Star Wars IX

Ravioli

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Unwanted Guest - Perma-ban Pending
Dear Lord,

Please do not allow Disney to further desecrate the Star Wars saga.

This (hopefully last) installment is a disgrace.

Just an opinion.

Yeah it sucked.. I feel like 2/3 of the audience though have never seen the originals and only care about baby Yoda.. I bet the majority age group is about 7-19. My list of grievances is too long

This made me feel better, FYI:

Lucas wasn't too happy about SW 7 or 8, either but wasn't this candid (vicious) After $3 billion for all of Star Wars and LucasFilms, I'm not sure he has the right to complain. Altho, as I understand it, Disney completely ignored his 40 yr old outline of the last 3 films and invented what it wanted, ignoring his plans & wishes.

For $3 Billion, I'll let you trash everything I've done in my life, too.

The movies aren't sagas anymore telling a consistent story with well developed character arcs.. instead its a visual theme park where things don't need to make any sense or tie out to the other films. From a story perspective it totally sucks. Visually looks cool at times, but it's otherwise trash.

This here does a better job of explaining the same issues I've had.. I said I wouldn't list my grievances.. but whatever, here they are, since someone else wrote them better than me. And while the prequels get hate, at least it was a consistent coherent story. These last 3 look impressive, but they're a total mess

1. One thousand Death Stars
Late in the movie it’s revealed that this massive fleet of Star Destroyers that Emperor Palpatine pulled out of the ice on Exegol at the beginning of the movie was equipped with Death Star lasers. The reveal is made when one of them blows up a planet for no particular reason. The Resistance folks then briefly huddle up and decide that probably all those ships can do that. That seems like an illogical conclusion to draw, because that would mean the bad guys have an entire fleet of Death Stars, which would be easily the most ludicrous thing that has ever happened in a “Star Wars” movie. But since the issue is never mentioned again we aren’t sure what other conclusion we could come to.

2. The Rebel fleet from nowhere
To challenge all those Death Stars, the Resistance launches an attack on Exegol with only a Corellian Corvette and like one single fighter squadron and one carrier ship full of troops. Fortunately for them, Lando spent a couple hours flying around the galaxy and casually assembling the biggest fleet we’ve ever seen in any of these movies. That’s absolutely crazy. Lando was not even gone that long.

3. The Emperor returns before the movie starts
There’s a lot of creative decisions on this movie I can’t even begin to understand, and the most confusing of those is the decision to have Emperor Palpatine make his big return to the galactic stage between movies. How do you bring back a dead character and not even let us see characters reacting to that revelation as it happens? This one actually makes me mad. If you’re gonna cram a whole trilogy of stories in one movie, you still have to start at the beginning.

4. Rey is the Emperor’s granddaughter
The climax of the “Skywalker Saga” was about two Palpatine family members fighting each other. Incredible.

5. Luke and Leia knew about Rey’s lineage the whole time
This is just a confusing bit. When did they learn this important fact? Why had they never done anything with that tidbit of key info? There’s a lot of weird ramifications to their possession of this knowledge, and “The Rise of Skywalker” has no interest in exploring any of them.

6. Leia died for no reason
They decided to kill off Leia in the strangest and low-key way: by calling out through the Force. It took Luke physically projecting himself across the galaxy and doing a lightsaber fight before the effort killed him. How weak are we supposed to think Leia is?

7. The Knights of Ren
Late in the film, Ben Solo/Kylo Ren is forced to fight his former bros the Knights of Ren in order to earn his redemption. It’s a powerful scene, the culmination of a character arc stretching back three films… is what we’d say if the Knights had like, any role before “The Rise of Skywalker.” They’re in this trilogy for less than 5 minutes, none of them speaks or has any personality, and they don’t even use lightsabers. They basically existed only so we’d know the origin of Kylo Ren’s dorky last name, and when we finally saw them up close, it turns out they dress like the corniest nu metal band of 1996. PASS.

8. The Resurrection
So Rey kills Palpatine, and then dies. Kylo Ren climbs out of the hole he fell into, and somehow uses the Force to revive her corpse. They can just resurrect people now! OK!

9. The Kiss
So Rey is alive again, and the first thing she does is make out with Kylo Ren. They haven’t had an ounce of romantic chemistry in these movies, but some “Star Wars” nerds shipped them so I guess they had to do it.

