Do you take video of your flights?

Will Kumley

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Will
Just curious how many take videos of their flights and if you ever look back on them? If the weather cooperates this weekend I should have my checkride. But in all honesty the weather cooperating is unlikely. During my training I would video my flights so I could review the flight later and see how I could have improved. Once I get my certificate I'm not sure I'll care to review the footage later unless its something the wife and kids want to see but they may just say no thanks as they would have been on the flight. Removing the gopro knockoff from my bag would be one less thing to bring along. But if flight videos could be easily edited to be interesting I might consider it. Right now I have a gopro knockoff which doesn't have an audio input so audio is recorded separately. I can merge the two in a free program but it won't save in a format that can be viewed naturally by itself so playing them back is a real pain.

Oh, and I don't plan to record my checkride when it does happen as I'm not sure the DPE will be okay with it and I really don't need to worry about setting up a camera and audio recorder when my brain will be focused and likely fried from the checkride itself.

I did a couple times in the early 90s shortly after I got my private ticket. I never have in the GoPro era though, and I don't feel like I'm missing out on much.

That said, if you feel like recording your flights, go for it. If you enjoy rewatching, continue. If not, don't bother.

Yes, I always take videos and pictures, but I rarely ever look back at them. I do have a Google photo album where I keep the best pictures

I'm with Ryanb on this one. Nope. For the same reason I never bought a DVR of a movie I just watched....

-Skip

I used to when I first started flying back in the 90s. I bought a cheap compact HD cam a few years back hoping to start back up but haven’t done it. There’s so much footage on YT already I guess I just don’t see the point.

Most flying is hopefully boring. Unique landmark or sunrise/sunset pictures the exception. I would definitely not bother with video of your checkride.

In any case do what you enjoy doing. I know a fellow that has something like 5 cameras mounted on flights, internally and externally. But he works as a professional in video editing so it’s more than a hobby.

Nope. Don’t want to invest the $$ in the equipment, the time learning how to use it and then editing to make sense. If I am flying with a pax, phone camera seems to work ok.

I barely take the time to record track days on the motorcycle.

When I am getting to the plane I’m wanting to be somewhere, and it doesn’t bode well for spending time setting up cameras, charging cameras, and suction cup mounts all over.

Only when I need a vanity shot...
f91986b49c9b595b15ec5ed40789bd79.jpg

Every flight but is pretty much almost automatic - plug the camera, turn it on - that’s it - kind of like a dashcam in a car.
It is mostly for my own flight reviewing purpose in case something interesting happens, perhaps reviewing my reactions etc

No video. I rarely watch others' posted videos either. Most flying is boring. How many times can you watch an approach and landing? Even watching sandbar landings grew boring after a while.

However, I do take photos from the air.

I have a couple in case someone asks. I took one with it mounted on the belly, mostly to check out the landing gear in action...my favorite as most videos are from the inside.
I check out others videos when I can’t fly and have got the itch.

Tom

Tried once.
GoPro "suction cup" thingy in cockpit would fall off after about 10 minutes. Too lazy/cheap to figure out a better solution.
Audio is a pain to record, since it had to be recorded separately, which means more devices and cables. To lazy/cheap to figure out a better solution.
GoPro attachment under the wing worked well, but battery dies after about an hour so cannot capture a landing (the most interesting part) after too long a flight. Too lazy/cheap to figure out a better solution.
Lost the little screw that holds the GoPro in its underwing attachment piece. To lazy/cheap to acquire replacement.
Gave up.
Now I just take pictures. The camera was making me self-conscious anyway.

Every flight but is pretty much almost automatic - plug the camera, turn it on - that’s it - kind of like a dashcam in a car.
It is mostly for my own flight reviewing purpose in case something interesting happens, perhaps reviewing my reactions etc
And for the NTSB to use in its investigation! ;)

Thanks for all the feedback. Right now I press the record button on the camera and voice recorder separately. Place the voice recorder in my bag and mount the camera using a standard gopro style mount in the overhead then forget about it until I land. Takes all of maybe 3 seconds before each flight. As I have yet to find an easy to use free video editing program most of my time investment is at the house while attempting to merge the video and audio files. I swear, the voice recorder doesn't playback in real time as I can get the video synced up in the beginning but by the end there is usually a 1-2 second lag which drives me nuts. Add in the fact that I'd like to speed up the video during the more boring sections and the video/sound lag annoys me even more as the program I use will speed up the video but not the sound so now there is a whole new ball of confusing wax. I do like the videos as a way to review my flights and see where I can improve but I also don't want it to consume my life as I stitch the files together. The camera will only record about a 25 minute timeblock now before saving it and creating a new file.

