. I only hear the rabbling of boomers vs millenials or vice-versa.

The moon is on a 28 day cycle.. so are women, and most biological processes are related.. it's all nonsense to this millennial

BUT.. if I chose to believe in something, astrology is more plausible than some other beliefs.. ways of life

I'm usually not into grouping people (as tempting as it is) - I have seen people who (I think) are azzwholes, of every age, color, size, shape, political leaning, etc, etc.
^^^
This!
Each generation turns out the way they were raised. People haven't evolved in 20-30-40 or more years so the changes must have been induced by the generation before them. Therefore it is illogical to blame any generation. You can only blame the generation that raise them, but even then, you have to blame the generation that raised that generation, etc, etc, etc.

Boomers (of which I am one) are no better or worse than any other generation. Neither are X'ers or Millennials.

..(as a whole) I hate boomers.

Just curious as to why anyone would think that statement is a good way to refute posts pointing out perceived negative characteristics of any other age demographic. I mean.. it kind of automatically renders the opinion of the poster as equally invalid and prejudiced, no? As a whole, I hate no demographic. There are isolated individuals in every demographic that I find objectionable, and many individuals in all demographics that I respect.

I'm not a big fan of the changes in societal values over the past couple decades, and since those born in the past couple decades in general subscribe to those changed values more as society continues to (d)evolve, I tend to find less to admire in what I perceive to be an increased focus on self and image. The younger you are, the greater the ratio of your exposure to this focus on self-importance, self-understanding, self-representation, self-promotion, etc. has been. It can't be helped. The Greatest Generation truly was, in my eyes. They did the most with the least at the greatest sacrifices. The rest of us have been reaping the benefits ever since, and have become increasingly ungrateful and unaware of just how easy and wonderful our lives are, in comparison. I'm a "boomer," and have lived through hard times, very comfortable times, and everything in between. My hardest times were nothing compared to what my parents went through... and they were the most grateful, least self-centered people I've ever met. To use your phrase, "as a whole," millenials value appearance over substance, accolades over anonymous benevolence, and take great pride in what was, for previous generations, considered routine basic productivity. The fault lies, in large part, on those of us in previous generations.. the pride and praise we had and gave our kids for routine, base-line behavior and average accomplishments became expected by our kids, and the lack of accountability for poor behavior and and protection from failure didn't do them any good either.

I'll say it for you... "OK, boomer."

Last edited:
Lemme see if I got this...people basing their opinions of their own personalities on when they were born is dumb, but people basing their opinions of other people's personalities on when they were born is not. Got it.

Personally this boomer going to judge you by the way you act, not the way someone else acts.

Nauga,
person to person

Last edited:

I should make it clear that likewise I have seen Wonderful, Heart-of-Gold people in every walk of life, every physical make-up, regardless of birth year, etc!

There are exceptions in every generation, and there are those that generalize. Choose wisely.

Lemme see if I got this...people basing their opinions of their own personalities on when they were born is dumb, but people basing their opinions of other people's personalities on when they were born is not. Got it.
In fairness, I can see the conditions of the community at large (including prevalent parenting styles, economic conditions, etc.) that exist during the time period of one's birth and early formative years having a generalized effect much more so than the particular month of one's birth. But I take your point. As a Virgo, I tend to be pretty skeptical, too.

Last edited:
I thought it was obvious from the context but maybe not...I'm a boomer. A very late, ain't gonna be no pension for me, boomer. But a boomer nonetheless. (as a whole) I hate boomers.

I am supposedly a tail end boomer, yet I have nothing in common with that generation. I was but a kid during all the free love, sex, drugs, rock n roll, and Woodstock stuff. I identify more with Gen-X. I remember me and most of my friends reading this when it came out: https://www.amazon.com/Generation-X...578318199&sprefix=generation+x,aps,144&sr=8-1

There have always been more Astrologers than Astronomers. Nothing new here at all.

Yeah, it's definitely not just millennials. I'd say 15 to 20% of the e-mail inquiries I get about my solar system astronomy class refer to it as "astrology"... and this is almost all from college-age kids. Some of them continue to call it that in person after the class has started <facepalm>. This last semester I even had a question about whether I believed in horoscopes. At least when they ask like that, it's a teachable moment...

