For me Christmas is starting to feel like Groundhog Day

Every year, my wife and I go for a Christmas Eve flight and look at the lights. So far, the weather has cooperated every year since I got my license. It's the only time I can get her in a plane just for fun. She'll get in to travel, but not just to "fly", not even for sunsets anymore. It's also about the only thing we're doing that's traditional this year. We're doing the keto thing, so not even any good food. :(
The thing I like most about the keto diet IS the food!

Every year, my wife and I go for a Christmas Eve flight and look at the lights. So far, the weather has cooperated every year since I got my license. It's the only time I can get her in a plane just for fun. She'll get in to travel, but not just to "fly", not even for sunsets anymore. It's also about the only thing we're doing that's traditional this year. We're doing the keto thing, so not even any good food. :(

sounds great. That is a Christmas tradition I could get behind.

I think I mentioned, but if not, my absolutely favorite thing at Christmas as a child was us three (mom dad and me) getting in the car and driving around to look at the lights in the neighborhoods around us. And by today’s standards, they were pretty basic. Still I loved it.

I can imagine nowadays with the possibilities we didn’t have in the sixties, must be amazing from up in the air!

When I moved to Norway, I was surprised at their traditions, one of which was “only white lights” instead of the colored lights we enjoyed with the large incandescent bulbs. I had a Norwegian friend invite me to a movie with him and his wife, and as the movie (can’t recall what it was) started it wasn’t a Christmas movie, but started out at Xmas time and a long shot of a small town with lots of houses with colored lights as it zoomed in on one house.

The whole audience laughed, hard. Like it was a comedy. I asked my buddy, and he said something along “you americans with all your colored lights, we think it’s funny” (I didn’t ask if he meant funny “ha-ha” or peculiar).

I still have to discuss with my wife (she’s resigned more or less to it) that yes, we DO have to also have the colored lights up on he tree. At times she pulls the plug on the multi-colored string of lights, but when she isn’t looking I plug it back in. What seems wrong to her seems right to me, and vice versa.
Also, fast forward to about a decade ago, and some Norwegians seem to have embraced the idea of American “decadence” and though it is not the majority, you drive and suddenly see a huge light show on usually at least two houses. Almost never just one, as they do the feud thing with lights too.

...and on it goes for an American in Norway. My brother in law bought a godawful “suit” with reindeer and god knows what all over it, to wear to a pre Christmas “rakkfisk” evening (literally, “rotten fish”) (and they have the nerve to make fun of us!) and when I saw a photo of it when the family was together he made a point of saying “I bought it in the US”, to which, as I always reply when Norwegians buy really junky things On trips to the US, and make that point, “yeah, but notice it was a Norwegian that was dumb enough to pay for it...we lay out traps like that all over the US”. I tell him and others “Americans don’t buy that stuff, it’s only for export!”

and with that, merry Christmas to you all, may you somehow never have to hear Mariah Carey again singing...whatever the hell that song of hers is.

I think we just have beat the holiday to death.

It pretty much starts the day after thanksgiving, much earlier if you're a retailer now. Then you have all the gift hunting which, for adults is misery since adults generally buy what they want themselves. Then there are all the semi-mandatory Christmas events that every single organization whether work, school, church, volunteer organization, or club seems to need to have now. Then for many you have to drag yourself out to whatever location the family Christmas event is.

Of course as mentioned before it's the same exact movies and music we've heard every year for our entire lives since little of that ever changes. I personally just tune as much of it out as I can.

It was much more fun as a kid but it ends up being so much work as an adult. It's not a bad little holiday but I think we just overdo it to the point it stops being as much fun. Why can't we just have our nice holiday meal with our family and have a couple days to relax at home and just have that be it?

You get it. This is what I’m saying. Joy, good will, melancholy all are feelings that need to come from within and used to in the old days at Christmas time, but because of cheapening, and commercial interests and influence, incessant and manipulative marketing, it’s gotten to be a parade of itself for me.

I am interested to know, the typical rotation here is like “Jungle bell rock”, Mariah Carey “all I want for Christmas”, “Driving home for Christmas”, a really old corny version (with whistling between the teeth solo) of “all I want for Christmas is my two front teeth”, that Irish ballad (New York...something...sounds like the guy is strung out in the beginning and then eventually into a totally cliche Irish “real”), “Santa Baby” (boom oop e do), a few actual Norwegian Xmas sings with simple melody and about ten verses, a overly sentimental song from a Norwegian artist about “I want to go home, for Christmas, let me go home again” that is actually pretty, but yeh lyrics make no sense because one wonders who the hell is stopping her, both Norwegian and American versions of “let it snow, let it snow, let it snow” etc. etc.

