Goodyear Blimp at the Fiesta Bowl

It flew by our tower earlier this year. I asked them if they could program their sign to say something specific. (I was thinking "Hi Tim")

They said they could but they didn't have enough time to do it before it was out of camera range from my office.

The blimp skedaddled out of town as we were flying this morning. The radio calls had a definite theme to them, for example, "Goodyear 3 Alpha, Goodyear Tower, start the left turn, cross the runway, proceed direct to Litchfield Park." [The town of Litchfield Park AZ, just north of Goodyear AZ, was founded by and named for Paul Litchfield, first CEO of Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.]

DSC00789.jpeg

0713191232.jpg 0202161235.jpg We keep those in Ohio also. ;-) Took the pic of the blimp hangar in Akron from the 182. The other is taken from my back porch. The pavement under the blimp is the runway at KBJJ....

Jim

PS- Oh, and those blimp pilots are GOOD!! With the wind down the runway, I've watched them actually back down the runway @ BJJ

Last edited:
View attachment 81454 View attachment 81455 We keep those in Ohio also. ;-) Took the pic of the blimp hangar in Akron from the 182. The other is taken from my back porch. The pavement under the blimp is the runway at KBJJ....

Jim

PS- Oh, and those blimp pilots are GOOD!! With the wind down the runway, I've watched them actually back down the runway @ BJJ

While that is a blimp hangar, it's not the one that Goodyear uses today, as it's owned by Lockheed Martin

Back