I had heard of it but never actually heard it... "Meow"

At least where I fly, which is mostly the Rockies, I hear it on 121.5 all the time. My deepest thanks for trying to do something about it.

This wasn't even on guard. It was on an already over saturated CTAF.
It isn't even remotely funny. Or I am too old to get the humor.

I used to fly to a place called Atmautluak, but on the radio it was generally referred to as At-Mao (second part pronounced like Chairman Mao, because unless you can speak Yupik it's impossible to actually pronounce) and at some point it further devolved into At-Meow, and eventually it just became Meow - "Downwind landing South Meow" "Final landing South Meow" "Departing North Meow". Eventually standard radio protocol became that when one called it "Meow" on the radio, everyone else on frequency was obligated to meow with the most obnoxious meows possible. This wasn't one of two people either, this was 10-15 airplanes on the same frequency all meowing at each other. I even had a podium finish during the Meow contest at one of the crew houses on a Saturday night with my beautiful rendition of "Cat in heat Meow", but I was beat out by the "Fat depressed cat meow" and the "Sexy Meow" performed with gusto by the only girl pilot who participated in our degenerate shenanigans.

I often wonder what our passengers thought about it, because when you have one in the front seat with you it's impossible for them not to know you are making cat noises. I assume they just probably assumed all the poor gussack pilots (white people) had gone insane.

So yes, pilots do meow on the radio.

Last edited:
I used to monitor guard all the time. Y'know, for safety. Report the occasional ELT, listen to AWACS warning people away from presidential TFRs, and even hear an occasional emergency - Even military!

Now, guard is so messed up with meows and guard police it's damn near useless. I even heard a plane with an actual emergency who made a benign-sounding radio call to ATC only to be jumped on by the guard police. Once everyone stopped saying "GUAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRD!" he said "I'M ON FIRE!"

So, whatever you do, don't be the ******* on guard. STFU.

I used to fly to a place called Atmautluak, but on the radio it was generally referred to as At-Mao (second part pronounced like Chairman Mao, because unless you can speak Yupik it's impossible to actually pronounce) and at some point it further devolved into At-Meow, and eventually it just became Meow - "Downwind landing South Meow" "Final landing South Meow" "Departing North Meow". Eventually standard radio protocol became that when one called it "Meow" on the radio, everyone else on frequency was obligated to meow with the most obnoxious meows possible. This wasn't one of two people either, this was 10-15 airplanes on the same frequency all meowing at each other. I even had a podium finish during the Meow contest at one of the crew houses on a Saturday night with my beautiful rendition of "Cat in heat Meow", but I was beat out by the "Fat depressed cat meow" and the "Sexy Meow" performed with gusto by the only girl pilot who participated in our degenerate shenanigans.

I often wonder what our passengers thought about it, because when you have one in the front seat with you it's impossible for them not to know you are making cat noises. I assume they just probably assumed all the poor gussack pilots (white people) had gone insane.

In this one case radio meows are funny and approved. In all other cases they are not funny and banned.

Nice to see the Bethel area hasn't changed in over 20 years... :lol::lol:

Now, guard is so messed up with meows and guard police it's damn near useless. I even heard a plane with an actual emergency who made a benign-sounding radio call to ATC only to be jumped on by the guard police. Once everyone stopped saying "GUAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRD!" he said "I'M ON FIRE!"

I heard an actual emergency one day as well with the Geeeeaaaaard police chiming in. Really unbelievable. For those of us that take the requirement to monitor guard seriously, sure is a nuisance.

Agree fully with what Kent said.

I still monitor guard, but anyone who meows on guard is a ****ing idiot. Period.

I started monitoring guard more diligently when I heard about this. Woke my wife up somewhere over northern KY because I was so excited when I finally heard a meow.

I monitor it if I’m bored. Heard it for the first time a few weeks ago. Not gonna lie, I chuckled a little. I wouldn’t do it my self and would give anyone I knew did it a retard look.

I must live a sheltered life. Always monitor 121.5 when on an XC and never have heard a meow or anything close to it. Anyone else in the PNW heard meow on Guard?

I must live a sheltered life. Always monitor 121.5 when on an XC and never have heard a meow or anything close to it. Anyone else in the PNW heard meow on Guard?
I haven't heard it either. Maybe it's an eastern half of the country thing.

Last edited:
"Meow" doesn't hold a candle to the amount of score requests during the world series and the super bowl, and these by "professional" pilots.

<----- required to listen to guard - both of them.

Never heard of this. Agree 100% that it’s stupid. Millennial boys seem to think that it’s ok for men to have cats. Those same boys wear excessively tight pants and talk with high-pitched voices. Soooo...

