San Diego Bay Tour - Wow

N1120A

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
N1120A
Having moved recently to San Diego, I've been exploring the area more - as opposed to just flying in and out of MYF or SEE (yuck, cause it is twice as far and that hill). I flew the 500/800 foot bay tour the other day for the first time and it was incredible. The SAN and NZY towers are so accommodating and the views are stunning. We then did a 180 over the bridge headed back to MYF via the Delta transition and they couldn't have been more helpful. I'll definitely do this one again and recommend anyone who visits take the opportunity to do so.

I have done that tour and it is epic. Depart there for Catalina then fly the VFR corridor over LAX

Hat trick

Be sure to visit EAA Chapter 14 at Brown Field. They are a bunch of good guys. They made me at home when I was in S.D. for a number of months.

Be sure to visit EAA Chapter 14 at Brown Field. They are a bunch of good guys. They made me at home when I was in S.D. for a number of months.

I have good memories of Brown field. Flying in there with Tijuana Airport off the wing was fun. We would catch a cab to the border and go into TJ for tacos, then fly back up to KCMA

I know it doesn't have the personal touch that @N1120A posting his own would, but google 'taxiway d tour san diego bay' if you waana see what it looks like

I've heard they are pretty awesome. As I get more into the local scene, I definitely will explore some of those.

I know it doesn't have the personal touch that @N1120A posting his own would, but google 'taxiway d tour san diego bay' if you waana see what it looks like

Yeah, unfortunately I was sorta busy flying the plane :p. My passenger was pretty awed by his first "small plane" experience, so he missed some good photo ops. My next passenger on the tour is more seasoned and I'm sure we'll get a bunch of good shots.

Incidentally, while putting in Direct MZB from the Coronado Bridge is quite helpful, the visual cues of Taxiway D are unmistakable at SAN. Also, they will basically always cut you loose to MYF as soon as you are done crossing the 5 anyway. It actually sets you up for basically a perfect 45 into MYF (the only perfect sight picture that ever existed for the airport with the worst sight picture on earth).

I've heard they are pretty awesome. As I get more into the local scene, I definitely will explore some of those.

Yeah, unfortunately I was sorta busy flying the plane :p. My passenger was pretty awed by his first "small plane" experience, so he missed some good photo ops. My next passenger on the tour is more seasoned and I'm sure we'll get a bunch of good shots.

Incidentally, while putting in Direct MZB from the Coronado Bridge is quite helpful, the visual cues of Taxiway D are unmistakable at SAN. Also, they will basically always cut you loose to MYF as soon as you are done crossing the 5 anyway. It actually sets you up for basically a perfect 45 into MYF (the only perfect sight picture that ever existed for the airport with the worst sight picture on earth).

D used to be a Runway. That's a great 'first' flight. Is he/she talkin about learning to fly? Good job in giving a good ride.

Last edited:
That used to be a Runway. That's a great 'first' flight. Is he/she talkin about learning to fly? Good job in giving a good ride.

I'm not sure his wife, my wife's best friend, would be happy with him learning to fly. I think he enjoys the view of being a passenger though.

I kind of figured that was the old little crosswind runway they had.

I have good memories of Brown field. Flying in there with Tijuana Airport off the wing was fun. We would catch a cab to the border and go into TJ for tacos, then fly back up to KCMA

I have good experience at Calexico (CXL) airport 75nm east of the SDM. No need to cross boarder to have authentic taco and Mexican food at Rosa's Plane Food on the field. And there is a shopping outlet just across the street. Great to have a good walk after lunch. I had good experience with CBP officers at both CXL and SDM for the re entrance.

Back to the topic, I like to try out the SAN bay tour some time. Thanks for the information.

I have good experience at Calexico (CXL) airport 75nm east of the SDM. No need to cross boarder to have authentic taco and Mexican food at Rosa's Plane Food on the field. And there is a shopping outlet just across the street. Great to have a good walk after lunch. I had good experience with CBP officers at both CXL and SDM for the re entrance.

