Garmin 430 data card inverted and jammed

Flyingfanatic

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Flying Fanatic
Anyone know how to remove a data card that was inserted in a hurry, upside down?

it’s not in all the way, but it is jammed and won’t come out despite some decent pulling on the card.

Asking for a friend, of course.

I'd call 911-GARMIN. I'll bet this wouldn't be the first time someone did that. ;)

As the old saying goes: "If it jams, force it; if it breaks, it needed replacing anyway."

Try rocking it up and down (not side-to-side). It may take a bit of patience and determination. My guess is the box will survive, the card not so much. Maybe you shouldn't power it up with the card jammed in it though.

Don't pull too hard on the hinged lever, it will just break off. Wrap duct tape around the jaws of your largest channel locks as padding, grasp whatever body of the card is showing and pull it out using force.

I'd spray half a can of WD-40 around the card to loosen it up.

How much is sticking out?

More importantly, how hard did you jam it in? Worst case scenario is you bent the pins in the receptacle. That will be a fixed cost repair by Garmin to correct.

I haven't tried this myself (and won't) but the card body is likely to fit in the slot either way. However, if inserted upside down the pins will definitely not mesh, and if the card is forced in the pins will likely bend and deform.

Actually, I just pulled my spare card out of the flight bag, and the corners are slightly chamfered on one side, which may discourage incorrect insertion if the socket was appropriately designed. If this is the case, and the card isn't fully inserted, grasping it with rubber pliers should get it out, likely with no significant damage to either the unit or the card.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

Don't pull too hard on the hinged lever, it will just break off. Wrap duct tape around the jaws of your largest channel locks as padding, grasp whatever body of the card is showing and pull it out using force.

This worked perfectly. My friend just couldn’t grip it.

Back