If you're in the Southwest US and haven't flown the Baja... you're missing out BIGTIME!

wayneda40

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
waynemcc
Video: Loreto in Levi's C182 - Part 1 [KSBA MMSF MMLT]

A quick overnight adventure to Baja California in Levi’s smooth Cessna 182. Part 1 is outbound to Loreto (MMLT) with a stop at San Felipe (MMSF) to clear customs and top off fuel... and Part 2 (video to come) the return trip with CBP stop at Calexico (KCXL).
  • Have you flown in Mexico... if no, why not?
  • Which Airports of Entry have you used? and prefer?
  • Loreto is cool, but how 'bout some even quieter Baja destinations (LA Bay, Alfonsina's, Punta Abreojos, etc)? Where have you landed?
  • Interested in flying for one of the volunteer healthcare groups (Liga, FlyingSams, FlyingDocs)?
  • Are you following the airfield licensing effort by Baja Bush Pilots?
Enjoy!
Wayne, the GeezerGeek Pilot

We really like Loreto but our favorite B&B closed and all the others seem to have doubled and tripled their prices so maybe one of those quieter places would be the ticket.

Your video makes me recall a little fly-in to Loreto 4 years ago. We had about 18 people in several planes. It was unforgettable and the town was cozy and welcoming. We had wonderful time in this beautiful place. Unfortunately, 2 years later we lost one of our best and long time pilot friend in the group. Probably because the trip was too good and so unforgettable, no fly-in was ever hosted after that. I miss that place. Thanks for sharing the video.

Last edited:
Yes.
I prefer to check in at MMSF and check out at Calexico, CA.
I love Loreto, La Paz, and Cabo Downtown airports
I'm not interested in other organizations at this time.
Yes, I'm following the BBP efforts.

I haven’t...YET but now that Mexico allows basicmed, I’ve ordered all the necessary permits. All that I’m lacking at this point is a 406 ELT.

My first trip will be to Ensenada just because my fiancée and I both really enjoy Valle de Guadalupe.

A quick overnight adventure to Baja California in Levi’s smooth Cessna 182. Part 1 is outbound to Loreto (MMLT) with a stop at San Felipe (MMSF) to clear customs and top off fuel... and Part 2 (video to come) the return trip with CBP stop at Calexico (KCXL).

Because I live 2 miles from the border and get to see/live the stories that don't make the papers ... aviation wise, there was a pilot here that lost an engine and dead sticked perfect onto a road there in SE Juarez with no damage ... he was arrested and took a week to get out. The plane was another story.

KELP has an LOA that allows directing traffic over their airspace and I don't even accept those detour/deviations as I am usually carrying a weapon.

I took a motorcycle all the way through Baja in the 90's. I doubt it's changed, and honestly you're not missing that much unless you're an arch fan of sand and rocks.

I had some good marlin fish tacos there 5-7 yrs ago on a dirt bike tour. With the cartel element these days, not sure I’ll go back to Mexico.

I haven’t...YET but now that Mexico allows basicmed, I’ve ordered all the necessary permits. All that I’m lacking at this point is a 406 ELT.

My first trip will be to Ensenada just because my fiancée and I both really enjoy Valle de Guadalupe.
My previous crossings into Mexico were either on my then-current 3rd Class or with 3rd Class holders in the right seat. On this trip, both Levi and I used our BasicMed... worked just fine.
Wayne

Have you flown in Mexico... if no, why not?
COPA does a fair bit of international flying, and I'm always amazed at just how much work is required with handlers, etc., and how unfriendly most countries are to private aviation. It's too bad.. would be really cool to fly south.. the Inca ruins, great diving, etc., culture, it would be awesome to see.. maybe some day.. but now would not be the time, at least that's outside of my own tolerance for risk:

As of 2017 or 2018 it had the 19th highest intentional homicide rate in the world out of 230 countries, at least per the UN (for comparison the US is at 89).. source: https://dataunodc.un.org/crime/intentional-homicide-victims ..

