Why the Foxtrot do I live here

Unless that’s AK my opinion now of most places with snow is now nooooope!

Nuke it from space. There must be a clever way of using fire to melt it all...

The solution is RETIREMENT and SNOWBIRDING.

Yeah buddy, you can say that again. 7 more years and I reach my economic lifeboat from this calvinistic effing grind, and all the a-holes within it. Snowbirding to my native home will be a central part of my physical and emotional departure from that proverbial FAF.

Your orange toy is the size of my light blue toy but you probably have an automatic and a PTO that keeps turning, whereas mine is a stick and disconnects PTO power when the clutch is in, making it a pain in the ass in deep stuff. Reverse, clog, forward, wait, reverse, clog, forward...

I need to get a modern tractor. LOL.
Actually no. I'm an old country boy, who grew up with tractors, and I actually like the manual transmission. That pic shows a HST model with a blower, but like I said, that's just a pic like mine. Same model, different options. If I had to do a lot of forward-reverse, then the HST would be better, but I'm mostly straight runs, both for snow and for mowing. Advantages of the manual transmission are more HP to the PTO, and $1000 less on the price tag. Disadvantages of the manual are the reverse-clog-forward you mention, and resale. I typically sell/buy tractors every 20 years, so I don't worry about resale.

Here's why the Foxtrot you live up in the great white North:

Snake slithers out of toilet, bites Florida man

images

this-is-whyi-live-where-the-air-hurts-my-face-27031742.png

ht_alligator_front_door_south_carolina_thg_130417_wblog.jpg

5ntfup14043y.png

i9NGnOk.jpg

This is God's country. That's why he made it cold in winter, to kill all of his mistakes on an annual basis. ;)

Now go shovel your snow and be thankful that you don't have to worry about nasty things trying to eat you.

Actually no. I'm an old country boy, who grew up with tractors, and I actually like the manual transmission. That pic shows a HST model with a blower, but like I said, that's just a pic like mine. Same model, different options. If I had to do a lot of forward-reverse, then the HST would be better, but I'm mostly straight runs, both for snow and for mowing. Advantages of the manual transmission are more HP to the PTO, and $1000 less on the price tag. Disadvantages of the manual are the reverse-clog-forward you mention, and resale. I typically sell/buy tractors every 20 years, so I don't worry about resale.

My runs are mostly straight but the stupid blower starts riding up on top of the snow and the tractor has Ag tires on the back, so they cut in... and it stops. LOL.

I’m seriously envious of the neighbor’s newer bigger Deere with a heated cab. But whew... $$$$$.

I’ve thought about weighting the blower attachment with something insanely heavy to keep it down. LOL.

No I don't, because I don't need to. A second story deck isn't in the way of me getting out the house.

But if one wants to use their deck for what it's intended for, then what? You do realize there is a world that does not revolve around you correct?

I wait for Spring. And I'm not as far north as you guys are.

Have a bunch of friends that still grill on their decks in the wintertime. Evidently they are supposed to drag snowblowers through the house or up 10 stairs to use it. Oh yeah and tear the hell out of their deck in the process if it's a 2 stage. I have to shovel mine to use the hot tub. No way am I tearing it up.

I burn next to a 40 watt light bulb, it is northern climes and high taxes for me... plus, I love the winter. Alton Bay or bust !

Have a bunch of friends that still grill on their decks in the wintertime. Evidently they are supposed to drag snowblowers through the house or up 10 stairs to use it. Oh yeah and tear the hell out of their deck in the process if it's a 2 stage. I have to shovel mine to use the hot tub. No way am I tearing it up.
I just leave it. No hot tub (because, you know, winter) and I hate standing outside in the cold to grill. I just don't like winter much at all, to be honest. So why do we live here at all? Honestly, we'd have moved to an air park in TX or AZ or somewhere by now if the kids hadn't started reproducing, but now we're probably stuck here for another 10-15 years.

I'm just glad we figured out after our last house to always make sure you have a driveway that faces south and slopes away from the house. We got an inch of show the other night -- I din't bother to shovel it at all, and today the driveway and sidewalk are clear and dry. Let the sun do the work. Last place we had came with a built-in ice rink, all winter long. Right in front of the garage.