How much of this do you guys get peppered with?

And I have to admit, they are great at hooks. Because any one of those can invade my brain and stay with me for the better part of a day. I try the ear worm technique of playing it “all the easy through” in my mind, but it doesn’t seem to work.

I do still have affinity from my own childhood where I can remember laying under the dining room table listening to my mother and father play the radio, and hearing Bing Crosby both “little drummer boy” and even more the “silent night”. And a few other songs.

I know it seems like I’m complaining, but actually I’m really curious as to how many, how common this feeling is. I am a person of good cheer, I help others, I contribute, and I love the world, but I really have a hard time with this forced “good cheer” specially when it is very clearly marketing and money. To me most of it is the antithesis of actual good will to all, and also anti-music with gimmicky, corny music.

I can’t do anything to change it, but I do get to kind of mourn that we have come to this, and resist it, as we turn a wonderful idea into just another profit market, and certainly folk have been saying this since it became what it is now (which is surprising to most, how the “traditions” developed) and got over killed.

still, each and every one of us can save it or turn it around if we just treat it the right way. If I could just get my wife to turn off the radio now and then. We still can make a great Xmas feeling.

That’s a funny thing regarding the lights. My mom always wanted white lights only, and so I grew up with that and now like them better. But as a kid I wanted to put up colored lights (I was overruled) and now my kids want colored lights, but so does my wife, so we put up colored lights.

That’s a funny thing regarding the lights. My mom always wanted white lights only, and so I grew up with that and now like them better. But as a kid I wanted to put up colored lights (I was overruled) and now my kids want colored lights, but so does my wife, so we put up colored lights.

if that is your name, sounds French. Maybe it is a European thing, even though Norway is kind of outside, way north.

if that is your name, sounds French. Maybe it is a European thing, even though Norway is kind of outside, way north.

Although we do have a French name, we have been American for several generations. My mother likes to think she’s French, though all she really has for that is a snooty attitude towards Americans. ;)

You get it. This is what I’m saying. Joy, good will, melancholy all are feelings that need to come from within and used to in the old days at Christmas time, but because of cheapening, and commercial interests and influence, incessant and manipulative marketing, it’s gotten to be a parade of itself for me.

I am interested to know, the typical rotation here is like “Jungle bell rock”, Mariah Carey “all I want for Christmas”, “Driving home for Christmas”, a really old corny version (with whistling between the teeth solo) of “all I want for Christmas is my two front teeth”, that Irish ballad (New York...something...sounds like the guy is strung out in the beginning and then eventually into a totally cliche Irish “real”), “Santa Baby” (boom oop e do), a few actual Norwegian Xmas sings with simple melody and about ten verses, a overly sentimental song from a Norwegian artist about “I want to go home, for Christmas, let me go home again” that is actually pretty, but yeh lyrics make no sense because one wonders who the hell is stopping her, both Norwegian and American versions of “let it snow, let it snow, let it snow” etc. etc.

And I have to admit, they are great at hooks. Because any one of those can invade my brain and stay with me for the better part of a day. I try the ear worm technique of playing it “all the easy through” in my mind, but it doesn’t seem to work.

I do still have affinity from my own childhood where I can remember laying under the dining room table listening to my mother and father play the radio, and hearing Bing Crosby both “little drummer boy” and even more the “silent night”. And a few other songs.

I know it seems like I’m complaining, but actually I’m really curious as to how many, how common this feeling is. I am a person of good cheer, I help others, I contribute, and I love the world, but I really have a hard time with this forced “good cheer” specially when it is very clearly marketing and money. To me most of it is the antithesis of actual good will to all, and also anti-music with gimmicky, corny music.

I can’t do anything to change it, but I do get to kind of mourn that we have come to this, and resist it, as we turn a wonderful idea into just another profit market, and certainly folk have been saying this since it became what it is now (which is surprising to most, how the “traditions” developed) and got over killed.

still, each and every one of us can save it or turn it around if we just treat it the right way. If I could just get my wife to turn off the radio now and then. We still can make a great Xmas feeling.
When in the car, I listen to PBS. Very little music. At home, my preference, if I'm forced to listen to Christmas music, are the Manhatten Transfer, Bette Midler and Ella Fitzgerald's first Christmas albums.

Nice for you. Every year the weather craps out, except one where it was sunny but there was too much snow and ice in front of the hangar, couldn't dislodge it all.

This is a difficult time for many of us. In a few minutes I am leaving for another round of chemo therapy which will continue for the rest of my life unless there is divine intervention or a yet to be discovered cure for this type of cancer.

