Top Gun 2

Peter Ha

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Leadpan
Hey folks,
I'm guessing when this movie comes out, more people be flocking to flying schools?
I'm going to see it, cause you know... for airplanes. :cool:

“For me, Top Gun is about competition, it is about family, sacrifice, heroism, aviation. It’s a love letter to aviation.” -Tom Cruise 2019 Comic-Con

Last edited:
looks like it's got the bar scene, the funeral scene, the canopy to canopy scene, the volleyball scene.... yep, pretty sure I've seen it already based on that preview.....

The current CEO and President of the Institute of Nuclear Power Operators Admiral (Ret.) Robert (Bob) Willard (call sign “Rat”) was a technical and script consultant and one of the aggressor pilots on the first Top Gun. He used to have a lot of “sea stories” about the movie, how it was made, the Navy’s brass interest in getting it made and Tom Cruise when I was in meetings with him. IIRC, he said Cruise worked hard in role and took a lot of ribbing from “real Navy pilot”) that he got from time to time pretty well but was alway gracious to those same pilots. As some know, Cruise is a pilot and still does a lot of his own stunts. Sometimes that’s not enough to overcome a lousy script and it would seem, based on the trailer, lousy scripts. Probably will wait till it comes out on Redbox or Netflix’s.

Will I see it opening day- absolutely
Will is pale in comparison to the OG- absolutely
Will I care about it sucking -absolutely not.

Keep in mind this movie came out when I was 10 years old. It was awesome. The score evokes emotion whenever heard no matter what context. It was one of Jerry Bruckheimer’s early great hits.

The second will heavily borrow of the OG one and will likely be blockbuster hit of the summer

Hey folks,
I'm guessing when this movie comes out, more people be flocking to flying schools?

Don't think the original did all that much for civilian flying school enrolment. But it sure boosted Navy and other military forces recruiting. A lot.

I think I'll hit the brakes and let this one fly right by.
Actually, if you view the trailer, you'll see Maverick do a Pugachev Cobra maneuver in an F/A-18....didn't need to hit the brakes.

Ron Wanttaja

looks like it's got the bar scene, the funeral scene, the canopy to canopy scene, the volleyball scene.... yep, pretty sure I've seen it already based on that preview.....

Tried and true formula....see Terminator movies.

Tom

I've heard from multiple people that he is a very studious and competent pilot. The instructors at the HondaJet schoolhouse said he took everything very seriously, and also attended the maintenance course for the aircraft as well.

I haven't been to the movies in years but you can bet your hind end I will be going for this! Yes it's corny and not realistic, but it's still cool!

^^^ what he said. I haven’t been to a theater in a over decade, but I’m excited to go see this one.

I also am a never go to the theater kind of guy. Yet last week I went to see Ford vs Ferrari. And I'm definitely going to see TG-M.

Going to see it, going to take the kids, and going to completely ignore the dialog.

Going to see it, going to take the kids, and going to completely ignore the dialog.

I suggest an IMAX theater for this one.
TG was the first movie to play if you had a nice surround sound setup....the jet noise was awesome with a subwoofer.

Tom

These days one can install a theater projector in the house. We just put one in the vacation cabin we built complete with 110 inch screen, 3d capable...

I don’t know, the more I watch this, the more it looks like Pensacola Wings of Gold for the big screen. :(

These days one can install a theater projector in the house. We just put one in the vacation cabin we built complete with 110 inch screen, 3d capable...

Don’t forget the sound system...

Tom

The current CEO and President of the Institute of Nuclear Power Operators Admiral (Ret.) Robert (Bob) Willard (call sign “Rat”) was a technical and script consultant and one of the aggressor pilots on the first Top Gun. He used to have a lot of “sea stories” about the movie, how it was made, the Navy’s brass interest in getting it made and Tom Cruise when I was in meetings with him. IIRC, he said Cruise worked hard in role and took a lot of ribbing from “real Navy pilot”) that he got from time to time pretty well but was alway gracious to those same pilots. As some know, Cruise is a pilot and still does a lot of his own stunts. Sometimes that’s not enough to overcome a lousy script and it would seem, based on the trailer, lousy scripts. Probably will wait till it comes out on Redbox or Netflix’s.

Buddy of mine/former squadron matte who was a TOPGUN IP at the time of filming ended up flying Tom back from Fallon to his P-51 in socal in the back of an F/A-18F one afternoon. Said the guy was pretty classy, and good to talk to. I think if nothing else, it is clear that he loves aviation.

It' s strange that Tom Cruise never comes to Oshkosh or as far as I know none of the other airshow or fly ins or aviation gatherings. And he has had that Mustang for a decade or more. I have heard, not verified in any way that he flew it into Santa Paula which is not a long strip. I have seen one 51 land there but not many. I live near Boulder, and its 4100 ft at 5300 ft elevation and I ve never seen a 51 come in there. though I am told Bob Hoover used to.

