Does FF support missed approaches?

nj-pilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
josh_me
Hello

I love using FF's geo-referencing and enjoy using it for situational awareness.
In situations when I go missed, however, I don't see any way for FF to track the miss, guide me to the hold, etc..

Does anyone know if FF supports missed approaches?

Thank you

Hello

In situations when I go missed, however, I don't see any way for FF to track the miss, guide me to the hold, etc..

Thank you
Just what you see on the chart overlay. It's really not practical to depict the MAP as a route since many include turns to headings and restrictions based on altitude.

I think I've had custom missed-approach instructions from ATC almost every time I've done an approach to a big airport, when the weather was low-enough that I might have needed to actually go missed. They don't want a slow Cherokee blocking up the published missed approach with jetliners and turboprops coming down the pipe behind it.

My GTN on the panel automatically feeds the updated route to my foreflight with the flightstream 510 so that may be an option

I place the missed approach fix manually in FF at the end of the route.
To give me some idea where I should end up

And of course brief the missed approach procedure in regards to headings and altitude

The most important things in a real missed approach are to add power, clean up the plane, and confirm you're stabilised in a positive climb rate for a couple of hundred feet. At that point, you've done 95% of the work involved in not dying.

Next, if you have an autopilot, put it in wing-level mode (or heading mode, if you've already spun the bug to your current heading). If it's a two-axis autopilot, maybe set a reasonable climb rate as well.

Don't even think about doing anything else, including touching or looking at your GPS or tablet, until after that (ideally, not until 1,000 ft AGL, unless the missed-approach instructions require an immediate low-altitude turn).

Yeah, .....no! Its not gonna tell you you missed. Its just a chart.

People really want foreflight to be the be all and all.

People really want foreflight to be the be all and all.
It’s arrogant replies like these that keep folks from asking perfectly legitimate questions. After all, Garmin offers MA guidance in both their FAA-approved avionics and in their Pilot app.
When you’re on an actual missed you’re stressed because now ATC wants to know your plan where you go next, and it better make sense. Anything that helps alleviate that stress, such as a simple guidance to the MAP is much appreciated.

Maybe FF will release something like that in a future release like the useful clouds/icing representation in profile view. Of course it will be in Performance Plus. Which I don't have. :rofl:

Simple solution...when you go missed, touch your screen to the fix used for the missed approach and select direct.

All joking aside, what I was taught and do is - when you brief the approach, memorize at least the initial climb and turn instructions for the missed. better yet, memorize the whole thing. Usually only three steps involved.

Fly the approach. If going missed, power up, pitch up clean up. Start flying the initial climb/turn that you memorized while briefing the plate. Hit Susp on the GPS. that will sequence you to the missed waypoint. Even my lowly 430w will do this. Call ATC if at an untowered field. Fly the rest of the missed. I don't look at FF at all on the missed.

The answer to all things FF is FlightStream. I'll bet when you go missed if you SUSP the GPS and then press ((+)) and select Load from Panel you'll get the MA. Going to try that tomorrow.

I think I've had custom missed-approach instructions from ATC almost every time I've done an approach to a big airport, when the weather was low-enough that I might have needed to actually go missed. They don't want a slow Cherokee blocking up the published missed approach with jetliners and turboprops coming down the pipe behind it.
At major airports, such as LAX, no one that misses flies the charted missed approach.

Simple solution...when you go missed, touch your screen to the fix used for the missed approach and select direct.
From your 218° FAC, "Climb to 900, then climbing left turn to 3000 on heading 100 and [NAVAID] R-131 to [holding fix]"

:biggrin:

All joking aside, what I was taught and do is - when you brief the approach, memorize at least the initial climb and turn instructions for the missed. better yet, memorize the whole thing. Usually only three steps involved.

Fly the approach. If going missed, power up, pitch up clean up. Start flying the initial climb/turn that you memorized while briefing the plate. Hit Susp on the GPS. that will sequence you to the missed waypoint. Even my lowly 430w will do this. Call ATC if at an untowered field. Fly the rest of the missed. I don't look at FF at all on the missed.
One thing I've noticed about ILS approaches (and I assume LPV approaches) is that it's necessary to wait until reaching the MAP before hitting susp.

Just push the go-around button, firewall the throttle, pull out the flaps, make the call. Watch the airplane fly it.

Hello

Thank you

The MAP is on the approach plate. You cannot use FF to guide you to anything, aside from referencing the plate that may be displayed on it.

It’s arrogant replies like these that keep folks from asking perfectly legitimate questions. After all, Garmin offers MA guidance in both their FAA-approved avionics and in their Pilot app.
When you’re on an actual missed you’re stressed because now ATC wants to know your plan where you go next, and it better make sense. Anything that helps alleviate that stress, such as a simple guidance to the MAP is much appreciated.

ATC will already know where you are going, either the published missed, or instructions they have given you. If they are asking you about diverting, if you want another approach, etc, and you are too busy to answer them, tell them to standby. Once you have things under control, then you can answer them.

Back