My hope and wish is that all of us take the time to be thankful for those who support us and add value to our lives. Also, that we show that by thought, word, and deed. It is easy to get angry and pull into ourselves but please don't. And we need to do this all year.

Yikes, so sorry you’re going through that. Weird how some cancers are completely cured by chemo and others not. My daughter had Hodgkin’s Lymphoma at age 23 and she’s ten years out from the diagnosis now, nine and a half from clean scan. They say she’s cured.

Here’s to wishing they find a cure for yours.

I’m sorry too and wish best outcome for Jon.

I’ve hesitated to mention it, in fact have never on a forum or online until now, but my wonderful granddaughter when she was around five was diagnosed with Ewing’s Sarcoma. We feared for a long time we would lose her, and she was such a sweet and wonderful child.

My wife and I were in the “inner circle” regarding her immune system when she was going through the worst of it. Her system was adjusted to us, but it meant we couldn’t be around out other grandchildren (our sons children) because they have so many things they pick up at school. I washed my hands virtually al, the time til they were raw, for fear of introducing bacteria to her, damaging her, maybe even killing her.

The one Christmas she couldn’t be here with us, and I drove up to them to be Santa. Her, our daughter, her sister, and father. I parked a ways away and changed. I had to get out the tears before I could go up the driveway. Somehow it was both incredibly sad and at the same time perfect, she lit up with joy at Santa coming, and...I don’t know, it was just really something. She has recovered, though her leg is still not totally functional (they actually removed her femur, sent it to another hospital to irradiate it, kill any life in it, and put it back, as part of the 5+ hour long operation, but result is she can’t bend it and it is shorter than the other leg). Still, that was a miracle Christmas (in retrospect) and the most profound one I’ve ever known. That she lived and is cancer free now. Thank god and everyone.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to get into that, but she is really something, and still has such an amazing attitude most of the time. A charmer and a really tough little girl. She is now twelve! She is short for her age, and hates that, but it was because of the treatment. She’s alive, and mostly happy.

Thoughts and hopes to jonvcaples.

Wow!!!! That’s an amazing treatment, as far as I knew only amputation was what they did for that. And I can’t imagine age 5. It was bad enough when ours was 23. So glad she’s doing well.

T

anyway, wish you all a merry Christmas, all of them are for us now. Even though I ***** about the music.

Merry Christmas Bob. Thanks for that story. Sometimes we forget to be thankful for what we have while we are searching and working towards what we want.

Merry Christmas Bob. Thanks for that story. Sometimes we forget to be thankful for what we have while we are searching and working towards what we want.

Thank you.
In my life nothing compares to the fear, and worry I felt for that wonderful little girl. I still worry about her, but she showed a spirit that was so inspiring, and I was literally awed by her. Whenever we worry now about her growth, or her immobility I just think “but she’s still alive” and thank the universe for that. You guys would love her I think. She shines, but also has after affects I think that sometimes put her in the cellar emotionally. But never for long.

She is my hero. I’m literally thankful most every day for her getting though that alive. Not just alive but still intact.

edit to add: I’m sorry for any confusion, I deleted my post that was being replied to out of just a feeling that though her story is amazing, it didn’t feel right to share it. Maybe partial superstition on my part even though I am not usually given to superstition.
The day after I posted, I felt it was too personal to share. I’m not sure why, it’s just a strong feeling and I’m going with it. Thanks.

Last edited:
This is a difficult time for many of us. In a few minutes I am leaving for another round of chemo therapy which will continue for the rest of my life unless there is divine intervention or a yet to be discovered cure for this type of cancer.

My hope and wish is that all of us take the time to be thankful for those who support us and add value to our lives. Also, that we show that by thought, word, and deed. It is easy to get angry and pull into ourselves but please don't. And we need to do this all year.

Jaysus, Sasquatch, that is quite the bomb post. You are a recent and a sometimes supposedly controversial poster, but I send you my prayers. Merry Christmas!

