Famous (and infamous) people.. who are pilots

Local here in Atlanta with a talk show that was nationally syndicated, Neil Bortz. He has/had a Mooney.

He was on the AOPA board at one point, I believe. The old one. Many many moons ago.

Russ Francis, and a nice guy
Charles,
Prince Andrew, he flew in combat in Falklands
Ski racer, Jim "Moose" Barrows
1952 Indy 500 winner Troy Ruttman
Janet Gutherie
John Oates of Hall and Oates
Car racer and builder Jim Hall
Sen. George McGovern
JFK Jr and older Kennedy son Joe
And of course, Bruce, that is Caitland

Last edited:
You can have Jolie, I'll take Gisele

jiselle.jpg

Kenny G and his Beaver. Seriously this guy has some hours!

kennygbeaver.jpg

Clint Eastwood (rotor)
Brad Pitt (I believe he owns or is checked out in a Spitfire)
Morgan Freeman

I doubt and have never heard of Brad Pitt flying a Spitfire, think he and Angie owned a Cirrus.

I doubt and have never heard of Brad Pitt flying a Spitfire, think he and Angie owned a Cirrus.

Google is your friend. :D

Brad Pitt has bought a R34 million Spitfire plane. The 49-year-old actor has developed a fascination with World War II since working on his latest movie 'Fury' and has splashed out on one of the fighter aircraft which was commonly used by the Royal Air Force during the battle, which took place between 1939 and 1945.

https://www.news24.com/You/Archive/brad-pitt-buys-r34-million-spitfire-plane-20170728

Brian what is a "R 34 million plane? A market price for a good one is likely L 3 miilon, don't know what the R is.
They do teach at Boultbee

Damn, Jimmy Buffet (already mentioned) has some pretty awesome type ratings!

Newsman and commentator Paul Harvey.

I would have loved to hear his radio calls.

Tower: Radar services terminated squawk VFR, frequency change approved...

Paul: ... squawk vfr, frequency change approved, Guuud dAy,

I wonder if all his hanger flying stories ended with, “now you know the rest of the story”

If these people were famous first and pilots second, it just reinforces the idea that aviation is something bored rich people do to convert surplus cash into noise.

Brian what is a "R 34 million plane? A market price for a good one is likely L 3 miilon, don't know what the R is.
They do teach at Boultbee

I have no idea. I just copy and paste them, not interpret them. :D

R stands for South African Rand. R34 million is 34 million Rand, or about US $2.38 million at current exchange rate.

The news link posted was from a South African news website (News24).

I (before the Kenny G company) also flew for the company that managed the Buffet airplanes.
To be honest, he was considered somewhat of a joke pilot. He would sit in back and come up to perform the landing.
He also flipped a seaplane and had to do one of those Fed rides (609?).

Almost certainly NPR's Marketplace host Kai Rissdal. A couple of months ago when the S&P was at 2992 point something, he reported it as "two niner niner two" and then followed up with, "that's an altimeter setting"...

I read 'a pirate looks at 50' a couple summers ago which is mostly about flying his Albatross around the Caribbean. Fun book. Got to see the airplane at margaritaville at universal Orlando. Kind of sad she isn't flying, but she's appears to be in good shape. 'Joke pilot' or not he had to earn the ratings like everybody else, and he's definitely a helluva story teller.

Almost certainly NPR's Marketplace host Kai Rissdal. A couple of months ago when the S&P was at 2992 point something, he reported it as "two niner niner two" and then followed up with, "that's an altimeter setting"...

i remember hearing and noting that also.

No listings for any Ryssdal in the pilot database.

Beat me to that one...But I’ll add Johnny Carson to the list

Kaye came to mind only because we watched White Christmas the other night.

I don’t think Neal Boortz has been mentioned yet. He often spoke of his Mooney on his show.

Robert Taylor was also an active pilot. In the interview after the radio broadcast of Flight Command (Lux Radio Theatre) he mentions taking flying lessons. During WWII he was a flight instructor.

Back