Other countries other than USA

O

Over seas

I am I us citzen that does not qualify for a USA medical certificate (Hydrocephalus), what would be my chances of going somewhere else to get flight training (Mexico, Canada, Costa Rica)

Is your intention to fly in the USA?
You cannot fly an 'N' registered airplane in the USA if you do not have either a US licence or a US endorsement on your foreign pilot licence.

I am I us citzen that does not qualify for a USA medical certificate (Hydrocephalus), what would be my chances of going somewhere else to get flight training (Mexico, Canada, Costa Rica)
You would still need a medical certificate in that country and you would not qualify there either.

You could fly ultralights or gliders, including motor-gliders. None of them requires a medical.

You could fly ultralights or gliders, including motor-gliders. None of them requires a medical.

I tried that route, instructors I talked to said that since I don’t qualify, I have reason to know of a medical condition, plus one said, yes even though no medical was required, they were not going to risk anything with me since I was using their equipment

Who told you it is a hard no for hydro? A close relative has had hydro since birth and we asked the FAA medical folks at OSH about flying once old enough. He said there are pilots with hydro flying with a first class medical. So it can be done. I’ll be curious to see Dr Bruce’s input.

Last edited:
instructors I talked to said that since I don’t qualify, I have reason to know of a medical condition
Yes, people like to invent regulations to support their own opinion.

You need to meet the requirements of a medical if you are flying with a medical.
You need to be able to safely act as PIC if you are flying without a medical - e.g. sport pilot.
The requirements are different.

I assume your own doctor has no problem with you taking on risky tasks like driving a car.

Ok, this begs a question from me. Tell me about your Hydrocephalus. Is it untreated? Treated? How? Present tense or past tense? I know for a fact that pilots who have had Hydrocephalus in the past and have been successfully treated have gotten medicals and are currently flying. One with a major airline.

I tried that route, instructors I talked to said that since I don’t qualify, I have reason to know of a medical condition, plus one said, yes even though no medical was required, they were not going to risk anything with me since I was using their equipment

Yes, you do know you have a medical condition, but you should consult your private physician to determine whether you have a medical deficiency that would interfere with the safe performance of sport piloting duties.

Then keep your mouth shut and go learn to fly.

Who told you it is a hard no for hydro? A close relative has had hydro since birth and we asked the FAA medical folks at OSH about flying once old enough. He said there are pilots with hydro flying with a first class medical. So it can be done. I’ll be curious to see Dr Bruce’s input.

Me too. I’ve seen a hydro that was vegetative in a nursing facility and I know a girl with it who is perfectly normal, has a shunt and gets followed with annual MRIs, I’m sure there is everything in between.

OP, you say in your first post you “don’t qualify” for medical certification. How do you know? Did you apply with the FAA and get denied? Or are you basing this on what some instructors told you?

If you have never been denied the sport pilot is still an option. If you have never applied we strongly recommend that you don’t until you consult first with one of the doctors here. You will want to know the likely outcome and avoid a denial.

What is your goal? You can get dual flight training without a medical. You can't solo. With an airplane with dual controls, you can continue flying with a certified, appropriately rated & current pilot in the right seat (if you find one willing). The certified pilot will be the PIC and the flight will be on his ticket. You won't be able to log any of the time, but you will get the fulfillment and achievement that you learned to fly. If you work out getting a medical later, finishing up your requirements for a license should be easy.

if there are no physical, mental or neurocognitive defects of note, a issuance or special issuance may be possible.

What is your goal? You can get dual flight training without a medical. You can't solo. With an airplane with dual controls, you can continue flying with a certified, appropriately rated & current pilot in the right seat (if you find one willing). The certified pilot will be the PIC and the flight will be on his ticket. You won't be able to log any of the time, but you will get the fulfillment and achievement that you learned to fly. If you work out getting a medical later, finishing up your requirements for a license should be easy.

For all that trouble, he might as well get a Sport ticket. That would let him carry a passenger and fly anywhere in the US or the Bahamas. Daytime VFR only, and he'd be limited to light sport planes, but that's not much of a limitation.

So would I have to go through the Cog Screen to prove no cognitive defects?
it depends.

For example, if there is a current active shunt in place that needs to function, this is very unlikely to be approved.

If no prosthetic device is required (remember, an internal shunt, active, is such a device) then you may have a change with the full neurocognitive battery.

it depends.

For example, if there is a current active shunt in place that needs to function, this is very unlikely to be approved.

If no prosthetic device is required (remember, an internal shunt, active, is such a device) then you may have a chance with the full neurocognitive battery.

I think chance is what you meant. So would this require an SI? And if so then once got, he could go to Basic Med?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back