10. The Death
Immediately after this kiss, Ben rolls over and dies, apparently having given all of his life force to Rey to bring her back to life in what was supposed to be the film’s most dramatic and emotionally poignant scene. At that precise moment in our screening, the entire theater burst into hysterical laughter. Whoops.

11. The Force can do literally anything
All wounds are trivial now because Force users can easily heal them. If they’re too late and the person died, they can just bring them back from the dead. Need to ship a package? Just use the Force to teleport it! Wanna have a lightsaber duel with somebody a hundred miles away? The Force has online multiplayer. Rey is just a God now, the most powerful being who ever lived. But Leia died from yelling.

12. Chewie died but actually he didn’t
This whole sequence is strange. Chewie gets captured by the First Order when he’s like 30 yards from the rest of our heroes. Then Rey accidentally blows up the ship they were taking him away on. Except actually Chewie was on a different but identical ship because “The Rise of Skywalker” wanted to pull a stupidly manipulative misdirect.

13. C-3PO got his memory wiped but then got it back
So our heroes need to read something in the Sith language, which it turns out 3PO can read. Unfortunately, his programming forbids him from translating it. (Who did this? Doesn’t matter. It just is.) This forces them to reboot 3PO to override that programming, which will erase his memory and effectively kill him as he’s been known. It sounds sad, and 3PO even gets an emotional farewell out of it. Then the film pulls a movie length JK because not only is it played for laughs from there out, at the end 3PO gets his memories restored thanks to a backup on R2D2’s hard drive.

14. Poe has Han Solo’s backstory now
One of the 57 new planets we visit in “The Rise of Skywalker” is Kijimi, where we meet Poe’s ex-girlfriend, who reveals that Poe was a spice runner before becoming a Resistance fighter. Because for some reason they needed a new Han I guess.

15. General Hux
Speaking of criminally underdeveloped characters, Hux is revealed to be a mole within the First Order, feeding information to the Resistance, uh Rebellion two movies after his Reichstag speech on Starkiller base, because he hates Kylo Ren more than he loves the First Order. And then, literally the next scene after we learn this, he’s unceremoniously killed by his commanding officer who announces “we found the mole.” Hux joins Boba Fett and Captain Phasma in the pantheon of Star Wars bad guys whose deaths are as pointless as, it turns out, the characters themselves were. At least he got more lines than Rose Tico.

16. The Force told those stormtroopers to rebel
Finn meets a woman name Jannah, who was also a former First Order stormtrooper who had been stolen from her parents when she was a kid and then rebelled as an adult. And they have this fun moment where they talk about how they decided to rebel because they had this weird feeling that they should. And they decide that feeling was the Force. Not, you know, their conscience. Or guilt about helping out a fascist government. They’d have happily done state-sponsored murder had the Force not pinged them, I guess.

17. Ghost Luke
So Luke died, and is a ghost. But he can still pick up physical objects with his non-physical hand. And he can use the Force to lift his X-Wing out of the ocean. Sounds like being dead is all upside.

18. Pretending Rose wasn’t a main character

19. Maz Kanata
They got the amazing Lupita Nyong’o to play maybe the most pointless character in this whole trilogy. The only thing of note she does in this movie is give Chewbacca a medal in an egregiously annoying bit of fan service.

20. Chewbacca gets a medal
I’m not sure how Maz giving Chewie a medal for no reason whatsoever is supposed to make up for his snub in the original “Star Wars” film. This bit feels so shameless.

21. The Resistance did not actually win the war
So in the final battle of “The Rise of Skywalker,” the Resistance manages to take out Emperor Palpatine’s fleet, and one First Order Star Destroyer. So, uh, that means the rest of the First Order military is still out there. And the First Order military is apparently large enough that it conquered the entire galaxy in just a couple days. Which means that with the fleet of randoms that they assembled in this movie still, the Resistance still has a long road ahead it if it wants to liberate the galaxy. So, what I’m saying is that basically the entire war takes place during the epilogue of “The Rise of Skywalker,” when we see random Star Destroyers getting blown up. Yikes.

Dear Lord,

Please do not allow Disney to further desecrate the Star Wars saga.

This (hopefully last) installment is a disgrace.

Just an opinion.

Think Star Wars was doomed on the first reboot of it, with the annoying little kid and the doofy looking new aliens. First original ones we proper cinema, after that it was just microwaving old left overs and expecting them to taste the same.

