Enroute and outside of radio reception for almost 4 hours... what's the Plan?!

wayneda40

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
waynemcc

On this return from Loreto, Baja California we explore some of the options. When you're flying in a remote area, what do you have available?
-- 406 ELT?
-- ADS-B Out?
-- PLB? with tracks? textable?
-- Sat phone?
-- survival kit?
-- other ideas?

What do you see as the pros/cons of each of the above? Have you had experiences where some worked and some didn't?
Thanks for your input,
Wayne

All of the above with the exception of ADS-B I don’t even have a transponder. But always have the installed ELT and an EPLB. Sat phone and survival kit never leave the plane unless I’m making a call. In the winter I add snow shoes and some extra warmth items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of the above with the exception of ADS-B I don’t even have a transponder. But always have the installed ELT and an EPLB. Sat phone and survival kit never leave the plane unless I’m making a call. In the winter I add snow shoes and some extra warmth items.

Steven, good stuff!
Just a heads up... Mexico says they are now strict about requiring a 406 ELT.

Steven, good stuff!
Just a heads up... Mexico says they are now strict about requiring a 406 ELT.

In alaska Mexico is a little out of my range. And my ELT is a 406

Nice video!

If I was doing long, remote flights, I’d consider a basic satellite phone, as well as a PLB.

My wife and I each carry a PLB, the airplane has ADS-B and a 406 ELT. We always carry water and a first aid kit, plus a handheld aviation radio.

I carry a McMurdo Fastfind Plus PLB and a handheld VHF com radio on every flight. If I knew I'd be out of VHF com coverage for an extended period I'd also consider carrying along my ham band HF SSB transceiver and a rolled up dipole antenna for use if I had to land off-airport someplace remote from civilization.

Back