Finally , NTSB Returned my Video

Having not seen the video and under the circumstances (it was a twin, correct? And I think you elected to pull the other to idle vs attempt to fly out of it?), I would think there might be some educational opportunity for those of us that fly twins. If you feel up to it, the Air Safety Institute (AOPA) has done some really good vids and would be worth reaching out to.

Nobody has seen it except the investigators, Gary and Mary, and anyone he may have shared it with privately.

Not a twin. Covered above.

Gary, I'd like to see it, I'm sure there are lessons to be learned from it, I don't see any shame in this accident, neither should you. But I certainly respect your decision not to share it.

As an aside I attended the Cirrus Owner's Pilot's Association Migration a few months ago and there was a talk about and by people who had survived crashes ( mostly chute pulls) and the very real issue of various stress reactions of people (pilots and passengers) after an airplane accident. It was eye opening to hear the various accounts and ways people were affected. One of the big things was other people second guessing or blaming the accident pilots, which they all said was painful to read.

COPA has set up or is setting up a support group for these pilots (and passengers). If I remember correctly it is modeled after a similar program by AOPA or the FAA. Damned if I can find the info now, but if you are interested in something like this I'll contact the guy who gave the talk and see if I can get some more info, or maybe someone here knows more about this.

You could be the next board Jerry Wagner if you posted it. (Well probably not, as I'm sure you aren't as arrogant as he).

I will never be the next Jerry, that’s not even funny. You are correct, I’m not arrogant or in response to a previous post, ego driven.

I’m a conservative pilot, instrument rated, and flying single engine aircraft.

A very good friend of mine had a piston that looked like yours after a power loss at night with an instrument student. They had just started a published missed approach and had climbed just enough that when the engine went insane with vibration and his student as he joked “chickened out” and said “your airplane”.

He only wanted to maybe make it back to the airport property because it was flat. He had barely enough energy to actually make a last second turn to align with the runway and land on it. In his words “close to dragging a wingtip”.

His just looked like someone beat on multiple pistons but the one really bad one with a ball peen hammer. Analysis was they broke a valve and pieces of it got everywhere.

It didn’t have the hole that yours does. Still amazing amounts of damage very quickly.

I will never be the next Jerry, that’s not even funny.
Sorry, not my intention to insult you. I just wanted to point out that if you did post it, even if it was exemplary, people would nit pick it to death.

Gary....looking over those pictures of the trashed engine, the only thing that could have given warning was a "visual" borescope inspection of the inside of each cylinder. I believe that exhaust valve in #3 was burning....and it would have provided warning 30-50 hrs before that event....visually. A USB camera can be had for $200-300 (Vividia Ablescope VA-400)....I have one and you or your mechanic should have one and look at the inside of each cylinder with each spark plug removal (Lycoming or TCM engines)....or at a minimum each annual. I do that on mine and all the other aircraft I help maintain.

Was someone going to pay you for the video or something?

Shy of getting 5 figures or more for sharing it, I don’t know what this is even a question. Honestly I’d be VERY reluctant of filming anything these days.

@GMascelli :

1. Merry Christmas to you too!
  2. Glad you got your camera back. I’m not sure I would’ve had the intestinal fortitude to watch the video though.
  3. If you do post it, speed it up 2x and replace all the audio with Yakety Axe (aka the Benny Hill theme song). Makes every crash video more entertaining! :D

Gary, I'd like to see it, I'm sure there are lessons to be learned from it, I don't see any shame in this accident, neither should you. But I certainly respect your decision not to share it.

Gary has nothing to be ashamed of ... but he and his wife were injured in this accident and the details of that in writing should suffice. I try to approach flying as detailed as Gary, and his accident had my complete attention for quite some time. If it was an off airport landing without injuries, it'd be one thing to post it, but letting the world see and hear everything in the cockpit AFTER knowing significant injury occurred isn't necessary.

Back