Heck with this new one they made the toys before the movie it seems, with that mini yoda thing in the egg cart? Come on lol

As an aside...

...I was forced to go see Uncut Gems today. Bad isn't even close to being harsh enough. Story line? What story line? Random scenes pasted together with arguments and violence tossed in as a failed attempt to keep you interested....ummm...yeah...

One of the key things that Disney is missing is a core brand manager who is the single source of information about Star Wars - if anyone knows someone at LucasFilms who is hiring for that role, I volunteer as tribute.

I believe the consistency of the Star Wars universe is one of the things that worked for it because that's what built the (admittedly geeky) fan base. They know how things work, they know why they work, they know what the limits are. What Disney has allowed in the past five movies has been a corruption of that and therefore they are losing...perhaps have lost...the fans. Simple business logic, if you buy a franchise for 3 billion dollars, it would be really good to not run off the people who made that franchise worth 3 billion (or more).

The movies aren't sagas anymore telling a consistent story with well developed character arcs.. instead its a visual theme park where things don't need to make any sense or tie out to the other films. From a story perspective it totally sucks. Visually looks cool at times, but it's otherwise trash.

This here does a better job of explaining the same issues I've had.. I said I wouldn't list my grievances.. but whatever, here they are, since someone else wrote them better than me. And while the prequels get hate, at least it was a consistent coherent story. These last 3 look impressive, but they're a total mess

1. One thousand Death Stars
Late in the movie it’s revealed that this massive fleet of Star Destroyers that Emperor Palpatine pulled out of the ice on Exegol at the beginning of the movie was equipped with Death Star lasers. The reveal is made when one of them blows up a planet for no particular reason. The Resistance folks then briefly huddle up and decide that probably all those ships can do that. That seems like an illogical conclusion to draw, because that would mean the bad guys have an entire fleet of Death Stars, which would be easily the most ludicrous thing that has ever happened in a “Star Wars” movie. But since the issue is never mentioned again we aren’t sure what other conclusion we could come to.

2. The Rebel fleet from nowhere
To challenge all those Death Stars, the Resistance launches an attack on Exegol with only a Corellian Corvette and like one single fighter squadron and one carrier ship full of troops. Fortunately for them, Lando spent a couple hours flying around the galaxy and casually assembling the biggest fleet we’ve ever seen in any of these movies. That’s absolutely crazy. Lando was not even gone that long.

3. The Emperor returns before the movie starts
There’s a lot of creative decisions on this movie I can’t even begin to understand, and the most confusing of those is the decision to have Emperor Palpatine make his big return to the galactic stage between movies. How do you bring back a dead character and not even let us see characters reacting to that revelation as it happens? This one actually makes me mad. If you’re gonna cram a whole trilogy of stories in one movie, you still have to start at the beginning.

The climax of the “Skywalker Saga” was about two Palpatine family members fighting each other. Incredible.

5. Luke and Leia knew about Rey’s lineage the whole time
This is just a confusing bit. When did they learn this important fact? Why had they never done anything with that tidbit of key info? There’s a lot of weird ramifications to their possession of this knowledge, and “The Rise of Skywalker” has no interest in exploring any of them.

6. Leia died for no reason
They decided to kill off Leia in the strangest and low-key way: by calling out through the Force. It took Luke physically projecting himself across the galaxy and doing a lightsaber fight before the effort killed him. How weak are we supposed to think Leia is?

7. The Knights of Ren
Late in the film, Ben Solo/Kylo Ren is forced to fight his former bros the Knights of Ren in order to earn his redemption. It’s a powerful scene, the culmination of a character arc stretching back three films… is what we’d say if the Knights had like, any role before “The Rise of Skywalker.” They’re in this trilogy for less than 5 minutes, none of them speaks or has any personality, and they don’t even use lightsabers. They basically existed only so we’d know the origin of Kylo Ren’s dorky last name, and when we finally saw them up close, it turns out they dress like the corniest nu metal band of 1996. PASS.

8. The Resurrection
So Rey kills Palpatine, and then dies. Kylo Ren climbs out of the hole he fell into, and somehow uses the Force to revive her corpse. They can just resurrect people now! OK!

9. The Kiss
So Rey is alive again, and the first thing she does is make out with Kylo Ren. They haven’t had an ounce of romantic chemistry in these movies, but some “Star Wars” nerds shipped them so I guess they had to do it.