Incidentally these don't inspire confidence:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-50315470
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...rom-three-bridges-near-tourist-spot-los-cabos
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/21/mexicos-monthly-rate-reaches-20-year-high
https://www.wsj.com/articles/mexicos-murder-rate-hit-record-high-in-2018-11564079972
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/08/murder-rate-mexico-soars-record-190801180828901.html

It's not the average citizenry, I get it.. but I feel like a "rich" American dude flying in on his private airplane would expose you to a fairly high level of risk for kidnapping, ransom, theft, etc., and I'm not sure it's worth the risk, right now at least

Video: Loreto in Levi's C182 - Part 1 [KSBA MMSF MMLT]

• Which Airports of Entry have you used? and prefer?
  • Loreto is cool, but how 'bout some even quieter Baja destinations (LA Bay, Alfonsina's, Punta Abreojos, etc)? Where have you landed?
  • Interested in flying for one of the volunteer healthcare groups (Liga, FlyingSams, FlyingDocs)?
  • Are you following the airfield licensing effort by Baja Bush Pilots?
Enjoy!
Wayne, the GeezerGeek Pilot
PS, that was a nice video, thanks for sharing

My previous crossings into Mexico were either on my then-current 3rd Class or with 3rd Class holders in the right seat. On this trip, both Levi and I used our BasicMed... worked just fine.
Wayne
Good to hear there were no issues!

COPA does a fair bit of international flying, and I'm always amazed at just how much work is required with handlers, etc., and how unfriendly most countries are to private aviation. It's too bad.. would be really cool to fly south.. the Inca ruins, great diving, etc., culture, it would be awesome to see.. maybe some day.. but now would not be the time, at least that's outside of my own tolerance for risk:

As of 2017 or 2018 it had the 19th highest intentional homicide rate in the world out of 230 countries, at least per the UN (for comparison the US is at 89).. It's not the average citizenry, I get it.. but I feel like a "rich" American dude flying in on his private airplane would expose you to a fairly high level of risk for kidnapping, ransom, theft, etc., and I'm not sure it's worth the risk, right now at least

I'm not here to persuade anyone to travel to Mexico... but with due care (and complete adherence to paperwork requirements) it can be a very enjoyable experience. And there is no need to use a "handler" in Mexico.

Over the past 4 years, I've flown my DA40 to and thru Mexico several dozen times -- and to Cuba, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Panama, and Colombia -- thus far without incident.

Wayne

I'm not here to persuade anyone to travel to Mexico... but with due care (and complete adherence to paperwork requirements) it can be a very enjoyable experience. And there is no need to use a "handler" in Mexico.

Over the past 4 years, I've flown my DA40 to and thru Mexico several dozen times -- and to Cuba, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Panama, and Colombia -- thus far without incident.

Wayne
that's pretty incredible, I'm sure you have some great memories and stories. Is avgas readily available or do you need to carefully plan your route around that? What if you have a mechanical, like a loss of magneto or something that needs attention?

that's pretty incredible, I'm sure you have some great memories and stories. Is avgas readily available or do you need to carefully plan your route around that? What if you have a mechanical, like a loss of magneto or something that needs attention?

Regarding Avgas availability (for this purpose I sometimes wish I had the diesel DA40NG :))-- avgas is a primary item to check out in advance, not only via ForeFlight, Acukwik.com, AOPA trip books, etc, but in many cases (e.g. MMSF) calling the day before to hear a voice in the tower say "si, tenemos gasavión" and even double checking on Approach or Tower frequency before you commit to land.

My right-seat pilot/sidekick does most of his C182 maintenance, so that is super comforting... but surprisingly there are usually GA piston A&Ps in most places we travel.

We're flying the DA40 to the Caribbean next month (videos to come) and planning which airports to land at -- for customs/immigration, avgas, lodging -- is indeed a challenge... but at the same time a fun part of these flying tours.

As of 2017 or 2018 it had the 19th highest intentional homicide rate in the world out of 230 countries, at least per the UN (for comparison the US is at 89).. source: https://dataunodc.un.org/crime/intentional-homicide-victims ..

Incidentally these don't inspire confidence:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-50315470
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...rom-three-bridges-near-tourist-spot-los-cabos
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/21/mexicos-monthly-rate-reaches-20-year-high
https://www.wsj.com/articles/mexicos-murder-rate-hit-record-high-in-2018-11564079972
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/08/murder-rate-mexico-soars-record-190801180828901.html

It's not the average citizenry, I get it.. but I feel like a "rich" American dude flying in on his private airplane would expose you to a fairly high level of risk for kidnapping, ransom, theft, etc., and I'm not sure it's worth the risk, right now at least

+1 call me unreasonable for thinking this but I cant help thinking that going anywhere in Mexico except the extremely popular tourist spots is not much different than visiting Iraq. No Thanks..

