Looking for an A&P to provide assistance in an engine related lawsuit

engineer from the engine manufacturer could be subpoenaed to act as a credible witness,
FYI: the last thing you want to do is force someone to opine on your behalf. Better for the engineer to come willingly and pay him for his time. There are plenty of aviation engineers out there who would be happy to help for the right price.

It seems to me that you don't want a run-of-the-mill A&P. What you want is someone who is an expert at rebuilding engines, who can talk about what happens if a blue paper towel gets left in the sump during a rebuild (hypothetically speaking, of course). Charles Melot, the former owner of Zephyr Engines, comes to mind. The idea is to find someone who is an expert on the innards of an engine and what could happen if a blue paper towel is left in the sump (hypothetically speaking, of course).

Usually insurance covers damage from a mechanical failure, not the failure.

True! Our insurance paid $50,000 damages to our home after a plumbing connection burst, but they would not pay for the new $7 connector.

Seems like any A&P with gray hair and active experience would be able to articulate that it is not normal practice to leave blue shop towels inside of an engine. I know one for sure that would explain why one does not stuff anything with blue shop towels. Are you expecting the defence to put up a million dollar attorney against you? This seems like an easy matter that can be settled with mediation. I can’t believe the shop’s insurance hasn’t begged you to settle this. Unless this has an interesting timeline...
*I am not an attorney but they call me Saul*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t believe the shop’s insurance hasn’t begged you to settle this.

I've been on the wrong end of a few aircraft claims, and one shop claim. With aircraft/hull insurance, they send a dude with a bag of money and wallpaper the place in hundred dollar bills until everyone's fat and giggly. Our shop insurance, though, was WORSE than auto insurance, and wanted proofs, engineering, indemnities, and refused to even communicate with us in a timely fashion -- while our poor customer was getting more and more ****ed. I was surprised and powerless, and in the end, it took the (now ex-) customer to lawyer up to even get them off of their asses and settle up. I'm still not even sure we made the alleged mistake, but I was expecting a "pay now, claw back later if we're wrong" attitude, and I was very mistaken. In retrospect, I'm not sure what we were paying the 20 grand a year for.

Not surprised this is headed down that road. Aircraft MX insurance is not remotely like aircraft insurance.

Seems like any A&P with gray hair and active experience would be able to articulate that it is not normal practice to leave blue shop towels inside of an engine. I know one for sure that would explain why one does not stuff anything with blue shop towels. Are you expecting the defence to put up a million dollar attorney against you? This seems like an easy matter that can be settled with mediation. I can’t believe the shop’s insurance hasn’t begged you to settle this. Unless this has an interesting timeline...
*I am not an attorney but they call me Saul*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The insurance won’t get involved until the shop gets sued.

Got to love the Mike Bush haters.

Not hate at all...just reality and a long history of experience with the man disseminating untrue BS over the years. He was quite active over at CPA back in the years it was going strong...I believe he had a loose partnership with a John Frank, or was an employee of Frank's, but can't swear to that. Here are two of his gems from those days (circa 2004...2008) that I shared here a couple of years ago:

He told a member that he didn't need to worry about his oil not getting up to operating temperature in the winter because the cold winter air doesn't hold much moisture, therefore water doesn't need to be "boiled out" of the oil like it does in the summer. The CPA members had to point out to him that water in the oil was a byproduct of combustion...not moisture in the air. Duhh.

Then there was his claim that you're costing yourself money if you stop at the SS island after your flight to fill up before taxiing on to your hangar. He claimed it's a false economy because cold starts are what puts wear and tear on your engine. Again, CPA members had to point out to him that the start-up after filling up wasn't a cold start...it was a warm start and very little, if any, wear and tear results. And he argued with them for an extended time (about a year IIRC) before he finally acquiesced and admitted he was wrong.

I'm not saying that everything Mike espouses is BS, I'm just saying be careful what you believe and don't assume that he's god. He's far from it.

It's not so much Mike as the cult-like fawning his fans exhibit. Like someone who just bought a time-share or a Kirby vacuum. :rolleyes:

True! Our insurance paid $50,000 damages to our home after a plumbing connection burst, but they would not pay for the new $7 connector.
And when the O360 in our 172 sent a valve through the head, the insurance paid the $7k to fix the wing that was dinged from a road sign, but it wouldn't touch the $33k for the engine itself.

I can think of a few other aviation writers who have a following, and have garnered awards from various groups. I wouldn't consider them as "experts" in anything except writing skills.
Gee, if only you could write too.

Back