10. The Death
Immediately after this kiss, Ben rolls over and dies, apparently having given all of his life force to Rey to bring her back to life in what was supposed to be the film’s most dramatic and emotionally poignant scene. At that precise moment in our screening, the entire theater burst into hysterical laughter. Whoops.

All wounds are trivial now because Force users can easily heal them. If they’re too late and the person died, they can just bring them back from the dead. Need to ship a package? Just use the Force to teleport it! Wanna have a lightsaber duel with somebody a hundred miles away? The Force has online multiplayer. Rey is just a God now, the most powerful being who ever lived. But Leia died from yelling.

12. Chewie died but actually he didn’t
This whole sequence is strange. Chewie gets captured by the First Order when he’s like 30 yards from the rest of our heroes. Then Rey accidentally blows up the ship they were taking him away on. Except actually Chewie was on a different but identical ship because “The Rise of Skywalker” wanted to pull a stupidly manipulative misdirect.

So our heroes need to read something in the Sith language, which it turns out 3PO can read. Unfortunately, his programming forbids him from translating it. (Who did this? Doesn’t matter. It just is.) This forces them to reboot 3PO to override that programming, which will erase his memory and effectively kill him as he’s been known. It sounds sad, and 3PO even gets an emotional farewell out of it. Then the film pulls a movie length JK because not only is it played for laughs from there out, at the end 3PO gets his memories restored thanks to a backup on R2D2’s hard drive.

14. Poe has Han Solo’s backstory now
One of the 57 new planets we visit in “The Rise of Skywalker” is Kijimi, where we meet Poe’s ex-girlfriend, who reveals that Poe was a spice runner before becoming a Resistance fighter. Because for some reason they needed a new Han I guess.

15. General Hux
Speaking of criminally underdeveloped characters, Hux is revealed to be a mole within the First Order, feeding information to the Resistance, uh Rebellion two movies after his Reichstag speech on Starkiller base, because he hates Kylo Ren more than he loves the First Order. And then, literally the next scene after we learn this, he’s unceremoniously killed by his commanding officer who announces “we found the mole.” Hux joins Boba Fett and Captain Phasma in the pantheon of Star Wars bad guys whose deaths are as pointless as, it turns out, the characters themselves were. At least he got more lines than Rose Tico.

16. The Force told those stormtroopers to rebel
Finn meets a woman name Jannah, who was also a former First Order stormtrooper who had been stolen from her parents when she was a kid and then rebelled as an adult. And they have this fun moment where they talk about how they decided to rebel because they had this weird feeling that they should. And they decide that feeling was the Force. Not, you know, their conscience. Or guilt about helping out a fascist government. They’d have happily done state-sponsored murder had the Force not pinged them, I guess.

17. Ghost Luke
So Luke died, and is a ghost. But he can still pick up physical objects with his non-physical hand. And he can use the Force to lift his X-Wing out of the ocean. Sounds like being dead is all upside.

18. Pretending Rose wasn’t a main character

19. Maz Kanata
They got the amazing Lupita Nyong’o to play maybe the most pointless character in this whole trilogy. The only thing of note she does in this movie is give Chewbacca a medal in an egregiously annoying bit of fan service.

I’m not sure how Maz giving Chewie a medal for no reason whatsoever is supposed to make up for his snub in the original “Star Wars” film. This bit feels so shameless.

21. The Resistance did not actually win the war
So in the final battle of “The Rise of Skywalker,” the Resistance manages to take out Emperor Palpatine’s fleet, and one First Order Star Destroyer. So, uh, that means the rest of the First Order military is still out there. And the First Order military is apparently large enough that it conquered the entire galaxy in just a couple days. Which means that with the fleet of randoms that they assembled in this movie still, the Resistance still has a long road ahead it if it wants to liberate the galaxy. So, what I’m saying is that basically the entire war takes place during the epilogue of “The Rise of Skywalker,” when we see random Star Destroyers getting blown up. Yikes.
Finally, a real review of a movie that should have been 50x what it was. But then again the two before it were going the wrong way anyway. I had some respect for JJ but not any more. Heck, even the Phantom Menace felt like Star Wars compared to these. I hope SW tanks in a few years due to the stupid decisions they're making and they have to dump it to someone who will do it right...remake these 3.

You guys know that isn't really Lucas right?

