For Sale: Aircraft 1965 Piper Cherokee 140 SOLD

alfadog

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
alfadog
My friend has run into a financial emergency and really needs to sell his airplane. It is a 1965 Piper Cherokee 140. This a/c was purchased some years ago by an A&P/IA that restored it. It was in a hangar all that time. Then a few years back my friend acquired the a/c in some kind of business deal with the A&P/IA. He moved it to his hangar and it sat for a couple, three years, I think. Now it has been on the ramp for the last year.

My friend asked me to start an annual on it and I did the pre-inspection ground checks and the compression. Started right up and just a few squawks to address. Compressions were all 70 and above. Battery was replaced new one year ago along with the spark plugs and have zero flight time since. Very nice 4-place interior. You will not be ashamed to put your friends and family in this airplane.

Right as I was beginning my work, this financial emergency came up. So my friend would like to sell the airplane ASAP as-is. $15k is a FIRM price. Less than that and I will buy it myself.

Today is Thursday, 12/19. Tomorrow, I will take pictures and add them to this thread. This weekend, it goes on eBay with BIN of at least $16.5k and a reserve of $16k. So this is a special offer for POA members.

I am going to attach a flyer he made up some time ago and my initial squawk list. This is a nice VFR airplane and would make a great primary trainer and/or time-builder.

I can complete the annual at additional cost.

KLNA is closed for POTUS TFR until 1/5/20.

N425AJ.jpg

Pre-inspection notes:
MS is a mechanic that did a bit of work on the a/c
Some of these, like the tach hunting, might clear up with use.

1. Fix primer pump
-Owner says "it is not hooked up".
2. Replace mag compass
-Under $200 from Spruce.
3. Check / replace attitude indicator
-Might be OK, need to flight test.
5. Check right main tire
-Slow leak?
6. Corrosion near fuel drain right hand side
7. Check 10 amp breaker loose per owner, which one?
8. Tach is unsteady and reads 40 RPM high
-Tach is hunting but engine is stable.
9. Compression is okay, 70 / 70 / 72 / 70
10. Replace radio
-Terra TXN-960 working one on eBay for $300.
11. Install PTT switch
13. Throttle stiff
15. Check altimeter
16. Cloudy front windshields?
-I think the owner said they were replaced new by the A&P/IA.
17. Reroute lower plug wires, order clips
18. Cracks at OAT through plexi, order drill bits to stop drill.
19. Check one hose for fireguard sleeve
20. Full power run-up RPM indeterminate due to tach issue. Estimate 2500 to 2550 RPM.
21. Mag drop about 100 RPM only left mag, 125 RPM only right mag
22. MS replaced fuel filter and gasket, needs safety wire
23. Fuel filler decals?
24. RH fuel drain leak per MS
-Not leaking when I looked at it.
25. Corrosion in battery box per MS
26. MS treated corrosion at tail
27. Vent knob in door per MS?
-Don't know issue what he is referring to.
28. MS replaced SCAT hoses

Looking forward to seeing the pics. I'm up in Jax and may be interested.

Last edited:
Even our 98 archer has a placard similar to thai....I think it says 'soft goods only'. That's a pretty flimsy plastic shelf and I suspect anything hard or heavy would punch right through it in turbulence.

just means it is for hats, jackets etc, nothing that can fly off and hit you or weighs too much. The originally called these Hat Shelves IIRC.

Sorry Jim, didn't see your reply till I hit post.

$15k price expires tomorrow, Monday December 23rd, at 2 p.m. Eastern time.

The reason for that is I have it on Barnstormers for a $16500 and eBay for $16995 and it has generated interest at that price but...

The but has to do with usual questions about when was it flown last, can I guarantee that the annual will only cost $2K or so, etc. Valid concerns. So tomorrow, I have decided to start digging into the airplane a little bit with the eye towards getting it in a condition that I can apply for a ferry permit for it. That means that I will be comfortable with its airworthiness and that the ADs are up-to-date. I can do that in a relatively short amount of time and with little expense and still stick with the prices on Barnstormers and eBay. But not the $15k offered here. Also I will be able to quote definitively what it would take to finish the annual.

Why doesn't anybody read the rules?

As stated in the Rules of Conduct, please do not comment on the value of the goods offered, unless specifically requested by the original poster.

618ssffvzjL._SX425_.jpg

I have a $2,000 deposit pending the prospective purchaser coming down and seeing it in about two weeks. Sounds pretty firm.

Reactions: Ted
Back