If you want to be a first class pilot it takes willingness, time and money. There are plenty of good. experienced teachers out there, for a 51 or most anything, and if you are willing to listen and accept and practice what they say you can do it. You can imagine that getting say 20hours in a 51is going to be like buying a small car but Im sure he can afford it.

It's strange that Tom Cruise never comes to Oshkosh or as far as I know none of the other airshow or fly ins or aviation gatherings.

DPE who did my PPL/Inst got a call to do a check ride (comm helo) for him and said he was very pleasant and respectful. Cruise showing up at the airport would have been a bit of a zoo so they did the oral at the DPE house then the flight from a friends strip to avoid the publicity. Most of us would just treat him like another pilot but there are a lot that would likely make a big gathering like Oshkosh less than fun for him.

Is that a SR-72 in the final scene of the trailer?

Well... CGI of a SR-72?

Looks like they used a Blue Angel to create the SR-72 scene.

If he wanted to come to Oshkosh I think he would enjoy it. There have been a lot of more famous pilots/vips than him there.

And I don't think his flying has anything to do with the other subject you are writing about.

I have been avoiding the trailers(I hate spoilers), but my wife watched it. Afterwards, she leaned over and asked, “We’re getting a babysitter and going to to see this in the theater, aren’t we?”

Review by a Fighter Pilot. He likes the movie based on what he saw in the trailer. Me too and his comments are right on based on my very limited experience, especially the O Club:D

cheers

I'm a fighter pilot (who still flys fighters *ahem*) and I want to see the movie. Will it be accurate to what we actually do? Not a chance. The problem is that the screen can't capture the experience and make it what we are actually doing. My wingman might be up to 7 miles away from me and we are starting 100+ miles from the bad guys, shooting WAY outside of BVR. Even when we transition to WVR, 3,000' slant range is "close". That's a 1/2 mile! How does that relate to video? Poorly in my experience.

But the movie will be entertaining. Fighter pilots will roll their eyes at a lot of it but we'll smile and enjoy the ride.

I'm a fighter pilot (who still flys fighters *ahem*) and I want to see the movie. Will it be accurate to what we actually do? Not a chance. The problem is that the screen can't capture the experience and make it what we are actually doing. My wingman might be up to 7 miles away from me and we are starting 100+ miles from the bad guys, shooting WAY outside of BVR. Even when we transition to WVR, 3,000' slant range is "close". That's a 1/2 mile! How does that relate to video? Poorly in my experience.

But the movie will be entertaining. Fighter pilots will roll their eyes at a lot of it but we'll smile and enjoy the ride.

Which brings up the question, do we really do any dogfighting anymore? When’s the last time a US fighter has had to do aerobatic maneuvers to avoid an enemy aircraft?

Tom

TG was the first movie to play if you had a nice surround sound setup....the jet noise was awesome with a subwoofer.

Tom
When the VCR tape became available, Best Buy used it in their sound system demo rooms. One view of that opening sequence and I spent BIG bucks on a system so I could watch it at home.

All but two appear to be missile kills, which certainly isn't a traditional dogfight. McNamara was right.:)

Ron Wanttaja

Unfortunately he was wrong 40 years ago about missiles only over the North. Not his only mistake.

Cheers

The trend has been for further and further distance between shooter and target. I won't go into too much detail on this; the X band is where all the targeting info is passed from shooter to missile. 20 years ago the X band was wide enough that the technology to be able to have a smart jammer that can shut down enough of that band to matter was unavailable. The times they are 'a changin.

I see a bigger need going forward for BFM skills.

Here's the other thing about BFM ("dog fighting"). It sculpts the way a young fighter pilot's mind works. BFM forces you to make life-or-death decisions every 1/2 to 1 second. You make a decision, maneuver the jet to try to get it to follow what your brain had in mind (lots more to that part than one sentence), immediately forget what just happened because you are making another determination about the picture the bandit is showing you, then make another decision, etc, etc. We need guys to make decisions in the jet. They have to process a $H!T LOAD of data in a fraction of a second and make a *nearly perfect decision; that happens all the time - not just in BFM. The last 20 years of COIN operations has dulled that once finely tuned edge; we better get back to it quick IMO.

Even if we get laser beams that kill people 100 miles away, we need to practice BFM or find something else as challenging and fun (not likely) to hone that decision making ability.

I remember going into a Circuit City store with Top Gun and Days of Thunder playing on their big screen televisions.....talk about marketing genius.

I remember going into a Circuit City store with Top Gun and Days of Thunder playing on their big screen televisions.....talk about marketing genius.

I used to go to NAS Cecil a lot and it was always playing on VHS at the BX. Later on when I was stationed at Miramar, it was always playing on DVD there. I bought Top Gun from the BX there in ‘98. My first DVD ever.

Back