Aside from that, I guess they had to phase Carrie Fisher out of the franchise somehow. Although laying down her life for her son (and/or Rey ultimately), was a cheap cop out way to 'make it noble'... at least they didn't gut her like a fish... or worse, have Jar Jar in the movie to accidentally shoot her.

And rumors have it that the baby Yoda in the Mandalorian isn't Yoda. But another character of the same species.
Which would make more sense.

Last edited:
A couple of notes:

It wasn't even much of a climax, which I think is caused by Abrams' failure at storytelling. He's trying to play Rey as actually being a Skywalker and a Jedi after rather anti-climatically revealing that she is Palpatine's granddaughter. To which my niece exclaimed "Someone with Palpatine? Ewwwwww."

All wounds are trivial now because Force users can easily heal them.

Jedi healers are a legitimate thing, but not expressed in previous films. The canon books have Jedi healers who use the Force to heal others. But healers were specialized and one did not fight and heal.

The "life force transference" thing WAS really, really stupid. Yet another example of Abrams not knowing his story environment.

So our heroes need to read something in the Sith language, which it turns out 3PO can read. Unfortunately, his programming forbids him from translating it. (Who did this? Doesn’t matter. It just is.)

In this case, the Imperial Senate decreed it and it's true for all droids. No droid was allowed to translate Sith.

At the end of Episode IV, Chewie isn't presented with a medal because medals don't mean anything to wookies. He didn't get snubbed, he was honored by his own people at a later time. So Maz giving Chewie a medal would have been equally stupid and it still wouldn't have mattered to Chewie to get it.

And when did Force Ghosts become an automatic things for dead Jedi? It is something Jedi Masters could do to hold their life force together rather than merging with the general Force after death. But anyone short of a master shouldn't know how to do this, certainly not Leia, nor "every Jedi who ever lived".

Yes, I take Star Wars lore very seriously. This movie was better that VIII, but still ranking in the bottom three out of 11 movies made.

I really enjoyed Rogue 1, Rebels is okay, didn't bother to see Han Solo, although I'd like to. The Mandalorian so far has been excellent.

These trilogy movies though.... absolute garbage. Completely destroying the 'rules'of the universe and the beloved characters. Seems like the more involved Kathleen Kennedy is, the worse. As much as I hated Lucas' specialized editions, and Hayden Christensen, at least there was a cohesive story, vision, and world.

The Rise of Skywalker was a furtherment to the suckage that was the Disney Star Wars franchise.

To add to the all the points above, the movie was a random accumulation of most characters from the past, including the Ewoks, but not Jar Jar Stinks (who was hypothesized by fandom to be purposely clumsy to mask that he was a Sith lord.)

The disjoined storyline was a challenge to follow for those who have followed the whole franchise, and even then, the non-sequiters really made the story line hard to follow. Poe as a pilot, but not as good as Rey. Finn seemed to have more of an affection for the female storm trooper than he did for Rey throughout the last 3 movies, the fact that Rey turns out to have Palpatine's powers (as a Palpatine), but then has affection for Kylo Ren (Ben) and finally declares herself a Skywalker on Tatooine... I don't know, there was no story line to build up and back into all this. And what seems to be the (now truly) Last Jedi (Rey) is really a Sith descendent, but now a convert to the ways of the Force. A bit of a stretch.

And as long as we're resurrecting Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, Carrie Fisher.... where was Kwi Gon Jinn, Obi Wan Kenobi, or Master Yoda? It would have made sense if they had convinced Rey to carry on and teach the ways of The Force rather than to retreat to Tattoine... which begs if this is a build up to another story line since this is the land of Luke and the sequestering planet of Obi Wan Kenobi.

And this also begs the question of Kylo Ren's pre-bad-guy name of Ben... was that an homage to Ben Kenobi? I'm still not sure...

Whatever the case, they got $30 from my pockets as I dragged my wife and son to the theater, only to have them also leave incredulous, confused and disappointed with the movie.

Saw Star Wars in the theater as a kid. Only one of the series that I’ve seen. :eek:

The dialogue (apparently Lucas wrote himself) in 4-6 was pathetic, if I were him I would keep my mouth shut.
I haven’t seen this yet, I’ll wait for DVD, but it can’t be worst than #4?

Tom

All Disney really cares about are those folks streaming into Disney Hollywood Studios to see the new area.

