Okay, right-brainers...

timwinters

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
LTD
...I'm soooo tired of hearing about it In the news.

A new decade does NOT start in 9 days, regardless of what you believe.

The new millennium didn't start in 2000 either but that train left the station long before STEM people could get it stopped.

And this mirrors the larger issue. The news media is dominated by right-brainers. And we wonder why...

:confused::oops:

September means 7th month.
October, 8th.
November, 9th.
And December, 10th.
'splain me that.

...I'm soooo tired of hearing about it In the news.

A new decade does NOT start in 9 days, regardless of what you believe.

The new millennium didn't start in 2000 either but that train left the station long before STEM people could get it stopped.

And this mirrors the larger issue. The news media is dominated by right-brainers. And we wonder why...

:confused::oops:

That depends. When programming in Pascal or Cobol, the first element in any array was item 1, while in C# it's zero. So if you have a C# based calendar, next year is the start of a new decade.

It's totally arbitrary anyway, year 1 of the current calendar wasn't anything but the first year of that calendar, it's not like the world started on that date. In the Chinese calendar, next year will be 4717 and won't start until January 25th.

Perhaps we could just say and accept it is so? And... go on. to. more. important crises? :D

September means 7th month.
October, 8th.
November, 9th.
And December, 10th.
'splain me that.
Long ago (Roman calendar), the first month was March. That there's the 'splanation. Oh, and it wasn't only the "embers" - July was originally called Quintilis (5th month), August Sextilis (6th).

Trivia: Martius (March) originally began at the Vernal Equinox, like the Iranian calendar does today. I'm not sure when the beginning of the month was moved forward, other than it must have been before 325 A.D. when the first Council of Nicaea met. One objective of the Gregorian calendar (1582) was to move the vernal equinox back to where it had been at the time of the Nicaean Council. Lopped 10 days off the calendar. The things you can do when you're Pope! :goofy:

Last edited:
Is there a Roman numeral for zero?

From Wikipedia
The number zero does not have its own Roman numeral, but the word nulla (the Latin word meaning "none") was used by medieval scholars in lieu of 0. Dionysius Exiguus was known to use nulla alongside Roman numerals in 525.[53][54] About 725, Bede or one of his colleagues used the letter N, the initial of nullaor of nihil (the Latin word for "nothing"), in a table of epacts, all written in Roman numerals.[55]

There’s a full article on the concept of “0” on Wikipedia. It’s pretty interesting reading:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/0

it sounds like “0” wasn’t really a thing until sometime between 200BC and 500AD depending on where in the word you were.

Well I learned something new . Or maybe just had forgotten the details.

about a third the way down they get into the details, but it’s basically because there was no year zero as the calendar started on year one.
https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/decade.html

Only as afterthought though, right! I mean it never set well...knowing that when (not religious here, just saying that the accepted wisdom is) JC was born, it wasn’t as if the whole world recognized it, “okay everybody, obviously we have to redo our years until now, countdown instead of up, and by the way, we have to start now at zero, or...we’ll since we don’t have a way to call it that, let’s call it year one. So officially we are just counting from.....NOW!”

hell, it would have taken years even to get the word out “we are resting the calendar,”.

Id bet anything they continued to count UP, and at some point said “what we thought was year xxxx was actually year one a.d.”.

but seriously, anyone know how that came about.?

I’ve seen that a million times and it still totally cracks me up.

perfect comedy. God, they could even take potty humor and somehow raise it up to elegant.
Also love the part in holy grail (among others) that I also think of as perfect, with the whole “they said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp” and specially when they get to “we stay here until he leaves..” bit. idle with the perfect hiccup even. Genius.

Last edited:
Okay, now that we got that straightened out, what day on the calendar is 12th Night? :D

Only as afterthought though, right! I mean it never set well...knowing that when (not religious here, just saying that the accepted wisdom is) JC was born, it wasn’t as if the whole world recognized it, “okay everybody, obviously we have to redo our years until now, countdown instead of up, and by the way, we have to start now at zero, or...we’ll since we don’t have a way to call it that, let’s call it year one. So officially we are just counting from.....NOW!”

hell, it would have taken years even to get the word out “we are resting the calendar,”.

Id bet anything they continued to count UP, and at some point said “what we thought was year xxxx was actually year one a.d.”.

but seriously, anyone know how that came about.?
Yep. Believe it or not, the name of the person who invented the A.D. calendar has already been mentioned in this thread... Dionysius Exiguus, the guy who used nulla for zero when writing Roman numerals. I think it was in 525 A.D. that he calculated that JC was born 524 years ago. He was wrong, of course, it was somewhere between 526 and 530 years. But his calendar caught on, in large part thanks to someone else who used nulla (or N)... Bede, a.k.a. the Venerable Bede, sometime around 731 A.D.

