RLOC incident, Cortland NY (N03)

Hmmmm, I don't see any mention touch and goes, where did you see that? 5:46pm would have been dark, you need full stop landing for them to count toward night currency. I flew yesterday morning in Mass, it was a little gusty, probably the same in NY last night.

Surface winds were light the day of the incident. Probably 0-5 out of the northwest. The plane reportedly lost control during takeoff.

Hit a snow drift on the runway with a main wheel turning the plane into the snowbank.??

Hit a snow drift on the runway with a main wheel turning the plane into the snowbank.??

Short of this, or some type of mechanical failure, how do you lose control of a Cherokee 140 on takeoff in calm winds?

People don’t think ice and snow be like it be

I was thinking about this flying around on Christmas day. The topic of touch and goes is pretty contentious amount us Mooniacs, and as I was flying around I was giving it some thought. I was just out to do some landings, so why not just stay at my home drone and do some T&G's? I decided that I really wanted to practice approach and landing, i.e. slowing the aircraft down and going through all the things I have to do to transition from cruise to landing. Gotta slow the airplane down, have to get the gear out, flaps out, cowl flaps open, boost pump on, mixture and prop adjusted, and landing light on. I'm probably forgetting something as I write this. Just doing T&Gs, I don't do any of that. Granted I was at low power, normally I have a lot more slowing down to do. But in this instance I found flying between nearby airports to be really good practice. And it was Christmas so I wasn't in a hurry.

I think T&Gs are a bad idea in a complex airplane. Too damn much stuff to do in too little time, you can easily forget something important, like the gear. It's happened. But lots of folks think otherwise.

snip

I think T&Gs are a bad idea in a complex airplane. Too damn much stuff to do in too little time, you can easily forget something important, like the gear. It's happened. But lots of folks think otherwise.

And that's fine, you should not do anything you are not comfortable with, you may be right for a complex airplane, I don't have my complex endorsement. For me the value in touch and goes is from short final to flaps up after take off, maintaining control on the runway plus take off and landing. It's great for knocking off rust on landings. Flying between airports, especially short distances is very useful too, lot's to do in a short amount of time. How is the instrument training coming?

Back