Finally , NTSB Returned my Video

GMascelli

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
GaryM
A final update...

I made a call to NTSB on Thursday (12/19) and once again asked about having my video camera and data card returned. Usually it’s the same answer, “I can not return the data until the final report is released”...blah , blah, blah.

This time I was told by the person in charge of our investigation that she would contact the lab and get everything sent to me. Maybe it was my prompting, 'tis the season' and all that, I really would like my equipment returned. I think it would be a nice gift. Maybe I interrupted their Christmas party
rolleyes.png

So the very next day (Friday 12/20) UPS rang the doorbell and left a package. When I read the address I was speechless. Mary and I, sitting together holding hands, viewed the accident video. Initially it made me feel sick, then I calmed down, and after multiple views I was ok with watching. I will never be comfortable with the sound of stress in our voices that day. My takeaways from viewing the video; My bride was amazing that day, I’m a very lucky man. I know Mary attributes our survival to my piloting, but, I owe our survival to her calming affect when the crap was hitting the fan. We make one hell of a team.

I am still debating if I should post the video for public viewing, really leaning towards not. I put together my Vlog type commentary before and after the crash footage. Maybe it will take some time to really digest it all, and figure out which direction to turn. For Mary and I, it’s like ripping that band-aid off all over again. As Tim Allen said on Last Man Standing, ripping a band-aid off with hair attached. Ouch!

Maybe we were both better off just wondering. My minds eye view of that day was ok to live with, we both had moved on. The reality of that day was graphic, disturbing, and painful to relive. Be careful what you wish for was the first thing that came to my mind, however it was to late, you can't unsee something.

Mary and I will continue to move forward, once again, enjoying travel by our new magic carpet. We are thankful to be here, and as my former coworker AnnaMarie so perfectly said, “You are blessed. now do good things with the rest of your life.” That sounds like a great plan.

Mary and I will be making the short flight back to Wilmington Delaware, a forty minute flight, vs a two hour drive. Spending Christmas morning with my sister and then we are off to spend the afternoon and have dinner with Mary's brothers family. I'd love to see my brother but he is in Florida, sending me temperature reports. He will be getting coal. In person or over the phone, it's good to be with family and make memories.

I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and safe and Happy New year!

I am still debating if I should post the video for public viewing, really leaning towards not.
FWIW: Having been a 3rd party observer to accident videos being posted vs not posted, my opinion is solidly with the do not post side. Once it's out there, you can never get it back and unfortunately can resurface at the most inopportune time. Glad you finally got it back.

Mary and I will continue to move forward, once again, enjoying travel by our new magic carpet. We are thankful to be here, and as my former coworker AnnaMarie so perfectly said, “You are blessed. now do good things with the rest of your life.” That sounds like a great plan.
Gary, we’re all glad you’re enjoying the new ride, and especially thankful the two of you are doing well.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday’s to you both!

Gary, very glad that you and your bride are OK. unless there is some major object lesson for all of us to learn from I see no reason to post the video.

Donna and I wish for you, your wife, your extended families and indeed everyone here on POA and their families a very Merry Christmas and a happy, safe and prosperous new year.

I think do not post it. I'm just really glad y'all are here to discuss the option. I really got active on this board after the accident, is there a link to what happened? But personally, just happy you are here to get your stuff back and continue with our airborne families.

As hinted at elsewhere the only way I would consider posting that video is as a full blown safety seminar video with solid scripting and production quality to make it very clear the intent was to show other pilots how fast SHTF when they whirling metal thing stops.

And the offer made elsewhere still stands if you’d like any production help with that.

But also as we discussed elsewhere, too soon for you and too raw.

Factual script and voice over, formal interview questions with you, graphics explaining the overview, a map with the aircraft track line, and the raw B-roll.

You get the idea. We’ve all seen them.

Something more useful to the community than “Watch me get rescued by the coast guard after I dunked my Bonanza with a massive duel system problem.”

Yeah I said that last part out loud. LOL.

Totally and completely understand if that isn’t the direction you’d want to go, also mentioned elsewhere. :)

Agree with the others. Unfortunately there are real scumbags on the internet that seem to deliberately try to hurt people with cruel comments. You don’t need that. You can always share privately with select individuals. With more time and distance you can decide to produce an educational video out of it, if you want, which would probably be less likely to attract the worst types of trolls, but I would give it a lot of time before even doing that.

Don't post it.

If it were me, I would but I would post probably up to a point talking small 2 second clips: "Here I was thinking xyz..." Here I begin to make X decision that was good or bad" and leave out the hard stuff.
That's me though. Don't post it. I don't want to see you get hurt.

Edit: Actually I don't know if I would post it. Thinking of just the analytics, it may have some value but knowing my mom or kids could see me thinking I am about to lose my life is something else.

That's not worth anything that I couldn't just describe to folks via text of a vlog like you do.

I wouldn't post it either. If you ultimately feel you want to share it but more privately you could always upload it where it requires a password, disable downloads and pull it a short time later.

I say don't post it now. Based on your initial statement, and plain old human psychology, you "relived" the accident and it brought up issues you had just started to put away, or had not even begun to process yet. That's normal. Reevaluate this in a year, or two...or ten, and see if there is something others can learn at that time and if you feel you can share it then.

Is there a thread here where you discussed the accident? I guess I missed it. Glad you are both ok.

There used to be a guy who guided groups of GA aircraft around AK. One day the engine of his Deb quit on takeoff and he tried an impossible turn. The plane was rigged with multiple go-pros and he posted the footage.

Two years later he flew a Baron into the side of a hill in IMC. Those gopro videos were never posted.

My vote is on: Dont.

Merry Christmas !

I’m with the group. Don’t post it.

