GTN-750 v I-device (connection)

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
What is the correct or best way to get the ipad or iphone to use the GTN-750 weather/gps data via bt?
Mine never connect, the way I do it.

Last edited:
You have weather (and traffic?) on the GTN already?

I believe there are only two devices currently that will show traffic on the GTN: the GDL88 or the GTX345 (or if exp aircraft then also the GTX45R).

If it is a GTX345, it should work out of the box. You’d need to connect to if over BT using CONNEXT to your iPad.

If it is a GDL88, you’d need to add a Flightstream 110/210/510.

hm I'm pr tty sure it says Flightstream in one of the menus.
I don't wrench on it, I didn't order or install it, I just fly it.
And I am pretty far behind the curve on avionics period.
But I would like it to reliably connect to the ipad.
Right now it is 1 in 5 flights.
On the ipad/iphone, I have cycled the BT switch, and I do know some things won't connect til I make it 'forget' all other BT devices and get them off the list.
Is it supposed to connect automatically?
I did see the pairing or connection page on the 750, but there is no option to actively connect to the ipad.
Also, how many devices should the 750 engage at once?
This airplane actually has two 750s if that changes anything.
You asked about a GTX-345. This has the transponder as part of the display.

if you’re able to connect sometimes, what does the iPad list as the connection in the Bluetooth menu? Flitestream might be one if you have a 210, not sure if it’s with a transponder

There’s a Bluetooth menu in the GTN where you can remove all the connection history. It’s in the utilities or settings submenu on the main page. Delete every device from the GTN and delete the connection from every idevice. Redo the connection and it should work automatically

You have weather (and traffic?) on the GTN already?

I believe there are only two devices currently that will show traffic on the GTN: the GDL88 or the GTX345 (or if exp aircraft then also the GTX45R).

If it is a GTX345, it should work out of the box. You’d need to connect to if over BT using CONNEXT to your iPad.

If it is a GDL88, you’d need to add a Flightstream 110/210/510.

With a 345 hooked to a 650 or 750 a Flightstream works in that config also. Instead of connecting to the 345 it’s BT is disabled and you connect to the FS via the GTN instead.

I believe it differs a bit but same menu on the GTN between FS210 and FS510. Ours is a 510 and WiFi is used for database updates via Garmin Pilot and Concierge and BT is used for in flight data between tablet and GTN for flight plans/routes and such. The ADS-B IN and traffic is sent up the serial bus from the 345 to the GTN and flows across the same BT connection. Accelerometer data from the 345 is also passed through the GTN for backup attitude display by FF or GP.

Short version: Bluetooth pair the mobile device to the GTN. It’s probably handling it all.

Got it. It must be a BT issue if you have had this working before. Are both 750s showing traffic? Or just one? When you connect your BT now, what is the name of the device you are connecting to in BT settings — is is GTX345jdnmk-838, or Flightstream blah,blah?

hm I'm pr tty sure it says Flightstream in one of the menus.
I don't wrench on it, I didn't order or install it, I just fly it.
And I am pretty far behind the curve on avionics period.
But I would like it to reliably connect to the ipad.
Right now it is 1 in 5 flights.
On the ipad/iphone, I have cycled the BT switch, and I do know some things won't connect til I make it 'forget' all other BT devices and get them off the list.
Is it supposed to connect automatically?
I did see the pairing or connection page on the 750, but there is no option to actively connect to the ipad.
Also, how many devices should the 750 engage at once?
This airplane actually has two 750s if that changes anything.
You asked about a GTX-345. This has the transponder as part of the display.

Go to settings on the iPad and with the panel powered up flightstream should show up as a Bluetooth source.

Go to settings on the iPad and with the panel powered up flightstream should show up as a Bluetooth source.

If it does not, as in my case, what would be the next step?
(I have tried powering down the ipad and restarting it. And deleting all other BT devices from the list. And cycling the BT switch on the ipad)

It should show up as source you can connect to in the plane with avionics powered up. In your GTN go to the systems menu > connext setup. That will show all the devices that are in the GTN bluetooth history. I'd suggest deleting all of them. Then pair your device to the GTN. I had a similar issue, and that cleared it up. Might be an issue if a lot of different people use the plane. Max number of active connections is 2. You can have more in the GTN, but you have to be careful to not have more than 2 turned on when you are using it as it makes arbitrary choices about which one gets priority.

will try it tomorrow afternoon. Pretty sure the page showing connected devices was blank. Planning some tests.

The card in the 750 is having some problems. We are told not to expect the 750 to allow connections until that is remedied.
The suggestion was made that the card a transmitter, but I find that hard to believe.

The card in the 750 is having some problems. We are told not to expect the 750 to allow connections until that is remedied.
The suggestion was made that the card a transmitter, but I find that hard to believe.

If it’s a Flightstream 510 it is. Bluetooth, WiFi, and storage all on that little SD card. Neat.

If it is a Flightstream, just pull it out. You don’t need it if you have a GDL88 or the GTX345.

With a 345 hooked to a 650 or 750 a Flightstream works in that config also. Instead of connecting to the 345 it’s BT is disabled and you connect to the FS via the GTN instead.

Short version: Bluetooth pair the mobile device to the GTN. It’s probably handling it all.

Yes what he said. Don't try to connect BT to 345 instead to GTN via FlightStream. fixed it for me.

If you have a Flight Stream 510, the SD card will be labeled as such and it is a "transmitter". Easy enough to pull it and make sure. The 510 connects via wifi and bluetooth. Assuming you have one, have you tried connecting via wifi?

If it is a Flightstream, just pull it out. You don’t need it if you have a GDL88 or the GTX345.

Not really true. Depending on installation config when an FS510 is installed, Bluetooth on a 345 is disabled and the data is sent to the 650/750 which handles transmitting it to tablets then. (And also allows the tablet to receive and send flight plan data from/to the GPS.)

Without the card installed the 650/750 doesn’t have any storage and that will break that unit also.

Basically the correct answer is to get the flight manual supplement for the aircraft out and use the installation exactly as it was intended at install and config by the avionics shop... that’s supposed to be in the aircraft. Additional information should be in a larger book in the aircraft maintenance records.

It can be configured multiple ways at installation.

BTW, if it is a 510, you want that for database updates. Much easier. It’s also a $1,500 add on, so important to know for sure. Don’t want to lose that SD card.

Back