Does the DC SFRA actually protect?

Okay, some not entirely correct information is being shared in this thread. Perhaps I can help explain.
You'll never be squawking 1200 inside the SFRA (or FRZ). Squawking 1200 on the ground should be a non-issue since when you arrived into the SFRA you were on an assigned code, and you keep that code until you get on the ground. Unless you intentionally dial up 1200, it's. It an issue.

Speaking of 1200 on the ground...it's not a violation to squawk 1200 on the ground as you're not operating in the SFRA, since you're not in the airspace. Otherwise we'd be violated for taxing to the fuel pumps. Nevertheless, it should be a moot point since there's no reason to turn your transponder to 1200 while on the ground in the SFRA.

Squawking 1200 is not the issue; not squawking a unique code is the issue, and why people get in trouble for squawking 1200 inside the SFRA.

As far as getting your code, you must file a flight plan prior to arriving or taking off in the SFRA. You call ATC by phone before departing; you call them in the air (obviously) before arriving. You must have a unique code and radio contact with ATC before entering the airspace. You maintain radio contact until you are released to CTAF. On departure, you won't contact ATC until you depart the pattern.
While there are exceptions to radio contact (when on CTAF), you must always squawk that assigned unique squawk code inside the SFRA.

Lastly, IFR. Some folks go IFR because it sounds easier. That's cool, but you can also use that IFR flight plan if you decide to depart VFR, or if you plan to arrive IFR but decide to cancel IFR in the air early and continue VFR. If you do decide to cancel IFR early and continue VFR, make sure you're talking to Potomac Approach. If you do it with another ATC facility, you risk loosing the flight plan entirely if a controller downstream doesn't accept the handoff.

And ZERO were terrorists. Self-licking ice cream cone example number 1.

Be sure that you remain on Flight Following ALL the way to the airport approach. If you enter the ADIZ without being in radio contact and talking to ATC before entering, you are illegal, and will be intercepted/violated.

There have been over 1,000 interceptions/violations since 9/11. Proper communications is essential, and squawking 1200 is forbidden, period. Don't even squaw 1200 within miles of the airspace, the line on the military radar is not accurate, and they err on the long side.

Welcome to Washington, DC, most of us here are friendly!

Wow, I can have some fun with a drone and a cheap transponder. ;-)

Here's what I do when flying VFR out of W29 (Bay Bridge) just outside the SFRA.

1. I file an SFRA flight plan giving all the required information as per the SFRA course and the form. Easy to do with Foreflight.
2. I set transponder to 1200 on the ground.
3. I take off and stay out of the SFRA. (Usually I fly south down the island).
4. Once out of the pattern and away from the airport, I call Potomac on the appropriate SFRA frequency. Sometimes it takes them a while to answer if the controller's working other radios. I do a racetrack over Kent Island while I wait.
5. When they answer, I tell them who I am, where I am and that I want to enter the SFRA. They tell me to wait, look up my flight plan, then give me a squawk code, which I acknowledge and enter into the transponder.
6. Once they observe my transponder, they tell me to proceed on course and stay out of the class Bravo.
7. I head on my merry way, switching frequencies as directed.

Be sure to never squawk 1200 inside the SFRA, even if you're on the ground. Even if you've been switched over to the CTAF. Never.

Not the F 16 you have to worry about, it’s the missile launcher you have to worry about.

What is unclear about "You must always be on a discrete code before operating in this airspace?

Well, thank you for sharing your logic, based on the novel proposition that "ground" is part of "airspace."

Simply dialing through 1200 from one assigned code to another is a violation. The illegal transmission while on the ground is detected by airborne surveillance, so can be a violation with out the transponder being swept by radar.... they simply take your privilege to fly for however long they think will make you think more clearly next time.

And do you extend your advice also to mechanics?