Just in case anybody isn't aware, monitoring guard, if capable, is required by FDC notam.

FDC 4/4386 SPECIAL NOTICE NATIONAL AIRSPACE SYSTEM INTERCEPT PROCEDURES. AVIATORS SHALL REVIEW THE FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION AERONAUTICAL INFORMATION MANUAL (AIM) FOR INTERCEPTION PROCEDURES, CHAPTER 5, SECTION 6, PARAGRAPH 5-6-2. ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATING IN UNITED STATES NATIONAL AIRSPACE, IF CAPABLE, SHALL MAINTAIN A LISTENING WATCH ON VHF GUARD 121.5 OR UHF 243.0. IF AN AIRCRAFT IS INTERCEPTED BY U.S. MILITARY AIRCRAFT AND FLARES ARE DISPENSED, THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURES ARE TO BE FOLLOWED: FOLLOW THE INTERCEPT'S VISUAL SIGNALS, CONTACT AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL IMMEDIATELY ON THE LOCAL FREQUENCY OR ON VHF GUARD 121.5 OR UHF GUARD 243.0, AND COMPLY WITH THE INSTRUCTIONS GIVEN BY THE INTERCEPTING AIRCRAFT INCLUDING VISUAL SIGNALS IF UNABLE RADIO CONTACT. BE ADVISED THAT NONCOMPLIANCE MAY RESULT IN THE USE OF FORCE. WIE UNTIL UFN

Seriously???

I've been flying for 25 years, and I've never heard that, until, TODAY! I must have heard it 10 times on 121.5 today. Maybe your post, and your attempt to curtail this, has started something / had the opposite effect.

Say whaaaat? I've never heard that this was "a thing." Maybe I need to monitor Guard some more, but had never heard of this before!

Someone meowed at us on CTAF today... we were like :sosp::loco::dunno::rolleyes1:

Up at altitude you hear all that mess alot more than when I'm bugsmashing.
On washington center I heard the opening of "almost heaven west virginia" Its popular to troll delta. "did you run the QRH" (making fun of delta pilots input during brickyards runaway trim in ATL.)

Whenever ish goes down though guard usually is 110% professional.

I don't care for constant banter. Though I do chuckle sometimes after an hour of silence when someone insults delta.

I heard some late at night on an xc. A couple meows then a sarcastic ‘identify yourselves, on guard’.

121.5.... AKA, Delta Common

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yes, you should.

As Larry pointed out...

“ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATING IN UNITED STATES NATIONAL AIRSPACE, IF CAPABLE, SHALL MAINTAIN A LISTENING WATCH ON VHF GUARD 121.5 OR UHF 243.0.”

This gets my vote for the most ignored regulation.

Tom

Over Europe this is a thing on guard as well... "funny" phone sounds, farts, animal sounds... Never heard this on CTAF freqs. Listening to the background sounds and the powerfull modulation, these has to be airliner pilots.

This gets my vote for the most ignored regulation.

Certainly well up there.

I cover it on Flight Reviews and it seems like a fair number of pilots are simply unaware.

And it seems some are aware but are exhibiting an “Anti-Authority” bent. “Can’t tell me what to do!” Seems silly when it’s just so easy to just do it. Several reasons to do it beside the requirement. One is selfish: in a real, sudden emergency, having the emergency frequency a button push away can be a godsend. Fine motor skills are often the first to go, and fumbling with the radio to change frequency can be quite distracting from the emergency at hand. Having ATC or another pilot know where you’re going down could be the difference between a response time measured in hours or one measured in days - or a lot more.

Last edited:
Is there less nonsense on 243.0?

Nothing like meows. Usually ELT going off because some maintenance guy forgot to disable it when they removed the seat of an A-10. Or the guy who thinks he's talking to ground control and even after he's been told that he is transmitting on an emergency frequency, he still asks for tow approval.

Reading about the old days, seems like they were a lot more grown up than now.
Seems like (maybe I’m wrong) they had a lot more feel for the brotherhood of flight.
Also respect for protocol, for the incremental ratcheting of the general awareness of good procedures. As they learned what was detrimental they tried to pass on what was learned (even if later some things were proven wrong, they seemed to be committed to best practices no matter if it went against pet theories)

it’s one of the things that I always have liked about GA, and aviation in general. That we had respect for time tested procedures and ways. That we stood on the shoulders of those that came before and for their experience. That is severely lacking nowadays in my opinion of virtually every important aspect. This idea that we learn from mistakes and fix the problem as best we can. I naively thought that aviation was an exception, but se now it is limited...to those of us who do appreciate it.

This thing seems like children farting in church. Giggling, and moronic.

Back