Because I live 2 miles from the border and get to see/live the stories that don't make the papers ... aviation wise, there was a pilot here that lost an engine and dead sticked perfect onto a road there in SE Juarez with no damage ... he was arrested and took a week to get out. The plane was another story.

KELP has an LOA that allows directing traffic over their airspace and I don't even accept those detour/deviations as I am usually carrying a weapon.

oh no, you can’t get off that easy, what was the “other story” about the plane? Also, really? A week in jail for an emergency operation?

I think I speak for many in wanting to hear more.

Also I didn’t really understand that last bit about KELP and not accepting detours? If you were in the mood to expand on it.

oh no, you can’t get off that easy, what was the “other story” about the plane? Also, really? A week in jail for an emergency operation? I think I speak for many in wanting to hear more. Also I didn’t really understand that last bit about KELP and not accepting detours? If you were in the mood to expand on it.

He was told it's a crime to off airport land on a public road. I'm not a mechanic, but it was some type of carb problem that could be fixed where it landed and could have departed after repair (no electric or phone lines along the road), but was forced to truck the plane to the airport (remove wings et al). The brother of the guy that was my best man was kidnapped when he went over there, no ransom and has never been seen since ... I used to go there a LOT in the 1980-1990 range (all over Mexico not just Juarez), but haven't been since due to the drug wars.

KELP has a letter of agreement (LOA) that allows diverting aircraft over Juarez Mexico rather than transitioning through their airspace (usually if trying to transition via downtown - I now use Anthony Gap to the north which is what they want).

Nice video, but I am not interested in flying to or visiting Mexico at this time. If they wanted us, they could easily change the rules and laws to make the flying less risky. Bahamas and Turks and Caicos, while farther, are incredibly beautiful and safe.

I lost a cylinder (stuck open valve) at 10,000' in IMC 8nm NW of KELP. As I was heading toward the airport, I broke out above, but on the wrong side of the mountain rage to the west of KELP. I needed to find a lower saddle in the mountains to more comfortably dart across and ATC started advising me of a different airport I could try. It had a long Spanish name (in hindsight it was KDNA). At the time I started wondering if the airport they were telling me about was in the US or Mexico and I decided that I would rather put it down on a road or field in the US than at an airport in Mexico. As it turns out, I made KELP just fine.

I have landed my plane in Cuba and Cozumel (fuel stop on the way to Guatemala) but things were better and easier then.

I envy you California guys. From Texas it's not an easy trip. San Antonio to Chihuahua for fuel and customs. From there over Copper canyon and the Sea of Cortez to Baja. You have to have a lot of confidence in your equipment.

I lost a cylinder (stuck open valve) at 10,000' in IMC 8nm NW of KELP. As I was heading toward the airport, I broke out above, but on the wrong side of the mountain rage to the west of KELP. I needed to find a lower saddle in the mountains to more comfortably dart across and ATC started advising me of a different airport I could try. It had a long Spanish name (in hindsight it was KDNA). At the time I started wondering if the airport they were telling me about was in the US or Mexico and I decided that I would rather put it down on a road or field in the US than at an airport in Mexico. As it turns out, I made KELP just fine.

I have landed my plane in Cuba and Cozumel (fuel stop on the way to Guatemala) but things were better and easier then.

I remember your post about that ... scary stuff and you had the unfortunate timing to probably hit one of the only IFR days in our area;)

Las Cruces (KLRU) and Dona Ana (KDNA) were a little closer to where you had engine trouble .... locals here are aware of Cielo Dorado (PVT) just a little NE of KDNA and Stallman Farms (which is an X out on the map, but runways are perfect and used by crop dusters) half way between Dona Ana and Las Cruces. El Paso where you landed would be preferred for repairs so it was good you could get there.

Whats required to fly in to Mexico for GA? I would love to be able to fly to Ensenada as we have a family home there and the drive is not the best. Do I need special avionics or a specific transponder?

Whats required to fly in to Mexico for GA? I would love to be able to fly to Ensenada as we have a family home there and the drive is not the best. Do I need special avionics or a specific transponder?

AOPA lists it here: https://www.aopa.org/travel/international-travel/mexico
The basics: radio station license for aircraft, passport (duh), radio operators permit, CBP decal, 406 ELT, 3rd class or BasicMed.