You know, mechanics do turn on electrical systems. And they taxi planes. It's their job. They do it quite often. Many of them don't know how to operate every model of transponder, nor should they. They might turn on an electrical system and have the misfortune of it emitting 1200, without any knowledge that it's happening, nor the ability to stop it, and they might even make the plane move while that's happening.

So, then, do you advise mechanics to tremble, because airborne surveillance is circling the sky, waiting to summon hordes of FAA investigators who will descend upon them, strip their certificate, and starve their children until they "think more clearly next time"?

You know, mechanics do turn on electrical systems. And they taxi planes. It's their job. They do it quite often. Many of them don't know how to operate every model of transponder, nor should they. They might turn on an electrical system and have the misfortune of it emitting 1200, without any knowledge that it's happening, nor the ability to stop it, and they might even make the plane move while that's happening.

So, then, do you advise mechanics to tremble, because airborne surveillance is circling the sky, waiting to summon hordes of FAA investigators who will descend upon them, strip their certificate, and starve their children until they "think more clearly next time"?

My experience with the A&Ps that operate shops at airports inside the SFRA is they are trained and aware of the regs. For those of us based at these airports and routinely flying in and out, I usually leave the transponder on whatever the last code was (since it won't be 1200) until Potomac gives me my new squawk.

Even with a missile launcher, the reaction time is measured in seconds. A 777 at approach speed is about 35 seconds from the White House on the Potomac approach into Reagan and less if they accelerate. If you don’t stop it in 20 seconds, you might destroy the plane but inertia will do the rest.

add in confusion if they declare a go around or emergency and it’s unlikely reaction time will be quick enough for a meaningful reaction.

In retrospect, I wonder if I tripped any alarms by measuring the distance and then looking up the approach speed and using Google to calculate time and distance.

Just a second, someone is at the door.

I can't throw a stone 500 feet.
Can you throw a stone "less than 500 feet"?

Doing the math, airliners cross the Pentagon at 278 feet. And it's more of a drop than a throw.

Last edited:

Nah, there’s a special code for mechanics to test transponders within the SFRA. They’ve reserved 7500 for this purpose. ;)

A couple things: at one time during the zero tolerance days of the early ADIZ/SFRA, squawking 1200 for a single radar sweep was enough to generate a violation. Since then, the FAA has pushed back on USSS and TSA and used the compliance program as a basis for someone who is otherwise following the rules but, say, unintentionally pushes the VFR button on their transponder, causing them to squawk 1200 briefly. No one has ever been issued a violation for squawking 1200 from an aircraft on the ground.

One thing I've done, being based inside the FRZ, is disable the VFR button on my Garmin GTX 330 transponder. No worries about accidentally squawking VFR if I'm trying to hit the IDENT button in turbulence.

we would like you to try and press that button while on the ground.....just for a test....and let us know how that works out for ya. ;)

I bet Mr. Domingo gets involved to clear that up....and a compliant attitude does go a long way. lol. :D

Although technically, squawking 1200 on the ground is not operating in the DC SFRA, according to Potomac Approach, ATC radar will occasionally pickup a ground target and cause issues. So it might get explained away, but even if it does not get picked up by ATC, a single lapse of attention can cause you to be in a world of hurt. So even on the ground, it is not a good idea to squawk 1200.

Well, thank you for sharing your logic, based on the novel proposition that "ground" is part of "airspace."
Since some airspace originates at ground level, and every intact airplane generally operates above ground level, I may draw a different conclusion.

Other than 'because it's the rule,' is there a reason why 1200 is so verboten in the DC SFRA? (I live/fly far from there and am unfamiliar with the situation. We just have unexplained hordes of drones where I am.)

Because to operate inside the SFRA, you must be on an assigned transponder code.

Since 1200 is not a valid code inside the SFRA, it's prohibited.

Because to operate inside the SFRA, you must be on an assigned transponder code.
Since 1200 is not a valid code inside the SFRA, it's prohibited.
Succinct, helpful, informative. Thanks!

Back