Although I don’t actually know you or Mary, I’ve followed you for a while in the beech and now the Socata. I feel like I know you and was upset about the accident. Knowing about your back and Mary’s struggles and the ongoing recovery I don’t want to see that video. Too close to home and I don’t know you.

For your family and friends and you+the bride that would be terrible.

Keep it private. I’m glad you both are safe and recovering and I enjoy your videos. I hope the bride gets to a point where she can fly more often.

Merry Christmas. 2020 will be a great year for you both!!!

I very much appreciate all the responses. At least I’m feeling the same as the group, and there are many excellent points to consider.

Thanks all for weighing in, and for all the support since the accident. We are happy to be flying again and once again traveling on our terms.

I think I’ll just tuck that video away on a usb stick, toss it in a box, and keep moving forward.

Last edited:
Wow, I’m pretty new here, so I don’t know what happened, but I from the posts above, I gotta say don’t post it! I wish you and yours a very merry Christmas and safe travels!

To catch you up, Gary and his wife experienced one of the worst possible scenarios for an in flight emergency we prepare for in single engine GA, a low level engine out on takeoff. His own airplane, well maintained, etc.

He followed his training, did not become a LOTOT (loss of thrust on takeoff) mortality statistic, flew the airplane, PUSHED the nose DOWN to maintain airspeed, and picked the best possible off airport landing location he could, with the time allotted.

He and his wife received injuries, Gary’s were more severe, and spent considerable time in rehabilitation and recovery.

Then he got back on the horse, flew again, bought a new airplane, and has been enjoying it.

The return of his video footage from a camera by the NTSB has been a bit rough, as it would be for any of us.

We are all very glad he didn’t panic, or freeze, as many have, and flew the airplane, as taught. We all joke a lot in aviation that you have to fly an aircraft all the way into the accident for the highest chances at survivability as a way to drive this incredibly important point home, but only a few have dealt with really having to do it.

Gary did it right. He stayed PIC the whole time until the airplane came to stop on the ground. He probably doesn’t think it’s any great shakes, but he saved his life and his wife’s life that day. He maintained airspeed even when the trees were looming.

The video is quite a Christmas “gift” from NTSB/FAA. Documents both what he probably feels is his best and worst day as a pilot.

There may be some bits (perhaps stills, perhaps video) released by the NTSB, if they are relevant to the conclusion of the final report.
If I was in Gary's position (when I had my minor accident, it was 100% my doing) I'd only consider releasing the video if it would genuinely serve the public good—that is, prevent another accident, or at least prevent fatalities. Then it may be worth any backlash.

...I think I’ll just tuck that video away on a usb stick, toss it in a box, and keep moving forward.

:yeahthat:

Wise decision.
You've moved on and life is about anticipation and moving forward.
Remembering the past is important. Reliving it, not so much.

Gary, my suggestion is to not post the video. I think the downside would far outweigh the upside.

Just my opinion.

Merry Christmas, and be sure to enjoy it.

I agree. The counsel of your coworker: “You are blessed. now do good things with the rest of your life.” is spot on. You picked yourself up, learned lessons, have shared them with us...now, set sail and do good things.

Merry Christmas!

Has there been a determination of what caused the engine failure?

You could be the next board Jerry Wagner if you posted it. (Well probably not, as I'm sure you aren't as arrogant as he).

You could be the next board Jerry Wagner if you posted it. (Well probably not, as I'm sure you aren't as arrogant as he).

Nah. Gary isn’t a moron who can’t fly to the level of his certificates. :)

Jerry likely won’t be alive if he loses a mill on his twin.

A final update...

I made a call to NTSB on Thursday (12/19) and once again asked about having my video camera and data card returned. Usually it’s the same answer, “I can not return the data until the final report is released”...blah , blah, blah.

This time I was told by the person in charge of our investigation that she would contact the lab and get everything sent to me. Maybe it was my prompting, 'tis the season' and all that, I really would like my equipment returned. I think it would be a nice gift. Maybe I interrupted their Christmas party
rolleyes.png

So the very next day (Friday 12/20) UPS rang the doorbell and left a package. When I read the address I was speechless. Mary and I, sitting together holding hands, viewed the accident video. Initially it made me feel sick, then I calmed down, and after multiple views I was ok with watching. I will never be comfortable with the sound of stress in our voices that day. My takeaways from viewing the video; My bride was amazing that day, I’m a very lucky man. I know Mary attributes our survival to my piloting, but, I owe our survival to her calming affect when the crap was hitting the fan. We make one hell of a team.

I am still debating if I should post the video for public viewing, really leaning towards not. I put together my Vlog type commentary before and after the crash footage. Maybe it will take some time to really digest it all, and figure out which direction to turn. For Mary and I, it’s like ripping that band-aid off all over again. As Tim Allen said on Last Man Standing, ripping a band-aid off with hair attached. Ouch!

Maybe we were both better off just wondering. My minds eye view of that day was ok to live with, we both had moved on. The reality of that day was graphic, disturbing, and painful to relive. Be careful what you wish for was the first thing that came to my mind, however it was to late, you can't unsee something.

Mary and I will be making the short flight back to Wilmington Delaware, a forty minute flight, vs a two hour drive. Spending Christmas morning with my sister and then we are off to spend the afternoon and have dinner with Mary's brothers family. I'd love to see my brother but he is in Florida, sending me temperature reports. He will be getting coal. In person or over the phone, it's good to be with family and make memories.

I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and safe and Happy New year!
Glad you and Mary are doing well. Merry Christmas!

Having not seen the video and under the circumstances (it was a twin, correct? And I think you elected to pull the other to idle vs attempt to fly out of it?), I would think there might be some educational opportunity for those of us that fly twins. If you feel up to it, the Air Safety Institute (AOPA) has done some really good vids and would be worth reaching out to.

Back