Ironically there is some scholarly opinion that Christmas was established specifically to co-opt the pagan holiday of Saturnalia, one of the highlights of which was gift giving!
Bingo!
The birth of Christ, The Messiah ("Al-Masih" in the Qur'an) was and is a secret known only to God, Mary, Joseph and the Archangel Gabriel (Jabril in Arabic) peace be with them.
Nothing wrong with celebrating his birth, however, it should be done in the spirit of the spirituality of his message (not how many gifts we give or receive), recognition of his primary mission (ending satan's rule and establishing peace on earth___yet to be seen, but he's not done) and in recognition that we can not put a birth date (December 25 or any other day) on his birth! Biblical accounts of the climate in Palestine around the time of his birth, suggest he was probably born in fall, not winter. Probably between late September and early November. Luke 2:8-12 "8 There were also in the same region shepherds living out of doors and keeping watch in the night over their flocks. 9 Suddenly Jehovah’s angel stood before them, and Jehovah’s glory gleamed around them, and they became very fearful. 10 But the angel said to them: “Do not be afraid, for look! I am declaring to you good news of a great joy that all the people will have. 11 For today there was born to you in David’s city, a savior,who is Christ the Lord.12 And this is a sign for you: You will find an infant wrapped in strips of cloth and lying in a manger.”

Happy Holidays:)

Last edited:

You really do sound like a thinking man who is in search of the "root" of things as opposed to the "rituals". Many of us do what we've been taught from birth and never research the origin of our traditions and practices. The Bible actually says that our customs are vain.
I'll point you towards the origin of another part of the whole picture. It's all rooted in pagan rituals.

This is referencing the origin of the X-mas tree (decorated with silver and gold- now lit up with electric lights as well). It was used to entice the sun, one of their gods, to return, due to it's early setting during the winter solstice (producing the shortest period of daylight). The Lord said don't do that!
I'm just a student ;)

Jeremiah 10
10 Hear ye the word which the Lord speaketh unto you, O house of Israel:
2 Thus saith the Lord, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.
3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.
4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.
5 They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.

Last edited:
Merry Christmas to all....may all your wishes come true in the New Year.

...Biblical accounts of the climate in Palestine around the time of his birth, suggest he was probably born in fall, not winter. Probably between late September and early November. Luke 2:8-12 "8 There were also in the same region shepherds living out of doors and keeping watch in the night over their flocks. 9 Suddenly Jehovah’s angel stood before them, and Jehovah’s glory gleamed around them, and they became very fearful. 10 But the angel said to them: “Do not be afraid, for look! I am declaring to you good news of a great joy that all the people will have. 11 For today there was born to you in David’s city, a savior,who is Christ the Lord.12 And this is a sign for you: You will find an infant wrapped in strips of cloth and lying in a manger.”

Happy Holidays:)

That we celebrate the arrival of Christ, the Light of the World, at the time of the winter solstice, just as the days start to become longer, somehow seems fitting.

Merry Christmas to all!

That we celebrate the arrival of Christ, the Light of the World, at the time of the winter solstice, just as the days start to become longer, somehow seems fitting.

Merry Christmas to all!
What would be more fitting is to celebrate his arrival in accordance with scripture and what HE taught. He taught us to worship God (alone)!
"Our" father as he called him. The originator of the heavens, sun, earth, planets and all in existence. Bismillah ar-Rahman ar-Rahim ("In the name of God, the Compassionate (beneficent), the Merciful").

He taught the oneness of God (as did all of the prophets_yes Christ is more than a prophet). Pagan polytheistic rituals have no place in Christ. That includes worshiping the sun and being dismayed by the signs of heaven, while incorporating the practice in with his "secret" birthday.
Peace on earth and good will to all!

By the way, I was born in October, but I'm just a student;).
I'm out:D

https://bigthink.com/culture-religion/story-of-pagan-holidays

"As Christianity took root, some pagan holidays were so popular that they were simply absorbed. The symbolism of an original celebration sometimes survived — as with Easter's rabbits and eggs — or a new meaning was superimposed over pre-existing festivities. Christmas is a good example.
Christmas has something to do with the birthday of Jesus, though the connection is not as direct as it might seem, and, in fact, may actually not have anything to do with him."

Luke 2:8

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102005162
Was Jesus Born in December?
THE Bible does not tell us when Jesus was born. However, it does give us sound reason to conclude that his birth did not take place in December.
Consider the weather conditions at that time of the year in Bethlehem, where Jesus was born. The Jewish month of Chislev (corresponding to November/December) was a month with cold and rainy weather. The month after that was Tebeth (December/January). It saw the lowest temperatures of the year, with occasional snows in the highlands. Let us see what the Bible tells us about the climate of that region.

Shepherds: A large number of sheep were regularly needed for offerings at Jerusalem’s temple, so it is quite possible that some of the sheep raised around Bethlehem were intended for this purpose.

living out of doors: The Greek expression comes from a verb that combines a·grosʹ (“field”) and au·leʹ (“place open to the air”), so the word means “to live in the fields, to live under the open sky,” and implies spending the night outdoors. Sheep may be led out to pasture during the daytime in any season of the year. However, the shepherds were spending the night out in the fields with their flocks. So this indicates the time of Jesus’ birth. The rainy season in Israel begins about mid-October and lasts several months. By December, Bethlehem, like Jerusalem, frequently experiences frost at night. The fact that Bethlehem’s shepherds were in the fields at night points to a season prior to the start of the rains.

