Signature Flight Support: Have you read the fine print?

I only ever allowed one FBO to tow my airplane out of my sight and I have a nice dent in the nose gear to show for it.

Leaving your parking brake on after leaving your airplane in the care of an FBI is a rookie mistake. Doesn't excuse the line guy from towing it without checking it first, though.

Its amazing how many people at Lincoln use the FBO to R&R airplanes from hangars, I almost never do.

Tying down is almost certainly a good idea in Lincoln, there is way too much jet/turbo prop traffic to risk it IMHO.

On the flip-side, my wife and I got in to El Paso a couple of nights ago, and parked with Atlantic there. We didn't sign anything. I just gave them my name, tel#, fuel order, and that was that.
When we got back to our plane, I only signed a credit card receipt, as we were out the door.

There's a self serve pump with fuel price much lower than the FBOs near the T-Hangars (north side) for those stopping at KELP. The KELP self serve is usually lower than the KDNA Dona Ana price also ...

I will respect your opinion. And I appreciate the info from Sporty's. When I am parking and the winds are gusty I will use my parking brake to insure stability of the airframe while tying down. Should I have then removed the parking brake - ok probably. And as an A&P I am well aware of the limitations of hydraulic airplane parking brakes. Even if it is a rented ramp space I still believe if the owner secures the airplane for an 8 hour visit the FBO should not be untying and towing the airplane without the owners express permission. One of my concerns is that frequently linemen do a lousy job of tying down. They either do a terrible job with the knots, a couple of half hitches spaced a foot apart to me is not acceptable. Or they do not put enough tension on the ropes and the airplane rocks & moves in the wind. And I deplore chains which allow the airplane to move and then abruptly bang into a hard stop. So my strong preference is when I secure my bird it stays there until I return!

Do your brakes hold for more than a few hours? Typical high wing Cessna brakes are pretty hit & miss in this regard. Hot brakes quickly lose holding power and cold brakes hold longer if set when cold but seem to bleed pressure eventually.

Do your brakes hold for more than a few hours? Typical high wing Cessna brakes are pretty hit & miss in this regard. Hot brakes quickly lose holding power and cold brakes hold longer if set when cold but seem to bleed pressure eventually.
Nope. The reason I set them that day was because it was gusty and wanted it stable until I tied it down. Then did not think to take them off. Did not anticipate a line boy deciding to move my airplane for the few hours I was there.

Nope. The reason I set them that day was because it was gusty and wanted it stable until I tied it down. Then did not think to take them off. Did not anticipate a line boy deciding to move my airplane for the few hours I was there.

Stinson in San Antonio really watches out for pilots regarding bad weather. Thy put my Tiger in-doors years ago because of a slight THREAT of bad weather over night on day 2 of my trip and never charged. My original CFI years ago was so paranoid about a parking brake not releasing completely for take off if used at the run-up that he never allowed it's use ... I'm in a windy area - chocks and tie down have always been fine

I normally go places with no real FBO. Just leave me an unlocked or coded OPS building, preferable with a potty. I like cheap fuel too, no water in it either. Yeah, a car is nice at times. I do normally put some gas in it.

I’m not into parking brakes, chocks are fine.

Back