Which lesson(s) were you asked to teach at your CFI-Initial?

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Flying from the right seat... getting the hang of it.

Being in front of a white board trying to impart aviation knowledge clearly and succinctly? Still working on clear handwriting and not stumbling over my tongue.

This bit of the prep is challenging, fun, and valuable. And it got me wondering....

Which lessons were you asked to teach during your CFI Initial exam?

Please list and after a while, I'll tally everything and see if what has been popular amongst the examiners.

Teach someone who’s never seen the oil cap on their car how a constant speed propellor works from cockpit handle to propellor blade. Whiteboard only.

Teach someone who’s never seen the oil cap on their car how a constant speed propellor works from cockpit handle to propellor blade. Whiteboard only.

Did you leave the test to find a person who had never seen the oil cap on their car first?

Did you leave the test to find a person who had never seen the oil cap on their car first?

We get students from Boulder occasionally. LOL.

(I joke but that was exactly what the DPE said. I lost it laughing.)

Look at the PTS. Examiner must select at least one maneuver Task from Areas of Operation VII through XIII, and ask the applicant to present a preflight lesson on the selected maneuver as the lesson would be taught to a student.

Mine was in a glider. The FAA inspector did my evaluation from the ground and didn't actually fly with me, so I had an empty seat in the Schweizer 2-33 for the check ride. After he watched my "lesson" he asked me to take his 12 year old son up for my first student, which I did.

Those were the good "old" days . . .

That was in the 1970s. I don't think that will happen now. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
My answers the same as a week ago :)

Teach them all before you get to the Oral, so that you are good at it....

Otherwise, mine was steep turns, airspace, and some aerodynamics, etc.... I think... Its been a while.

Man I forgot what we started in, he (FAA) ended up touching on most everything. You should already know all this stuff as a CPL, minus FOI which he didn’t hit too hard actually, it’s just a matter of teaching it and breaking it down to the most simple pieces. This is NOT a ride where just memorizing lesson plans or facts is going to work.

Things I remember,

He’s tried to stump me on airspace, I gave the correct answer and he tried to get me to change my mind “you sure about that???”

Asked if a wooden board could be a wing and explain why or why not.

Look at the PTS. Examiner must select at least one maneuver Task from Areas of Operation VII through XIII, and ask the applicant to present a preflight lesson on the selected maneuver as the lesson would be taught to a student.
I know that, Clipton Obvious four. But that's not the question.

I was curious about what happened to others in their examinations.

I know that, Clipton Obvious four. But that's not the question.

I was curious about what happened to others in their examinations.

You obviously don’t know that Wannabe CFI Can’t Remember Much Mike,

READ

FORWARD
The Flight Instructor—Airplane Practical Test Standards book has been published by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to establish the standards for the flight instructor certification practical tests for the airplane category and the single-engine and multiengine classes. FAA inspectors and designated pilot examiners shall conduct practical tests in compliance with these standards. Flight instructors and applicants should find these standards helpful in practical test preparation.

6/29/2012
/s/ Leslie Smith for
John Allen, Director Flight Standards Service

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

IV. Preflight Lesson on a Maneuver to be Performed in Flight

Note: Examiner must select at least one maneuver Task from Areas of Operation VII through XIII, and ask the applicant to present a preflight lesson on the selected maneuver as the lesson would be taught to a student.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-
Rather than running around like a chicken with you head cut off (explains the memory issues), focus on the known. There is plenty to keep you busy.

Well, one item became clearer.

FAA-S-ACS-9 the new instructor ACS will be in effect when you finish your CFI training.

Be well prepared for tasks included for the preflight lesson.

Last edited:
FOI stuff, steep turns, 8s on pylons, electrical system, airspace, and maybe one other. I don’t remember exactly but I’m pretty sure I had to teach these.

FAA-S-ACS-9 the new instructor ACS will be in effect when you finish your CFI training.

Be well prepared for tasks included for the preflight lesson.
Thanks for pointing out the new ACS is coming on line.

I'm looking forward to the Flight Instructor ACS. I've just started conducting practical tests for flight instructors (add-on only, no initials.) Going back into the PTS after being immersed in the ACS since receiving my appointment was interesting; I've come to appreciate the ACS' organization and coordination of risk management, knowledge and skills within tasks. The Flight Instructor ACS should be a nice improvement upon the PTS, just as it was for pilot certificates and ratings.

Wanted me to teach Eights on Pylons. Said, "and I'm timing you." Go through my white board, draw exactly like I'd done for my notes, dashed lines, smooth arcs, notes at each turn point, etc. Probably took 10 minutes. Finish, he goes, "not bad, now let me show you how to do that in 30 seconds." Does it. I'm dumbfounded. He does a mic drop.

Back