Last edited:
Between Elfday and Christmas we try to out do each other by hosting the worst made for TV Christmas movies.
The "Star Wars Christmas Special" is not allowed as it is acknowledged to be the worst in the history of the human race.

The Mystery Science Theater 3000 version of Santa Claus vs the Devil (1959)

Religious people get so rapped up in our rituals, that we miss the message of the messenger. Once I started to think outside of the "ritual box" that I grew up in (as a Muslim), I began to dig deeper into the meaning of things and the universal oneness of it all. My eyes began to open.

The actual name Muhammad (peace be upon him) appears four times in the book that was revealed to him, through the Archangel Gabriel (Jabril).
Moses (Musa) (pbuh).. is mentioned numerous times as well as others, due to the significance of his work and God's message through him. Abraham (Ibrahim) (pbuh), known as the father of these monotheistic expressions of the same God, is mentioned all throughout as well.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophets_and_messengers_in_Islam

Peace on earth and good will towards men is our prayer, but it has yet to be established and fulfilled. That is because the work of Christ isn't complete, nor was it completed 2000 years ago on the cross!

Trivia questions: Who is the most mentioned figure in the Quran and who is the ONLY woman mentioned by name in the entire book (also with a chapter in her name_chapter-19. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryam_(surah) ) ?

Answer: Jesus and Mary (peace be upon them). All other women are mentioned as wives, daughters, sisters, believers, helpers, etc. Including the wife of Adam (pbuh). Only one actual name appears throughout the entire scripture!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_in_Islam
Mary (Arabic: مَرْيَم‎, Maryam), the mother of Isa (Jesus), holds a singularly exalted place in Islam as the only woman named in the Quran, which refers to her seventy times and explicitly identifies her as the greatest of all women, stating, with reference to the angelic salutation during the annunciation, "O Mary, God has chosen you, and purified you; He has chosen you above all the women of creation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_in_Islam
In Islam, ʿĪsā ibn Maryam (Arabic: عيسى بن مريم‎, lit. 'Jesus, son of Mary'), or Jesus, is understood to be the penultimate prophet and messenger of God (Allah) and the Christ, sent to guide the Children of Israel with a new revelation: Injīl (Arabic for "the gospel")
The significance of Jesus in Islam is reflected in his being mentioned in the Quran in 93 verses with various titles attached such as "Son of Mary" and other relational terms, mentioned directly and indirectly, over 187 times. He is thus the most mentioned person in the Quran by reference; 25 times by the name Isa, third-person 48 times, first-person 35 times, and the rest as titles and attributes.

The Quran and most hadiths (testimonial reports) mention Jesus to have been born a "pure boy" (without sin) to Mary (مريم) as the result of virginal conception, similar to the event of the Annunciation in Christianity.

Gabriel greets her with the word κεχαριτωμενη, kecharitōmenē, meaning favored or graced, presumably by God. The Textus Receptus and some ancient manuscripts add here, "Blessed are you among women". Mary does not seem to understand why she is favored, but Gabriel then tells her:
Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God. You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever; his kingdom will never end (Luke 1:30-33

Just food for thought as we celebrate his "secret" birth. ;)

Last edited:
Wow!!!! That’s an amazing treatment, as far as I knew only amputation was what they did for that. And I can’t imagine age 5. It was bad enough when ours was 23. So glad she’s doing well.

likewise for you!
I’m glad too, as I edited in another response, I just felt though it is an amazing story it felt too personal to share, it hit me after. I’m not sure why, but it is a so strong feeling I went with it.

she’s doing great and I hope the same for your daughter.
There are always lasting after affects, but I feel like we never know what they really are. Some good, some not. I will share that her and her sister used absolutely all of their birthday money, saved up over years, in one present together for their mother. And there it is for me...real Christmas. Kind of like the gift of the magi (Damon Runyon) actually. Was very moving.

Also, king of funny, I was again Santa knowing they knew, etc. and yet they demanded “it isn’t Christmas without Santa, he has to come” yet this year was the first they didn’t follow “Santa” to the door and watch him leave to go back to his reindeer. It was funny as hell, like “ok, you can go now” :) we’re done.

So I made it through. Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
Catmandu-Thanks! I don't aim to be
controversial but do enjoy a spirited conversation and try to encourage original thought.

Back