Yeah, it's definitely not just millennials. I'd say 15 to 20% of the e-mail inquiries I get about my solar system astronomy class refer to it as "astrology"... and this is almost all from college-age kids. Some of them continue to call it that in person after the class has started <facepalm>. This last semester I even had a question about whether I believed in horoscopes. At least when they ask like that, it's a teachable moment...
You think that's bad, try telling them about GMOs.

The moon is on a 28 day cycle.. so are women, and most biological processes are related.. it's all nonsense to this millennial

BUT.. if I chose to believe in something, astrology is more plausible than some other beliefs.. ways of life
Plus, I don't think any stars or planets, or even those following them, ever abused little boys or started conquests and other global conflicts in an attempt to force their beliefs on others.

A relatively benign and innocuous belief system by comparison.

I am supposedly a tail end boomer, yet I have nothing in common with that generation. I was but a kid during all the free love, sex, drugs, rock n roll, and Woodstock stuff. I identify more with Gen-X. I remember me and most of my friends reading this when it came out: https://www.amazon.com/Generation-X-Tales-Accelerated-Culture/dp/031205436X/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1KCUZUOZXE2AB&keywords=generation+x+douglas+coupland&qid=1578318199&sprefix=generation+x,aps,144&sr=8-1
That is exactly how I feel.

I just feel very sorry for today's kids. I worked my way through college on mostly minimum-wage jobs and came out completely debt-free. Try to do that today. Ain't happenin'! Because the 80s came and the government subsidies for higher education started being reduced...and have continued since. Today no older adult wants to pay a dime in taxes to help future generations...everyone is all about their own back pocket. The prevailing attitude is: I have my pension, but screw you, work at Walmart all your life so that I can get cheap goods.

Just think where this country would be today if the people back in the 30s, during the great depression, had espoused this mindset.

I just feel very sorry for today's kids. I worked my way through college on mostly minimum-wage jobs and came out completely debt-free. Try to do that today. Ain't happenin'!

I did my undergrad the same way. Partial Scholarship, multiple jobs and living on Raman and graduated debt free. No car etc. (1986 grad).

We don't have kids but in tracking my friends kids and their higher education I'm amazed that while the price of school has gone up (disproportionally to value IMO), the opportunities for scholarships, grants and work study has equally exploded. Both of the kids next door are walking away from University of Maryland debt free (well, one did three years ago and the other is this spring) but they sure worked in High School, saved every penny, researched and got awarded many grants (some for only a few hundred but they add up) and each got a scholarship that covered some level of the education and both did work-study in the summers. Neither had a car in school. The son an engineering degree and the daughter an accounting/finance degree so very hirable. Both plan on masters but doing so by taking advantage of their employers programs to get them and not roll right into school being their only job.

Well done on both their parts and it was hard work to make it so.

I worked my way through college on mostly minimum-wage jobs and came out completely debt-free.
Yes! Thank you!

..and I think what most people see as "laziness" in millennials is just abject apathy.. as a millennial you'll graduate with a meaningless college diploma and $160K in debt.. just to get a $50K/yr job and struggle to pay rent and buy food each month while your parents pay for your phone bill and you spiral into a depression because you follow celebrities on Instagram who appear to have perfect lives. Sure, you can push yourself a bit harder, try to save a little more.. but guess what, that extra $75/month you'll save, or the extra $5K/yr you'll make really won't make a meaningful dent.. so why bother? It's like trying to save the Titanic by bailing it out with a teaspoon.. I'd give up too

..and if you call any of this to light you'll have wealthy 50+ year old people tell you you're lazy and to just pull yourself up by the bootstraps. There is very little bootstrap pulling someone can do if they bring home $2K per month after taxes..

