Logging ground training

Tokirbymd

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tokirbymd
I used the Sportys course to study for my IFR written as well as some other books but never took the Sportys tests to "certify" me prior to taking the written. My CFII signed off in my logbook that I had received the training and was able to take the written. Now getting ready for my checkride and note that FARS require that applicants "receive and log ground training from an authorized instructor OR accomplish a home-study course..." Does my CFII's sign-off for the written count as "logging" ground training or does there need to be a separate log somewhere?

I used a Piper course book, test book, syllabus, and related materiel, Commercial and Instrument, for self study. I was flying Piper Archer and Arrow aircraft for the training. When something puzzled me, I would ask my CFI, on compensated time, and he would explain what the FAA meant by the rule or procedure. I paid for only a few hours with him.

When I finished, my CFI reviewed all the tests, picked his choice of questions and quizzed me on random parts of the material.

He then signed the forms included with the training material, and put an entry in my log book certifying that I was trained and ready for the both of written exams.

The FAA test center accepted that, and I took both of the writtens, Commercial, and Instrument, and passed both.

I did not log the hours spent studying, but the tests and notes, plus calculation sheets were clear proof of extended time pounding the books.

I used the Sportys course to study for my IFR written as well as some other books but never took the Sportys tests to "certify" me prior to taking the written. My CFII signed off in my logbook that I had received the training and was able to take the written. Now getting ready for my checkride and note that FARS require that applicants "receive and log ground training from an authorized instructor OR accomplish a home-study course..." Does my CFII's sign-off for the written count as "logging" ground training or does there need to be a separate log somewhere?

Most of the online and video courses have CFIs available who’ll sign a certificate and email it after you take their final test. Ask Sporty’s.

In the back of your logbook should be a few pages specifically designated for logging ground training.

It’s really not that big of a deal. The written test is proof alone that you’ve received ground training.

I'm a little confused. The sign off by Sporty's is to take the test.

I assume you passed the written and have that piece of paper from the test center that shows your score and what you missed?

The instructor signs off that he has reviewed the questions you missed (well, the areas anyway) and you have received sufficient training to go on to the practical.

The Knowledge Test Endorsement is different than the Practical Test requirement/endorsement for ground study (§61.103).

b) Aeronautical knowledge. A person who applies for an instrument rating must have received and logged ground training from an authorized instructor or accomplished a home-study course on the following aeronautical knowledge areas that apply to the instrument rating sought:

AC 61-65G

COMPLETION OF GROUND TRAINING OR A HOME STUDY CURRICULUM.
Students may obtain ground training for the aeronautical knowledge test from pilot schools, colleges, aviation organizations, and individual flight or ground instructors. Home study curricula are available from representatives of the aviation industry. Students may develop an individual home study curriculum compiled from material described in the applicable FAA airman knowledge test guide. The student, to show evidence of a ground school or home study curriculum completion, may use any one of the following methods:
1. A certificate of graduation from a pilot training course conducted by an FAA-certificated pilot school, appropriate to the certificate or rating sought, or a statement of accomplishment from the school certifying satisfactory completion of the ground school portion of the course.
2. An endorsement from an authorized instructor who has certified that the applicant has satisfactorily completed the ground training required for the certificate or rating sought and is prepared for the test.
3. A certificate of graduation or statement of accomplishment from a ground school course, appropriate to the certificate and rating sought, that was conducted by an agency such as a high school, college, adult education program, the Civil Air Patrol (CAP), or a Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) flight training program.
4. A certificate of graduation from an industry-provided aviation home study course. The aeronautical enterprise providing the study material must develop the certificate. The certificate of graduation must correspond to the FAA knowledge test for the certificate or rating sought. The aeronautical enterprise providing the course of study must also supply a comprehensive knowledge test, which the course provider can score as evidence that the student has completed the course of study. The knowledge test must be sent to the course provider for scoring. Upon satisfactory completion of the examination,
a graduation certificate signed by an authorized CFI of the course provider will be provided to the student.
5. Applicants are encouraged to obtain ground training using one of the methods described in items 1 through 4 above. An applicant who is unable to provide any of the above documents may present an individually developed home study course to an appropriately rated flight or ground instructor. The instructor will review the course materials and question the applicant to determine that the course was completed and that the applicant does possess the knowledge required for the certificate or rating sought. The instructor will then complete an endorsement certifying that the applicant is prepared for the knowledge test.

Clip 4 has the rules, and I was signed of by method 5.

You have the endorsement, that’s all that matters. Doesn’t really matter to the extent you had your ground training.

So if I did the sportys course but never took their test to get their certificate (did it on multiple devices so the program had a hard time tracking which videos and quizzes i had taken) but my instructor signed an endorsement that I had “satisfactorily completed the ground training required for the certificate or rating sought and is prepared for the test” then that should satisfy criteria #2 above correct? The reason I ask is that Jason Blair published an article on having to deny applicants for their check ride because the ground portion hadn’t been logged and apparently that is a new point of emphasis for the FAA based on a recent interpretation. I scored 96% on the written so I feel like I have done enough ground school and really don’t want to have to retake the sportys course again to get the actual certificate if I don’t have to.

The reason I ask is that Jason Blair published an article on having to deny applicants for their check ride because the ground portion hadn’t been logged and apparently that is a new point of emphasis for the FAA based on a recent interpretation.
Are you taking a checkride with Jason Blair? Your endorsement from an authorized instructor who has certified that you have satisfactorily completed the ground training required for the certificate or rating sought and is prepared for the test will suffice.

Back