What is your birth date?

It is my understanding that one incentive to transition to Electronic Medical Records foisted on medical practices by the Obamacare or Affordable Healthcare Act was higher Medicare reimbursement rates. This has led to premature instituting of electronic record keeping when the systems just aren't ready. The most compelling reason for electronic record keeping was and is portability of health records for easy and accurate historical information, a least as far as patient care is concerned. The system currently is supremely hosed up, existing EMR software providers just can’t cross communicate worth a damn. One of the few commonalities is usage of DOB for rapid access.

It is my understanding that one incentive to transition to Electronic Medical Records foisted on medical practices by the Obamacare or Affordable Healthcare Act was higher Medicare reimbursement rates. This has led to premature instituting of electronic record keeping when the systems just aren't ready. The most compelling reason for electronic record keeping was and is portability of health records for easy and accurate historical information, a least as far as patient care is concerned. The system currently is supremely hosed up, existing EMR software providers just can’t cross communicate worth a damn. One of the few commonalities is usage of DOB for rapid access.

^^^^THIS^^^^ And no manners anymore, on top of being reduced to a number.

It used to be:

“Hello, I’m Jane Smith, here for my ten o’clock with Dr. Jones.”

“Good morning, Mrs. Smith. Have a seat, we’ll call you back in a moment.”

Now it’s:

“Hello, I’m Jane Smith, here for my ten....”

“What’s your birthday!?”

^^^^THIS^^^^ And no manners anymore, on top of being reduced to a number.

It used to be:

“Hello, I’m Jane Smith, here for my ten o’clock with Dr. Jones.”

“Good morning, Mrs. Smith. Have a seat, we’ll call you back in a moment.”

Now it’s:

“Hello, I’m Jane Smith, here for my ten....”

“What’s your birthday!?”
I once asked about this. It was during a follow-up after hip replacement. They told me it was an identity cross-check. I asked, "someone would fake going through this?" "You'd be surprised," came the answer.

But I always get a "good morning" before being asked, so yo need to find a better quality office to go to.

I once asked about this. It was during a follow-up after hip replacement. They told me it was an identity cross-check. I asked, "someone would fake going through this?" "You'd be surprised," came the answer.

But I always get a "good morning" before being asked, so yo need to find a better quality office to go to.

It seems to be infecting lots of offices, but not all. But I go for the doctor, not the front desk staff, however incompetent and rude. I understand the need for identifying. It’s the abruptness and lack of social graces these days to which I object.

It seems to be infecting lots of offices, but not all. But I go for the doctor, not the front desk staff, however incompetent and rude. I understand the need for identifying. It’s the abruptness and lack of social graces these days to which I object.
I would object to that too. I just haven't come across it.

Doesn't mean that part of Texas hasn't been invaded by damn yankee carpetbaggers more than your NC digs.

Not where I am, I don't think. A bunch a hard working 'Muricans here.

I really think Ed hit the nail. I believe the rudeness comes from office staff overwhelmed with the new electronic and privacy requirements, and maybe it hits rural small town docs the harder. Or maybe they are clannish and won't warm up to me until I've been their patient for a decade.

When asked for my birthdate, I usually ask back, ''If it is today do I win a prize.??'' And that usually brings a laugh, or at least a smile...

When I go back to where I was born and raised in Texas I can't stop on the side of the road to pee without folks pullin' over to see if I need help.

When asked for my birthdate, I usually ask back, ''If it is today do I win a prize.??'' And that usually brings a laugh, or at least a smile...

When I go back to where I was born and raised in Texas I can't stop on the side of the road to pee without folks pullin' over to see if I need help.

Oh, if somebody jogs down the street here, it gets posted on FaceBook. "Anybody know who this is?? Does he belong here?? Is he suspicious??" Not to mention every stray cat, dog, and pig. I kid you not, a pig the other day. It was someone's escaped pet.

Not where I am, I don't think. A bunch a hard working 'Muricans here.
And the Mexicans that work on a cash-only (no checks, no credit) basis... ;)

I'll stop there before this spins into banhammer territory.

And the Mexicans that work on a cash-only (no checks, no credit) basis... ;)

I'll stop there before this spins into banhammer territory.

Not here believe it or not. There were a lot of Hispanics where we lived farther west of here, and very few blacks (is it forbidden to talk about population demographics?) Here (between Houston and New Orleans) we have more blacks and few Hispanics. It’s a totally different culture. There was a lot of “Mexico” to the west, close to the border, and here, next to the LA border, it’s Cajun!

My hubby always has a problem with the next question.
Receptionist: Can you verify your address?
Hubby: Yes
Long pause
Receptionist: Can you verify your address, please?
Hubby: Yes, I can.
Receptionist: What is it?
Hubby: It? What do you mean?
Receptionist: What is your address?
Hubby: Do you want to tell my address to me and I'll verify it for you?
Receptionist: No, just tell me your address.
Hubby tells her the address.

Sounds like a micro-aggression; I'm sure there is an organization somewhere that will take up her cause if she calls it that. :rolleyes:

Oh, if somebody jogs down the street here, it gets posted on FaceBook. "Anybody know who this is?? Does he belong here?? Is he suspicious??" Not to mention every stray cat, dog, and pig. I kid you not, a pig the other day. It was someone's escaped pet.

I would get 7 different color wigs and walk my pig every day.. :lol::lol:

It is funny, when I was driving the fuel truck Dallas always seemed less friendly than Fort Worth. Houston was a really friendly town.

I am not a big city feller. The little town of Gallup, population around 25,000, is getting too big for me.

I had shoulder surgery 2 weeks ago. A few days prior, the hospital admissions office called and interrogated me. It took 15 minutes to answer all the questions.
The questions were repetitious...have you ever seen a cardiologist...yes, once on a tv show...have you ever had a heart stint installed....no....do you have any heart problems....hells no for the third time. and for the grand finale...are you sexually active....I was before I answered this phone call...needless to say. I am no longer on the nice side of the naughty or nice list. Asking my birth date is no biggie...if you ever have surgery, they ask you this every 10 minutes to make certain you are getting the proper meds, etc..Don’t sweat the small stuff...Merry Christmas to all !:)

I had shoulder surgery 2 weeks ago. A few days prior, the hospital admissions office called and interrogated me. It took 15 minutes to answer all the questions.
The questions were repetitious...have you ever seen a cardiologist...yes, once on a tv show...have you ever had a heart stint installed....no....do you have any heart problems....hells no for the third time. and for the grand finale...are you sexually active....I was before I answered this phone call...needless to say. I am no longer on the nice side of the naughty or nice list. Asking my birth date is no biggie...if you ever have surgery, they ask you this every 10 minutes to make certain you are getting the proper meds, etc..Don’t sweat the small stuff...Merry Christmas to all !:)

I got the complete interrogation trying to see a new dentist. Five pages of detailed medical history. It’s got to be liability, someone got a teeth cleaning, had a heart attack the next day and sued the dentist, no doubt.

In the old day it was just, “Are you allergic to Novocain or have mitral valve prolapse?” And you’re good to go. No more.

I got the complete interrogation trying to see a new dentist. Five pages of detailed medical history. It’s got to be liability, someone got a teeth cleaning, had a heart attack the next day and sued the dentist, no doubt.

In the old day it was just, “Are you allergic to Novocain or have mitral valve prolapse?” And you’re good to go. No more.

The last time I had my teeth cleaned...smaller version of your ordeal, then they took my BP.

Back