NYC Corridor Trip - Restaurants North

mcdewey

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Mike
Hi Folks,

My buddy and I are going to fly the Hudson corridor on Monday. We'll come from the South, up through the corridor, stop to eat, switch seats, then fly back.

The closest airport after exiting the corridor appears to be KHPN (Westchester), which has restaurants. Any thing to note at that airport and the restaurants? Looks like they have some fees.

Also, any other airports around there you'd recommend instead?

I searched through the forum but only found some notes on how to fly the corridor.

Thanks for your help. Looking forward to the trip!

Monday is tough, lots of restaurants are closed then. Otherwise I'd suggest CAVU restaurant at Kobelt (N45), or the airport cafe at Sky Acres (44N).

Monday is tough, lots of restaurants are closed then. Otherwise I'd suggest CAVU restaurant at Kobelt (N45), or the airport cafe at Sky Acres (44N).
Good point!

44N, KPOU, and there's a deli walking distance from 20N.

OXC.. 121 restaurant on the field. Taxi and park right at the entrance

I’m actually going to do this today with my boys for fun if air is smooth.
Question I have is do the skyline or just Hudson corridor VFR?? Going to Blairstown for breakfast then going to pass through the Corridor from the south to north then head home

I’m actually going to do this today with my boys for fun if air is smooth.
Question I have is do the skyline or just Hudson corridor VFR?? Going to Blairstown for breakfast then going to pass through the Corridor from the south to north then head home

We're going to do the Hudson corridor VFR...I would think it's easier get lower and drop down to circle the Statue of Liberty. Have a great flight!

The restaurant at 44N is only open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Very good, though. Paula's at KPOU is 7 days a week.

Both the Sunset Grill (N07, Lincoln Park) and the Smoke Shack Barbecue and Burger cafe at Greenwood Lake airport (4N1) are a touch closer than Paula's, Danbury, and Oxford, but are closed Monday.

If you choose to fly the Skyline route then on the first pass north up the Hudson ask for a Central Park transition across Manhattan to the East River. Cross east at the 79th Street boat basis (at the southern end of the lake in the Park). Fly down the East River past the United Nations and Brooklyn, Manhattan, and 59th Street bridges and around the Battery back up the Hudson to the North.

I've always stopped at Lincoln Park (N07) for lunch when doing the Hudson tour

So, to the OP, did you make the trip? Where did you eat if you did?

Yep, my buddy Stu and I did the flight, stopped at KPOU, ate at Paula's then switched and flew back.

Paula's was great. It's right on the parking apron. It was quiet and we got a seat right away. We ordered, me a burger/fries and Stu had a Reuban/Onion rings. As we're sitting there, they were handing out desserts, so we got a free dessert, some kind of cake with a fruit filling and icing. They brought out the order and the food was delicious, then the waiter brought out another bowl of onion rings for Stu, since the cook had felt that the first batch was overcooked. They were fine and we enjoyed both servings! They were very attentive and obviously trying really hard to be excellent. Go there!!

Now for the flying part, we took off from W29 (Bay Bridge airport, Stevensville, MD), then got flight following, cut towards Atlantic City, then headed straight for the corridor. ATC dropped flight following at KBLM (Monmouth) then we descended under the Bravo and went through at 1100 ft. No other traffic was heading northbound. The radio was pretty busy with helicopter pilots, one of whom was talking like a pirate. Once through the corridor, we went back up along the Hudson, saw West Point, contacted KPOU tower and landed for lunch.

After lunch we switched seats and Stu flew back. We had to avoid a big military cargo aircraft going into KSWF (Stewart) then started our descent into the corridor. We saw a Mooney coming in parallel with us, but he pulled back and came in behind us. This time through the corridor we had him behind us and another aircraft in front of us. Since there was a plane and two helicopters circling the Status of Liberty, Stu decided to just continue through. I got some great pictures though (which I can't get to here at work. Sorry.) Once through and past the Bravo, we ascended, got FF and had a nice quiet flight back.

It was great experience and not hard at all. The view is awesome and it's wonderful that we can fly right up the middle of New York City. If you have a chance to fly it, do it!

Edit: Flightaware. Not sure if everyone can see links, but here they are. https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N5264K/history/20191223/1501Zm, https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N5264K/history/20191223/1904Z/KPOU/L 38.98000 -76.34390

Last edited:
Thanks for the Pirep mcdewey. How long was the total flight time, w29 to POU? I’d like to visit W29, it’s where I took my Rusty Pilot course, flew the Searey and the Auto Gyro. That was on my road back to the left seat. Helen runs a nice operation.

Thanks for the Pirep mcdewey. How long was the total flight time, w29 to POU? I’d like to visit W29, it’s where I took my Rusty Pilot course, flew the Searey and the Auto Gyro. That was on my road back to the left seat. Helen runs a nice operation.
About 2 hours.

Back