Thanks for all the feedback. Right now I press the record button on the camera and voice recorder separately. Place the voice recorder in my bag and mount the camera using a standard gopro style mount in the overhead then forget about it until I land. Takes all of maybe 3 seconds before each flight. As I have yet to find an easy to use free video editing program most of my time investment is at the house while attempting to merge the video and audio files. I swear, the voice recorder doesn't playback in real time as I can get the video synced up in the beginning but by the end there is usually a 1-2 second lag which drives me nuts. Add in the fact that I'd like to speed up the video during the more boring sections and the video/sound lag annoys me even more as the program I use will speed up the video but not the sound so now there is a whole new ball of confusing wax. I do like the videos as a way to review my flights and see where I can improve but I also don't want it to consume my life as I stitch the files together. The camera will only record about a 25 minute timeblock now before saving it and creating a new file.

I just use a cord that plugs into the GoPro and headset jacks. Don't have to worry about syncing as it records on the video. If you want engine noise in your video too though, you need another camera. Using the cord cuts out all outside noise. Only records what comes through the radio.

I just use a cord that plugs into the GoPro and headset jacks. Don't have to worry about syncing as it records on the video. If you want engine noise in your video too though, you need another camera. Using the cord cuts out all outside noise. Only records what comes through the radio.
my camera doesn't have a mic input. Maybe I should upgrade.

Nope, don’t need to give the FAA ammunition if something ever happens.

I've used a belly cam and dash cam when practicing for my PPL. It was helpful for later flight review lesson review. The set-up I had was copied from a local CFI who uses this as a training tool.

I often fly with a GoPro in the cockpit.
I will post edited videos for my grand kids to watch. The get a kick out of them.
I also review the flights to grade my technique. Seriously. If I don't like something I do, I'll go back and practice it the next time I fly.
The camera catches every sloppy maneuver.

I've used a belly cam and dash cam when practicing for my PPL. It was helpful for later flight review lesson review. The set-up I had was copied from a local CFI who uses this as a training tool.

That’s a real nice setup. Out of curiosity, how much time is spent after the flight editing?

I video my flights, it helps in reviewing radio work and my flying. I enjoy having a record of my flights, and it ties into my blog posts.

On the flip side...

I finally received my video equipment back from NTSB from our accident in June 2018. I had been anxious to see it, to help piece the event together. My bride and I viewed it, together. Now I wish I just let my memory of that day be enough. The actual footage was a bit graphic and the physical injuries somewhat painful to watch, despite knowing the outcome and we are both still here. The audio is what upset me the most, hearing the stress and intensity in our voices was disturbing.

FF445289-D21C-4C13-BDD1-096A296C5D3C.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't video every flight, but if I plan to make a video i go out and do fun flying that would be interesting to someone.

I was videoing quite a few flights (mostly just time lapse stuff) but then management caught wind of it and I got my peepee slapped. If I ever get my own plane again I will most certainly be videoing flights.

I was videoing quite a few flights (mostly just time lapse stuff) but then management caught wind of it and I got my peepee slapped. If I ever get my own plane again I will most certainly be videoing flights.

Yeah, I’m surprised SteveO gets away videoing his flights which are all in his employer’s planes.

Tom

That’s a real nice setup. Out of curiosity, how much time is spent after the flight editing?

This particular video wasn't mine, but I've made several like it. Very little editing, I probably spent an hour combining the videos and syncing them up in iMovie. If I were to post them, probably edit down to the good parts takes another 2-3 hours. But the vids for my own use, really about an hour or less. iMovie makes it super easy. I've edited short movies on my iPhone with iMovie in 15 mins.

All you are doing is providing the stone cold evidence for the FAA to name you as the probable cause and for the plaintiff's attorney to win the case by simply showing the court the video and making a motion for summary judgement.

All you are doing is providing the stone cold evidence for the FAA to name you as the probable cause and for the plaintiff's attorney to win the case by simply showing the court the video and making a motion for summary judgement.

I thought all plane crashes were due to pilot error anyway.

For a fifteen minute video using maybe one to two hours of flying video takes me a few hours to edit. Then you have a thumbnail to create and maybe add additional pictures.

Back