Yeah no thanks... people like to diss California but it's 72 and sunny where I'm at right now.. if I want to see snow this is 2hr and 8min drive from my house, took this photo a few days ago:
upload_2019-12-31_16-47-43.png

It's raining here in the Pacific Northwe(s)t. Yeah, it's wet and uncomfortable, but you don't have to shovel rain! I certainly understand why some previous neighbors went to Arizona for the winters.
No shoveling rain, but dealing with endless mold and mildew is no fun either.

Snowblowers aren't the be-all solution. I had one of the biggest and most powerful walk-behind blowers available, and when a prairie blizzard hit, the drifts got to over five feet and they were of the consistency and density of styrofoam. Cold snow locks together like that when it's pushed by the wind. It's the stuff you can saw into blocks and build igloos with, then stand on the igloo and jump up and down on it. That snowblower ran into it and stopped, spinning its wheels. It can't shove the bottom edge or the sides into that hard stuff. One would need a sizeable tractor to force it in, or some sort of blower with minimal shrouding around the auger. And a really rough, mean auger.

Meh. Curl in the winter, fly in the summer...the seasons match up nice. Gotta figure out when I can do an IPC in the Lake Effect ice machine next month, though.

I only shovel a path from the house out the deck door to the grill (and then I clean off the grill); and one more path to the stairs.

I live with those paths until spring!

The day I signed for my first job in Fargo was one of those 12in blizzards. Didn't seem to excite anyone, school buses were running 20 minutes late.

The weather never bothered me. Cold+windy, hot+windy, rain+windy and so on.

Btw. a 5ft drift doesn't just appear in your driveway. If you you know its coming down, you just have to bundle up every two or three hours and clear off the bulk of the accumulation. I never encountered anything my 28in walk-behind couldn't clear.

My runs are mostly straight but the stupid blower starts riding up on top of the snow and the tractor has Ag tires on the back, so they cut in... and it stops. LOL.

I’m seriously envious of the neighbor’s newer bigger Deere with a heated cab. But whew... $$$$$.

I’ve thought about weighting the blower attachment with something insanely heavy to keep it down. LOL.
Wow, you must really get the snow there. My blower is usually overkill where I’m at: 8” is a big storm, and I often (today, for example) have to remove the blower and put the back blade on, as the blower doesn’t like our daily two-inch snows.

The Bismarck bubble saved us again. That same storm dropped a whopping 1.9 inches here :D

Wow, you must really get the snow there. My blower is usually overkill where I’m at: 8” is a big storm, and I often (today, for example) have to remove the blower and put the back blade on, as the blower doesn’t like our daily two-inch snows.

Not every year but every two or three we have a massive dump and the wind blows for a couple of days and drifts it high in places. One of those places is where wind comes around the house and deposits snow in the driveway.

Neighbor has some snow fences he puts in his front land to pile it there before it reaches his driveway. I’ve been meaning to try that.

I have never seen that much snow in my life. Most I’ve ever seen is 12” which fell one Christmas a few years ago.

Maybe that’s why I’ve been talking to the gf about going to Alaska for a few years if a promotion opportunity arises in the next year or so.

I burn next to a 40 watt light bulb, it is northern climes and high taxes for me... plus, I love the winter. Alton Bay or bust !

We can get adjoining hangars @ KLCI or want to split a Bonanza :D About 3 years until we're there permanently

I've lived as an adult in all 4 corners of the country and grew up in the middle. I'll take the snow and dark for part of the year to avoid heat and humidity of the south again.

Have always wanted to live in the "Live Free or Die" state... that is a solid plan.
PS: love the no State taxes situation up there too...

- Nobody ever.

I am skiing in Park City this week. I have encountered a number of retirees who live here year around of have a place for the winter. The fear of snow is not universal.

I have never seen that much snow in my life. Most I’ve ever seen is 12” which fell one Christmas a few years ago.

Maybe that’s why I’ve been talking to the gf about going to Alaska for a few years if a promotion opportunity arises in the next year or so.

You want to see... snow? LOL.

That wears off after you have to shovel it. :)

I am skiing in Park City this week. I have encountered a number of retirees who live here year around of have a place for the winter. The fear of snow is not universal.

I don't think anyone who owns a property in Park City actually shovels snow.

Speaking of Park City, what a great place. We'll be there in about a month. We've gone there the last 3 or 4 years.

Back