I was just in Cabo for a week for work. Nice place, but with the dwindling numbers of tourists there, I wonder what its going to be like in a month or two when the locals aren't making any money.

I'm a claims investigator, and have had many claims south of the border, pistons to jets. Almost all gringos, engine failures into fields, highways, runway excursions, etc. Other than the cops checking into if they were running drugs, they all turned out ok albeit with some greasing of palms. Only once did we have to ex-filtrate the insureds back to the U.S. under the cover of darkness but that was for medical reasons, not security.

I do remember a case where a pilot of a corporate jet was injured partaking in recreational activities, breaking his back. The local doctor demanded 6 figures immediately or he would let him die. But that's probably the worst one, the rest worked out fine. in fact the repairable airplanes are done by local FAA certificated mechanics. It seems that those who have claims the most, fly there a lot/have a business there/second home and know the area and people, and trust them.

I think border crossing is suspended until the medical situation changes.

I was just in Cabo for a week for work. Nice place, but with the dwindling numbers of tourists there, I wonder what its going to be like in a month or two when the locals aren't making any money.

I’m headed down there tomorrow for an overnight. Kind of looking forward to it - I bet it’s safer there than hanging out up here!

Nice video. Thanks for sharing! Wife won't go over the border in the plane. Before Covid, we'd regularly go (drive) to our friends' house in Rosarito Beach. It's a poor country, but if you stay in the tourist areas, it seems very safe. The people are very friendly. Surprising how many ex-pats are down there. Wife doesn't like the idea of flying over the open areas of nothing, in our single engine or the idea of any potential break down. Beautiful scenery in your video.

Nice video. Thanks for sharing! Wife won't go over the border in the plane. Before Covid, we'd regularly go (drive) to our friends' house in Rosarito Beach. It's a poor country, but if you stay in the tourist areas, it seems very safe. The people are very friendly. Surprising how many ex-pats are down there. Wife doesn't like the idea of flying over the open areas of nothing, in our single engine or the idea of any potential break down. Beautiful scenery in your video.
Thanks, Rick, for watching. Mexico has gotten substantially more prosperous (less poor) in the past 15 years, and the locals remain very friendly and helpful. I flew in the Bahamas and Caribbean two months ago -- also super beautiful -- maybe those locales would appeal to your copilot. No matter where you fly, fly safely and enjoy.
Best regards,
Wayne

I’m headed down there tomorrow for an overnight. Kind of looking forward to it - I bet it’s safer there than hanging out up here!

I'd be careful. As the week wore on, the guys selling things, mostly illegal, at the Marina were getting more and more bold and pushy.

I'd be careful. As the week wore on, the guys selling things, mostly illegal, at the Marina were getting more and more bold and pushy.

Heh! *Now* you tell me! :p Anyway, being from NYC I intentionally kept to myself at the resort, so it wasn't an issue.

Last edited:
Flew down to Loreto 5x in the 80’s. Would leave Hobbs, NM and fly nonstop. Loreto was an airport of entry and no reason to land anywhere at that time. Sure the rules have changed. I agree that if you know the area well, it’s quite safe, but.... there are risks for the unsuspecting flying into areas where they do not know the people. Would hand out $2 bill tips to everyone I met at customs and was treated like a king, but my uncle lived there permanently until he died, that’s another story. Haven’t flown there since.

Bill, I've only been flying down to Mexico (Baja, and Pacific mainland) over the past 15 years, about 40 trips in total... with the FlyingDocs.org and more recently with LightHawk.org, and a good deal for pleasure. By and large I stay away from border towns and tourist zones. Mexico is a matter of personal taste and risk profile and I'm not encouraging or discouraging flying down there. But in my time down there... I've never tipped any government official (nor perceived a hint that one was expected); I have never felt unsafe (any more than I would be in a similar environment in the USA); and I find the people super nice, literate, and welcoming. But that's just me.
Be safe and enjoy wherever you are,
Wayne

I don’t think Mexico wants us now. It may change after this virus is beaten down.

I don’t think Mexico wants us now. It may change after this virus is beaten down.
Understood... thus far Mexico has a slower COVID-19 trajectory.
zpjTWL5asvLwWtna7
zpjTWL5asvLwWtna7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zpjTWL5asvLwWtna7

Back