Air-to-Air Piper Navajo

Lowflynjack

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jack Fleetwood
Not as many photos as I usually take because he was having issues with the plane, but we still had fun and got another shoot done for Pipers magazine.

49269397976_83e6ca9f71_b.jpg

49268950733_cd99e8c755_b.jpg

49268947798_f19b20fa3c_b.jpg

49269403936_0138b5cc4e_b.jpg

49268943343_552e901bde_b.jpg

Nice looking Navajo.
Interesting...up my way it's rare to see one without boots and hot props.

The Navajo has always been one of my favorite planes to fly. They carry an amazing load of ice, properly equipped with boots and hot props that is, and are at home on gravel strips. Nice IFR plane, and will fly loaded on one engine as long as the cowl flaps are closed.

I have only seen a few as nice looking and as clean as this one.

Last edited:
Nice looking Navajo.
Interesting...up my way it's rare to see one without boots and hot props.

I knew something was different, just couldn't put my finger on it. Can't say I've ever seen one without boots around here.

Looks so much better than then one I used to fly checks in. Loved that bird it was fun to fly.

Loved the Navajo (especially the Chieftain). Was the first BIG light twin I ever flew. Very satisfying to fly, powerful and some will do 190KTAS @ just over 60% power. We’d put near 1800lbs in the back and fly OAK-BUR. Haven’t flown one since 1986.

Great as always and even double prop discs!

These look like cover shots for that other magazine.

gary

Ameriflight class of 86 I assume. I was 88-89.

Loved the Navajo (especially the Chieftain). Was the first BIG light twin I ever flew. Very satisfying to fly, powerful and some will do 190KTAS @ just over 60% power. We’d put near 1800lbs in the back and fly OAK-BUR. Haven’t flown one since 1986.

Saw a couple dozen Amflight Navajos parked at Buckeye AZ a couple of months ago.

I almost had to reach out to them. It's really hard to find a Navajo in private hands around here. I had three people recommend one when I was looking... turned out all three people were recommending the same guy!

I there when it was called California Air Charter, in ‘83 and “84.

That is similar to the CR we flew in Alaska. I think it was a 1977 model -350. Flying it single pilot on aerial tours was a lot of lever moving since the throttles, props and cowl flaps had to be constantly adjusted for all the big power changes flying over the Ice fields and glaciers...

EDIT: I just noticed the actual airplane I mentioned is in that video! weird...

Nice photos!

Were they taken around Lake Travis?

Back