The real problem with this trilogy was that they let someone else direct the middle episode, and undo everything the first film set up. They set up a cool villain, so he gets bumped off without any explanation. They set up a cool backstory for the hero, but it gets dumped off as nothing. The whole point of the first move, that they're searching for Luke Skywalker, winds up being nothing because he doesn't want to play. The second movie was very nearly an anti Star Wars movie.

I hated that they brought back Palpatine, but I can't blame them. Star Wars needs a good bad guy, and Driver wasn't it.

Last edited:
My biggest beef is the whole force healing resurrecting. So why didnt obiwan use the force to heal qigong. Or heal amidala. Or why didnt anacan use the force heal his mom. It makes everything pointless if death isnt an issue. **** disney starwars.

The dialogue (apparently Lucas wrote himself) in 4-6 was pathetic, if I were him I would keep my mouth shut.
I haven’t seen this yet, I’ll wait for DVD, but it can’t be worst than #4?

I think it's way worse than 4. But then I'm one of the admittedly geeky fans.

My biggest beef is the whole force healing resurrecting. So why didnt obiwan use the force to heal qigong. Or heal amidala. Or why didnt anacan use the force heal his mom. It makes everything pointless if death isnt an issue. **** disney starwars.
The real issue is why do they die after using the Force? Characters in other movies did all kinds of things with the Force. Samuel L Jackson fended off all kinds of lightening from Darth Sidious without dying (until Anakin did him in) and Yoda fended it off from Count Duku and Sidious. Heck, Yoda lifted Luke Skywalker's X wing out of the muck and he didn't die.

And I didn't like Rey as a Palpatine. The thought that she could come up from nothing to become a powerful Jedi was more satisfying than the continued story of the fight between the Skywalkers and the Palpatines.

anyone short of a master shouldn't know how to do this
Right?! That was one of my biggest gripes.. the seemingly unlimited power of all Jedi.. even those with comparatively little training, like Rey! I understand Rey is some mega ultimate Jedi, but so was Anakin, who had a bonkers midichlorian count.. it all just seems too easy at this point

I do wish there was some more consistency and tie out to the prequels, and 4,5,6, outside of just flying the Millennium Falcon around.. how cool would it have been on one of these scavenger planets to see one of the old pod racers, or make SOME kind of reference to Coruscant, which you know.. WAS THE CAPITAL OF THE G**DAMN GALAXY!

**However, I did really like that Rey returned to Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen's place at the end

PS - Mandalorian
--that allegedly takes place about 25 years after Return of the Jedi.. so who does this Baby Yoda become? It's obviously completely inconsequential as there's zero reference to him/it in 7,8,9.. so the whole Mandalorian kind of loses its intrigue

Driver wasn't it
Nope!
We got to see Anakin turn into a bad guy.. all we know is that Han and Leia had a kid.. WTF are the knights of Ren, and being a product of "the good guys" how the hell did he become the guy in chart of the bad guys?

Also, where the hell did these bad guys come from? At the end of Return of the Jedi the universe was liberated and the good guys won.. so what is this First Order and why do they exist? At least in Phantom Menace we see how the government starts failing.. it was very "realistic" in that regard

The last 3 just gave us items on a platter and forced us to accept it, create a fake emotional bond, and move on. I was devastated when Qui Gon dies.. heart broken when I first watched New Hope and Obi Wan dies.. but here I honestly couldn't care less what happened to any of the good guys.. and it seems people no longer die in Star Wars anymore.

I've only ever seen the original Trilogy. I intend to keep it that way. Somethings are better left undone.

Hollywood has done a terrible job lately exploiting franchise names and continuing to pump out sequel after sequel. Star Wars, Star Trek, Fast and Furious, you name it. Just stop. Come up with something original.

even those with comparatively little training, like Rey!

I'm counting Rey as the Force exerting itself in order to come back to balance. She didn't learn how to do those things by accident, the Force directed her actions when it needed her to. Afterwards, she could not have repeated them without training. Extremely rare for that to happen. But now she has training.

Also, where the hell did these bad guys come from? At the end of Return of the Jedi the universe was liberated and the good guys won.. so what is this First Order and why do they exist? At least in Phantom Menace we see how the government starts failing.. it was very "realistic" in that regard

The sad thing is the story behind The Force Awakens is actually way more interesting than the story they depict. Apparently lots of Imperial this's and that's skipped the whole final battle deal and fled to the outer reaches of the galaxy. They found lots of supporters and fellow travelers, and became powerful enough to set up a Rump government. General Leia whatever saw this as a grave threat, while the Republic themselves thought it no big whip. So Leia used her connections/star power/royality (princess of what, exactly? Didn't her planet blow up?)/whatever to found the resistance. In the meantime the rump government became the First Order and got bigger, started building their ultimate (but truly rather useless) weapon and that leads up to the story told in The Force Awakens.