+2,000 after tax income per month
-700 student loan payment
-1,000 rent (this is a joke, you either live somewhere miserable or you have roommates splitting a 3K rent)
=$300 for food/entertainment/savings/everything else.. that's like $10/day.. so instead you defer your student loan payments while the interest grows and you slowly dig yourself into a credit card debt hole.. you keep telling yourself it's okay and that someday you'll earn more and pay it all off.. but eventually you're 37 and still in a hole

Life honestly SUCKS for many millennials

**sure, many get lucky.. but the scenario above is the reality for a *lot* of people. This is also why most politicians, and religions, don't connect with these people

Also, the "why do you have to live somewhere expensive, why don't you go to a state school in Nebraska and live there.. it's cheaper!"
..because you were born in, raised, and grew up in, say, Connecticut.. you were told that a college degree from Fairfield (for example) would be very useful.. and so you go to college there, make friends there, get your poli sci degree, probably find a girlfriend / future wife there.. etc., and you graduate, and are excited to have landed a (very good) $70K first year job.. so what are you to do.. uproot the life you've known for 20+ years to move to the middle of nowhere? That's not a feasible or realistic idea for many

I'm happy Tim gets it.. I wish more people did!!

price of school has gone up (disproportionally to value IMO)
Yup.. if you look at how the cost of tuition has increased vs the value you get from it.. at least as measured from graduating salary or libor.. then I agree, many college programs are simply "not worth it"

The son an engineering degree and the daughter an accounting/finance degree so very hirable
..these are excellent degrees, and people are coming around to this as well now, luckily. In the late 90's / early 2000's there was this nonsense kumbaya notion that you should major in whatever you want.. so people graduated with trash degrees in "Chinese Art History"

Should I ever have children they're studying engineering / finance.. none of this "Mongolian Pottery" garbage.

.. so what are you to do.. uproot the life you've known for 20+ years to move to the middle of nowhere? That's not a feasible or realistic idea for many

Exactly what I did, I've worked and lived in six states. I'm settled now, but early in my career, I followed the leads and moved to get good jobs and opportunities.

Oh, and for a while I dated a girl who graduated in religious studies from a good school. Smart girl, and I'm sure the major was interesting to study, but she was all butthurt that as an engineer I was paid 2x what she was being paid in her entry level job. Her contention was that she had a 4 year college degree and should be making the same as me with a 4 year degree. Disillusioned.

People need to think when they go to college, is what I'm learning something that will earn good money?

Yes! Thank you!

..and I think what most people see as "laziness" in millennials is just abject apathy.. as a millennial you'll graduate with a meaningless college diploma and $160K in debt.. just to get a $50K/yr job and struggle to pay rent and buy food each month while your parents pay for your phone bill and you spiral into a depression because you follow celebrities on Instagram who appear to have perfect lives. Sure, you can push yourself a bit harder, try to save a little more.. but guess what, that extra $75/month you'll save, or the extra $5K/yr you'll make really won't make a meaningful dent.. so why bother? It's like trying to save the Titanic by bailing it out with a teaspoon.. I'd give up too

..and if you call any of this to light you'll have wealthy 50+ year old people tell you you're lazy and to just pull yourself up by the bootstraps. There is very little bootstrap pulling someone can do if they bring home $2K per month after taxes..

+2,000 after tax income per month
-700 student loan payment
-1,000 rent (this is a joke, you either live somewhere miserable or you have roommates splitting a 3K rent)
=$300 for food/entertainment/savings/everything else.. that's like $10/day.. so instead you defer your student loan payments while the interest grows and you slowly dig yourself into a credit card debt hole.. you keep telling yourself it's okay and that someday you'll earn more and pay it all off.. but eventually you're 37 and still in a hole

Life honestly SUCKS for many millennials

**sure, many get lucky.. but the scenario above is the reality for a *lot* of people. This is also why most politicians, and religions, don't connect with these people

Also, the "why do you have to live somewhere expensive, why don't you go to a state school in Nebraska and live there.. it's cheaper!"
..because you were born in, raised, and grew up in, say, Connecticut.. you were told that a college degree from Fairfield (for example) would be very useful.. and so you go to college there, make friends there, get your poli sci degree, probably find a girlfriend / future wife there.. etc., and you graduate, and are excited to have landed a (very good) $70K first year job.. so what are you to do.. uproot the life you've known for 20+ years to move to the middle of nowhere? That's not a feasible or realistic idea for many

I'm happy Tim gets it.. I wish more people did!!

