Which fuel tank sensor type should I get?

birdus

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Williams
I'm about to order an Electronics International CGR-30C for my Luscombe 8E. On the order form, I need to choose a fuel tank sensor type from among:
  • Resistive Sensor
  • E.I. P-300M Magnetic Sensor (from Electronics International)
  • E.I. P-300C Capacitive Sensor(from Electronics International)
  • CIES Volts
  • CIES Frequency
  • Penny Cap Capacitive or Other Sensor Type
What is the best choice that will fit my Luscombe 12.5 gallon tanks?

Thanks,
Jay

I'm betting the standard old resistive type sender will be the easiest to install, set up and will give you just about as accurate as you're gonna get.

But, if it were me, I'd still put my trust in the watch and the dip stick.

Last edited:
But, if it were me, I'd still put my trust in the watch and the dip stick.

Included in the kit are 8 functions, so it made sense to include the 2 fuel tanks, along with RPM, oil temp, oil pressure, volts, EGT, and tach time.

I'm about to order an Electronics International CGR-30C for my Luscombe 8E. On the order form, I need to choose a fuel tank sensor type from among:
  • Resistive Sensor
  • CIES Volts
  • CIES Frequency

Thanks,
Jay

I’d pick the one with no moving parts if there is such a sensor.

Tom

The resistive sensors can use the existing wires. The capacitance ones require another wire to be pulled.

A CRG-30P for a luscombe....is an STEC ap and an Avidyne IFD 550 next?

• Resistive Sensor
  • CIES Volts
  • CIES Frequency

Thanks,
Jay

You have old mechanical ones? Which aftermarket transmitter will fit? IDK because I'm not up to speed on all things Luscombe but it seems to me the type sensor you can actually install in your Luscombe with minimal downtime would dictate what the CGR needs to be compatible with.

For example, Cies doesn't show any Luscombe models on their website which would lead me to assume they have neve sold parts for one. Electronic fuel gauge may not be an option for you.

FWIW I have never had decent luck with OEM sensors married to a new digital instrument.

Last edited:
You have old mechanical ones? Which aftermarket transmitter will fit?

After a little more research, it seems like there might not be any electronic transmitters for these tanks. Besides, the electronic ones I'm finding are a bit expensive ($400 - $500 each). I may just skip that feature and stay with the originals (which, indeed, are mechanical). Just need to un-jam the one in the right tank.

Jay

After a little more research, it seems like there might not be any electronic transmitters for these tanks. Besides, the electronic ones I'm finding are a bit expensive ($400 - $500 each). I may just skip that feature and stay with the originals (which, indeed, are mechanical). Just need to un-jam the one in the right tank.

Jay

If you eliminate the fuel quantity is there a better deal to be had on another feature? It seems like as long as the feature you asked for was a "primary" then the sensor was free, like fuel flow. Even tho you don't have any fuel flow you might be able to add it as a "primary" and get a free sensor to boot. (free sensor thing excludes fuel quantity unfortunately)

Just don't want you to miss out on something when you pull the trigger.

Cies doesn't show any Luscombe models on their website which would lead me to assume they have neve sold parts for one.

When I bought my Cies digital senders they didn't show Cherokee either but they have a disclaimer on their site which states, and I'm paraphrasing, "if you don't see your aircraft on this list, don't worry, its coming." I called and talked to them (actually, he frequents this site) and got the right senders I needed for my plane. He has a really cool accent too, very nice people with good customer service.

If you eliminate the fuel quantity is there a better deal to be had on another feature? It seems like as long as the feature you asked for was a "primary" then the sensor was free, like fuel flow. Even tho you don't have any fuel flow you might be able to add it as a "primary" and get a free sensor to boot. (free sensor thing excludes fuel quantity unfortunately)

Just don't want you to miss out on something when you pull the trigger.

Great suggestion! Thanks!

First question is what are you going to use for the actual gauge? If you're going to use EI's gauge or the MVP-50, I'd seriously consider the capacitive sender. If you're using something approximating a stock aircraft gauge, your only real answer is likely a resistive sender.

The resistive sensors can use the existing wires.

What existing wires?

A CRG-30P for a luscombe....is an STEC ap and an Avidyne IFD 550 next?

Those are sweet components! Just ordered them. They're on the way. This is going to be a great Christmas and I'm going to have one awesome Luscombe!

The existing wires to the resistive sender.

That was sarcasm. My existing fuel gauges don't have any wires attached to them. Just a float with a gauge hooked to it.

Despite people telling me what I should or shouldn't do with my airplane, I've gone ahead and ordered the CGR-30C. I called and talked to the nice folks at Electronics International and figured things out. Probably should've done that to start with. They have designed and make their own fuel senders. The one I'll use is their magnetic P-300M. Fuel senders is the one kind of sensor not included in the price. However, with the discounts they have going on, the pain is eased somewhat. One thing I'm excited about (besides a super clean panel) is that this instrument tracks all the data from every flight which you can download later for analysis. Anyway, I'm excited about this upgrade, among others I'm doing to the plane. Also added fuel flow. Thanks for helping me spend my money, Brian (bnt83)!

Jay
Mikes A Fordable.com All your fuel gauge needs in one shop. ;)

Despite people telling me what I should or shouldn't do with my airplane, I've gone ahead and ordered the CGR-30C. I called and talked to the nice folks at Electronics International and figured things out. Probably should've done that to start with. They have designed and make their own fuel senders. The one I'll use is their magnetic P-300M. Fuel senders is the one kind of sensor not included in the price. However, with the discounts they have going on, the pain is eased somewhat. One thing I'm excited about (besides a super clean panel) is that this instrument tracks all the data from every flight which you can download later for analysis. Anyway, I'm excited about this upgrade, among others I'm doing to the plane. Also added fuel flow. Thanks for helping me spend my money, Brian (bnt83)!

Interesting. Looks like a knock-off of the CiES sensor. Same tech, similar design. Wonder if it's licensed or if the patent expired. Same price, even. I've been very happy with my CiES sensors (and just wrote another post on them in another thread, coincidentally).

The method is similar but it is different technology. EI uses a Hall effect sensor, and CiES uses an AMR sensor. AMR is used extensively in automotive for drive by wire functions. Throttle pedal and throttle plate, brakes, crankshaft position sensing i has supplanted hall devices as it is temperature tolerant and stable. Patent still in force

I have not purchased an EI sensor before but was pretty impressed with the Cies I installed in my dad's 182, the build quality screams aircraft parts compared to the OEM automotive crap I took out.

Our P-300M probes will be a direct replacement for the Luscombe's factory resistive float probes and will wire directly to the EDC as the EDC provides the required 5VDC to the probe.
Our P-300C probe would require a redesign and certification of the tank as it is not a float probe.

Our P-300M probes will be a direct replacement for the Luscombe's factory resistive float probes and will wire directly to the EDC as the EDC provides the required 5VDC to the probe.

I talked to you guys on the phone and that's exactly what I ordered, except the factory gauges aren't electric at all. Just a cork float, a couple gears, and a dial. Can't wait for the new panel!

I talked to you guys on the phone and that's exactly what I ordered, except the factory gauges aren't electric at all. Just a cork float, a couple gears, and a dial. Can't wait for the new panel!

We can do A LOT better than that! :)

Back