Back to the topic, I like to try out the SAN bay tour some time. Thanks for the information.
Rosa's moved to IPL. Haven't been to the new location yet. It was excellent at CXL. You can still get authentic Mexican by flying to CXL. It's a short walk to the border crossing.

Wow, thanks for the info. Never cross the border from CXL other than flew back from MX for CBP clearance. Will try it next time. But I still miss the Rosa's great MX food. :)

I have done that tour and it is epic. Depart there for Catalina then fly the VFR corridor over LAX

Hat trick

Add a pit stop at Lake Elsinore=hat trick plus. Spent some time at MCAS El Toro, MCAS Tustin, Pont Loma and Midway CV41. Beautiful area with the best weather on the planet, except june gloom. Enjoyed the great pics from Cava.
Thanks!

So I have never seen the Golden Gate, or Statue of Liberty or the SD Bay Tour, etc etc
Is there a written description of the route and altitudes for these? There must be something, otherwise you'd interfere with atc's plan for normal traffic, and they don't want to constantly be nudging you in the right direction. I have seen one for Niagara Falls but that was a Cdn publication. Grand Canyon has the SFAR.
Are they somewhere in the publication (formerly known as) the AF/D?

I did that when I was there about a year ago (Rented a 182 with First Flight at Brown). It was awesome. My only regret was not taking more pictures!

So I have never seen the Golden Gate, or Statue of Liberty or the SD Bay Tour, etc etc
Is there a written description of the route and altitudes for these? There must be something, otherwise you'd interfere with atc's plan for normal traffic, and they don't want to constantly be nudging you in the right direction. I have seen one for Niagara Falls but that was a Cdn publication. Grand Canyon has the SFAR.
Are they somewhere in the publication (formerly known as) the AF/D?

For Statue of Liberty, see https://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/ALC/course_content.aspx?cID=79&sID=389&preview=true. You can also review the "Related Media for this Course", with PDF of corridor and text version of the course.

My buddy and I did it a week ago. Wasn't too hard and you get great views. Listening to helicopter operators was "enlightening". Some major silliness going on there. (Talk like pirate, etc.)

So I have never seen the Golden Gate

There is a SF "Bay Tour" but that just means you are gonna mosey around at will and do some sight seeing. There are no dedicated "routes" for the tour itself. There are preferred VFR transition routes up the peninsula for SFO Bravo transitions if needed, but other than that although it is busy airspace as long as you remain clear of C and B you have free reign to dart around as desired, especially over the SF Bay.

The San Diego bay tour is great! Some of my best flying pics are from there

The San Diego bay tour is great! Some of my best flying pics are from there

Here's a few from 2002 flying out of the North Island NAS Flying club in a T-41. Loved the "Cleared north through the Bravo offshore and below 500'" clearance Lindbergh Tower always gave us... Made for an interesting flight avoiding flying over boats, swimmers, and surfers. :)

http://imagesdesavions.com/trip/index2.html

(It looks particularly dreary in these pictures mostly because of all the wildfirre smoke, although the June Gloom did not help any either)

Last edited:

Is this still relatively up to date? Flying in from Phoenix to KCMA and was thinking about doing the SD bay "taxiway delta" tour, to the Hollywood Park VFR corridor (or any VFR corridor) in LA, to CMA.

There is a SF "Bay Tour" but that just means you are gonna mosey around at will and do some sight seeing. There are no dedicated "routes" for the tour itself. There are preferred VFR transition routes up the peninsula for SFO Bravo transitions if needed, but other than that although it is busy airspace as long as you remain clear of C and B you have free reign to dart around as desired, especially over the SF Bay.
Not the entire SF Bay, just the part north of the city. Usually you receive the restriction "... remain clear of the Bravo, north of the Bay Bridge". It still allows you to fly directly over the Golden Gate, Sausalito, Alcatraz, Angel Island, etc. The entire Bay area is a spectacular place to fly. When I lived in the South Bay, I would usually fly out over Half Moon Bay (much prettier flight along the coast) and then cross the Golden Gate west to east.2016-02-05 20.07.54.jpgSnapseed 3.JPG

Back