Meh, I saw the last one in theaters and I just thought it was a mere waste of time and money. I don’t believe any of the sequels will be any different.

Episodes 1-6 will never be topped no matter how hard they try.

I'm counting Rey as the Force exerting itself in order to come back to balance
Maybe, but that seems like a way to justify an otherwise poorly written movie. If the Force had the ability to outright posses people then we would have seen that hinted to elsewhere.. theoretically. It also seems counter-ethical to the Force.. if it's going to exert itself through someone isn't that impacting free will? Not to get religious, but that doesn't seem to align with the original vision

The sad thing is the story behind The Force Awakens is actually way more interesting than the story they depict. Apparently lots of Imperial this's and that's skipped the whole final battle deal and fled to the outer reaches of the galaxy. They found lots of supporters and fellow travelers, and became powerful enough to set up a Rump government. General Leia whatever saw this as a grave threat, while the Republic themselves thought it no big whip. So Leia used her connections/star power/royality (princess of what, exactly? Didn't her planet blow up?)/whatever to found the resistance. In the meantime the rump government became the First Order and got bigger, started building their ultimate (but truly rather useless) weapon and that leads up to the story told in The Force Awakens.
That makes more sense, but it would be nice then to have those details filled in.. less space battle scenes and more story. Lucas himself originally stated that this was an opera, not about spaceships

I still vividly remember being 12yrs old and seeing SW4 in a big old theatre with a huge screen and balcony. Jam packed. Beautiful summer night. It was perfect. And how did it start...The 20th Century Fox opening :) For a kid it was perfection. Then (at least for me) some how The Empire Strikes Back was even better! A movie with a major reveal and "have to see the next one" ending. Hollywood never does that. Awesome!

When we first watched SW7 (and 8 and 9) the 20th Century Fox opening is missing. It just isn't the same starting right there those first 20 seconds. Talk about irony - Disney bought it but doesn't dare start with their own corporate brand/opening (thank goodness). I bet they screened it and it didn't work.

The Mandalorian is okay but wow are they milking it. Short episodes. My advice would be to wait until they are all out and then watch them back to back over a weekend.

Not sure how many of you read SW novels. I just finished the Darth Plagius book...I really liked it. I think the best stuff after SW4 & SW5 was the really dark parts of SW3. If Disney could just let it go and find someone to tell the incredibly interesting pre SW1 stories (Sith or Jedi) it could save what has been trashed.

Having watched all of them (and later in life, as in the last five years; I never saw them 'back in the day') I can say that two were good, one was OK, and the rest were a waste of my time.

Meh, I saw the last one in theaters and I just thought it was a mere waste of time and money. I don’t believe any of the sequels will be any different.

Episodes 1-6 will never be topped no matter how hard they try.
Saw it (IX) last week with the kids (two are in their 20's and a 14yr old). I fell asleep, but that seems to happen whenever I go to the movies:D (which is rarely).
I wasn't interested in the original, until years after it came out in '77 (I was 12), but a friend of mine was crazy about it.
Revenge of the Sith is still my favorite of the series.

I've only ever seen the original Trilogy. I intend to keep it that way. Somethings are better left undone.

Hollywood has done a terrible job lately exploiting franchise names and continuing to pump out sequel after sequel. Star Wars, Star Trek, Fast and Furious, you name it. Just stop. Come up with something original.
Sci-fi is probably my favorite genre and Star Trek TOS ranks top. I'm sure it helped shape my love for electronics, computers and technology, which is what my career consist of. However, I must say, there's only one series that I've REALLY enjoyed more than the original. That is Battlestar Galactica (developed by Ronald D. Moore). God I love that series!!! The story line and characters are magnificent.
Bought it on DVD (gave them away), then again on Blu-Ray when it was released. ;)

Speaking of Star Trek. I grew up loving everything about it and my passion for aviation is almost as old as I am, but ironically it wasn't until the last decade or so that I realized that Kirk, Spock and Gene Roddenberry are all pilots.

Last edited:
Christopher Nolan should do the next three Star Wars movies. Discuss.

Back