Therein lies PART of the problem though. If you won't move to where you (and your skillset/degree) are employable, you must live with your circumstance. It is not on society to make sure that you can live where you're comfortable in order to use the skills you decided were marketable. Also, $160K in debt for a "meaningless degree" is another big part of the problem. Getting a degree in something that doesn't generally result in high success rate of landing gainful employment, or acceptable wages, is an err on the individual (not society's problem). While I do think some education and emphasis should be done by society to high school seniors to ensure they have fully-vetted their intended career path from a job market and income-based standpoint, ultimately the decision to major in underwater basket-weaving is their own along with the consequences.

People need to think when they go to college, is what I'm learning something that will earn good money?
And the reality of this is finally evident to most people.. my nephews and nieces are in the phase now where they're applying to college, and I appreciate the rigor with which they're looking at majors, schools, career opportunities, etc.

But there was a group (my group largely) that were raised by prosperous parents who had a notion that ANY college degree was valuable, and that eventually you'd get "rich" almost by fiat just because you had a degree. Luckily that notion is getting dispelled.. as a new reality set in

People learn and adapt, but it tends to take a generation or two

Therein lies PART of the problem though. If you won't move to where you (and your skillset/degree) are employable, you must live with your circumstance. It is not on society to make sure that you can live where you're comfortable in order to use the skills you decided were marketable. Also, $160K in debt for a "meaningless degree" is another big part of the problem. Getting a degree in something that doesn't generally result in high success rate of landing gainful employment, or acceptable wages, is an err on the individual (not society's problem). While I do think some education and emphasis should be done by society to high school seniors to ensure they have fully-vetted their intended career path from a job market and income-based standpoint, ultimately the decision to major in underwater basket-weaving is their own along with the consequences.
I totally agree, but hindsight is 20/20.. however at least me (and several of my friends, and I suspect many millennials) really weren't aware of this at the time.. we were told by guidance counselors, parents, etc., that we're all winners and that any college degree was valuable, and to major in what you wanted.. that "do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life"; so people end up with "underwater basket weaving" as degrees.. and honestly, they knew no better either, having a college education in the 1960s was probably more valuable then it is now.. and if you worked at "ABC Adhesives" for 30 years you'd get a good pension, well matched 401K, etc., and could raise a family of four on one income. The reality is that opportunities like that are gone, and we have to adapt

I went for my physical exam and as it progressed I asked the doctor “How am I doing?”

He answered “Mercury is in Uranus.”

I told him I wasn’t in to astrology.

He said “Neither am I. I was taking your temperature and my thermometer broke.”

I totally agree, but hindsight is 20/20.. however at least me (and several of my friends, and I suspect many millennials) really weren't aware of this at the time.. we were told by guidance counselors, parents, etc., that we're all winners and that any college degree was valuable, and to major in what you wanted.. that "do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life"; so people end up with "underwater basket weaving" as degrees.. and honestly, they knew no better either, having a college education in the 1960s was probably more valuable then it is now.. and if you worked at "ABC Adhesives" for 30 years you'd get a good pension, well matched 401K, etc., and could raise a family of four on one income. The reality is that opportunities like that are gone, and we have to adapt

I can understand some of it, but it certainly wasn't what I was taught. I am a Zennial/Millenial depending on which term you want to ascribe to (born 1983). I always looked at being a professional pilot until my senior year of high school, simply due to the difficult schedule most work and constant uprooting of my (future) family. I decided I would rather choose a profession that was typically in abundant need in the marketplace and had no foreseeable end in need. Finance/Accounting was were I settled, but mechanical engineering was a close second. My parents covered my rent/utilities in college (roughly $500/mo), so I was by no means self-sufficient. I graduated with about $10K in debt because I stayed in-state and paid what I could out of pocket from my college jobs (landscaping, bank teller, insurance claims adjuster). Now, college tuition hadn't gone completely insane at that point, but it was still $4-5K per year plus books and other fees. At some point, personal responsibility has to take precedent. If I had graduated, and my degree was unemployable in my home state, you best believe I'd move to where it was, or find a new skill set quickly.

I assume some boomers will be along shortly to discard your tale of woe and remind you that they walked to school uphill both ways in the snow with no shoes, and they liked it.
Last time I tried that line I was reminded that Florida has neither hills or snow. But they did believe the part about no shoes, mostly because I still choose not to wear shoes whenever possible.

Back