Supposedly D.E. had another reason for calling that year 525, so that leap years in the Julian calendar would always happen in years divisible by 4. People slowly realized, of course, that every 4 years is just a tad too many leap years, so the Gregorian calendar made 3 out of every 4 century years non-leap years. That's the calendar we use today.

perfect comedy. God, they could even take potty humor and somehow raise it up to elegant.
Also love the part in holy grail (among others) that I also think of as perfect, with the whole “they said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp” and specially when they get to “we stay here until he leaves..” bit. idle with the perfect hiccup even. Genius.

“Huuuuuuge ... tracts of land!”

An oft spoken phrase in our circle of friends. LOL.

“Huuuuuuge ... tracts of land!”

An oft spoken phrase in our circle of friends. LOL.

Monty Python, I first fell totally for their comedy as a 17 year old, when they showed it on PBS in the seventies, I couldn’t believe ANYONE could be soo great!.

One insight I thought I had was, their comedy is almost always on several levels. Sometimes slapstick at the same time as deeper meaning.

That bit in “holy grail” to me is comedy genius. I’m no comedy expert and if you hate dissecting comedy stop here... I sometimes get really interested into why something is so laugh out loud funny.

Starts with the obviously disappointed father who sees his son as less than a man. So he tries inspiring him with his tale of sheer, stupid, ignorant stubbornness. “They told me I was daft, but I built it, and...it sunk, so I built another one” etc. which is the the perpetual father worried his son is wispy washy or worse. He is trying to show his son how you don’t give in, but in the act of telling him, reveals how stupid that idea is really....you have to build ten castles to get one that is stable, and it isn’t HIM doing all the work, it just so much works on so many levels.

And then it turns to the two guards, where the tough and manly lord tells yeh two idiots to not let his son leave until he gets back. For some reason (anyone else experience this?) those two guards just totally remind me of laurel and hardy. The one guard (I think Eric Idle If i recall correctly) actually has makeup to resemble Stan.
But whatever, it is classic Laurel and hardy, about “so...so..so, we don’t let anyone come in before he leaves?” “NO, NO...just keep him from leaving” and every time the father thinks they have got it, and starts to go on his way, one of them makes a small remark and it lets him no that no...they still don’t get it.

THAT must be what reminds me of Laurel and Hardy, that classic slow burn but it is the father that does the burn. Still the elements are there. To me often it boils down to they take a weirdly specific exaggerated take on something that is universal and true, and just work it.
As I watched their shows, I realized once that some of the bits (like the twit contest) were lowbrow funny but still has an edge, where other of it took me time to catch up to and enjoy, like a small throwaway bit they had about the BBC’s new fall lineup, where they had two bums as main characters, rummaging round in “bins” (which I found out were garbage cans to you and me) and pulling out champagne and roast duck...which I didn’t think so funny until later when I got that it was “written by Lord “whatever”. So a rich lord tried to write about poor people, and assumed they could just get champaign and gourmet food out of garbage cans. Because of course he did, and though it wasn’t funny hah hah...it was very clever. The sketch lasted way shorter than my description, but the idea behind lasted a very long time.

Weird thing for me, I loved their comedy so much I burnt out on it in a way. I can recall all of it that I saw, but can’t sit through it anymore. It’s like they did it so well and I paid so much attention, I got it, and am worn out for going through it again, at least now. Am I making no sense? Eh. The meaning of life? **** off!
:)

too much? Sorry, just love Month Python, or mynty pontoon....whatever they were called.

oh god...I’m a nerd. I just thought it was a healthy interest in what the hell made me love Monty Python so much, laugh so hard. Now I see, I actually am a nerd.

Last edited:
Zero (0) is the last of the ten numerals.

The decade begins the first second of the year ending in 1 (1991, 2001, 2011, 2021).

Maybe people will see things more clearly in 20-20
That reminds me...

years ago, maybe back at the false turn of the century, or maybe in 2010, I read an article titled "20 companies that won't see 2020." (or similar) I remember Sears being very high on their list but that's about the only one I remember. I've been searching for that article on the internet for a few years but haven't been able to find it. I would love to read it again to see what other companies were listed and how accurate their predictions were.

If anyone is familiar with this article, and knows where to find it, I'd be forever indebted!

That doesn't work for my younger brother or older sister, who both have their next birthday on 26 December.
Lemme guess...

...either your dad's birthday or your parent's anniversary is in late March.

:p

I have two brothers who were both born on Mother's Day, 9 months after mom's birthday. We were poor, I guess we know what mom got for her BD!

I have one brother who was born 9 months after dad's birthday. I guess we know what dad got!

have two siblings born in early/mid February, 9 months after their anniversary.

Have two siblings born in late September, 9 months after Xmas/New Years.

I was born 9 months after-well-ummm-nothing special! Well, unless I was a week late. That would make me 9 months after Valentine's Day.

:cool:

Seems simple, If one starts a multi year task one starts on day one of year one.

I don’t think this thread went where @timwinters expected it to go. LOL.

Or maybe he knew we’d wander off into the weeds like we always do. :)

Who’s going to be first to wish Tim a happy new decade on Jan 1?? Heheheee.

Back