Feedback on KHUT Hutchison, KS

jonvcaples

Pre-takeoff checklist
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Sasquatch
Anyone stopped at KHUT and willingly to share experience? Wife and I are thinking about tyrip there from KAPA to visit the air and space museum.

Thanks,

Jon

Great little airport, nice steakhouse on site as well. Watch out for the very, very tall towers east of town. Uber is usually available, but there aren't a lot of drivers.

The museum is outstanding.

I've been in and out of HUT a few times: Those times it seemed like a quiet class D. There was one time a group of us from the KC area worked out a fly-in to visit the museum. There were about 10-12 airplanes, maybe more. We staggered takeoffs and routes intending to arrive at different times so we wouldn't overwhelm the tower when we got there. We we didn't know was a separate group from Oklahoma did the same thing. And our arrivals ended up all happening at the same time. In addition to our dozen or so airplanes, another 5 or 6 came in from the south. Tower was working with one airplane in the pattern doing instrument approaches. When we all called in at the same time, it sounded like he dropped his coffee and Egg McMuffin in his lap. He started calling traffic like the controllers do at Fisk, but not as well. No problem, we all knew what was going on and worked everything out in the approach corridors we sort of set up. It all worked out.

Good times.

Recommendation as to FBO or hotel? We will probably fly over, spend the night, then back home. How was the museum? Lots of good comments on it from several travel magazines.

The museum is fantastic. Plan about 4 hrs. They have the most Soviet artifacts outside Russia. Look for the Liberty Bell 7. The V1 and V2 displays are very good. And an SR71 hangs in the lobby.

I always assumed chemo was grounding -- glad you're still able to fly!

I've never been to the museum, so no help there -- but I've bopped through HUT once or twice. I recall there only being a single FBO. My info is a few years out of date, though, so maybe someone has better info than I do.

I just did a similar trip maybe 2 months ago; one FBO on the field, Wells Aircraft on the southwest corner. Friendly people, great service and a courtesy car with a 2 hour limit. I think they have a couple of rental cars as well. I was in a hurry passing through so my museum visit was sort of a hit n run, but some really cool stuff to see there. No Liberty Bell 7, it appears to be out on loan. A cool stop, glad I got to check it off my bucket list.

The movie "Apollo 13" had sets built with surplus NASA panels and other equipment. The museum built it all - the scenes inside the LM and CM were filmed inside mockups built at the museum.

I haven't been to the salt mine museum, that's another Hutchinson attraction:

https://www.underkansas.org

Thanks everyone! My care physician is willing to sign off on Basic Med once two more chemo sessions are complete and oncologist and heart doc give thumbs up. I'm excited and looking forward to getting back to flying. Several friends who are CFIs have made themselves available to fly with me and sign the time off as dual if I can't qualify for Basic Med so things are looking good.

Best to all!

Recommendation as to FBO or hotel? We will probably fly over, spend the night, then back home. How was the museum? Lots of good comments on it from several travel magazines.
Only one full service FBO on the field, Wells Aviation. Very nice, great services. Been to HUT many times to visit both the Air and Space Museum, the Airport Steak Restaurant, and the Salt Mine Museum. Cars are available at the FBO to get you to places, never done an overnight trip so can't say anything about keeping the car. Besides the air and space museum, also recommend the salt mine museum, just done the road from the FBO.

Jon, On your way to/from KHUT you could also stop in to Liberal, Kansas (KLBL) to see the Mid-America Air Museum. Chocked full of aircraft of all sorts...including Max Conrad's Comanche that he used to set the world's record in for round-the world about 58 years ago. Also some static display military stuff outside. Short walk from the FBO.

Jon, On your way to/from KHUT you could also stop in to Liberal, Kansas (KLBL) to see the Mid-America Air Museum. Chocked full of aircraft of all sorts...including Max Conrad's Comanche that he used to set the world's record in for round-the world about 58 years ago. Also some static display military stuff outside. Short walk from the FBO.
I second this stop, may be in the middle of nowhere, but it's a nice surprise. The museum is housed in a huge a used to be a Piper factory of all things. It's full of airplanes of all kinds. Went there last year with my daughter, we both had a great time. It's a bit of a walk from the FBO, can always get the FBO to drive you there or see if there is a car available. E730AAF9-FCFD-4CAA-AA2B-44B7DF83A544.jpeg

Let us know what you find! I might make the trip down there again over spring break.

Depending on how into space and/or museums you are, you could spend almost an entire day in the museum. This is a world-class museum with a collection that will astound (or possibly overwhelm) you.

I visited a couple of years ago at the invitation of a friend, over the Christmas holidays. Wells was very nice; I was slightly delayed on arrival and got there just before closing, but they knew I was coming and stuck around to get me in my rental car. Only problem I had was getting the plane started on a bitterly cold morning for departure--I had previously asked if they had space in the hangar and they told me no, but after witnessing my troubles that day they were able to pull me inside and plug in my Tanis for a couple of hours. Had an early lunch at the on-field restaurant (nice buffet) while I waited.

Just got home from Hutchinson.... Didnt fly in or out had to drive this year. Snooped around at Wells seemed like good guys. I know there is an enterprise car rental in town that will deliver cars to the airport. Airport steakhouse very good lunch or dinner as well as Texas T bones on 11th. Also good mexican and bbq around town if thats more your style. We always stay at the Marriott on Lorraine good staff always clean.

Something of a space nerd here. Sounds like museum at KHUT will take a full day. Sounds like KLBL is at least a half day or a separate trip.

Everyone thanks for the info! I'll post plans as they unfold, anyone interested in sharing a ride from KAPA or meeting at either location? Probably will go in March or later.

I might be down that way in March...maybe. Our daughter gets a break from work during spring break time (she's a teacher) and Hutch is the midway point, we might meet there for a couple days.

Back