Aeroshell case quantity

Grum.Man

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Grum.Man
This may sound a little over dramatic but am I the only one that is really annoyed by the fact Aeroshell only sells 6 qt cases now??!? I called spruce to figure out why their website wouldn't let me order a 12qt case and was informed that Aeroshell no longer sells in 12 qt quantities and they no longer have stock. So now the price is incrementally higher, and you have more packing waste. Besides almost every airplane holds 6 qts or more and you are going to use a few quarts between oil changes so 12 always seemed to work out perfect.

Luckily some other sites have 12 qt cases still so I ordered from Sporty's as they were the cheapest.

And to make it worse I think the new bottles suck.

Agreed. Just got done with an oil change. The bottles and the caps seem flimsy like they’re sourced overseas. Check out the Chinese writing on the bottle volume on the front label.

I normally keep 2 spare bottles of oil in the plane, and I swap the 2 old ones for 2 new from the case, but in this case, I’m keeping the old bottles… Not sure I trust the new ones to not leak when laid on their side.

I’m changing to using Philips.
Aeroshell changed their grease formula (#5 or #6 I think), completely screwed it up.
Company is going downhill...fast.

Tom

I’m changing to using Philips.
Aeroshell changed their grease formula (#5 or #6 I think), completely screwed it up.
Company is going downhill...fast.

Tom
Well, I don't know that I'd go that far. Companies changing their formulas is usually due to environmental regulations more than "hey we think that has been the same for too long, let's change it up" and is rarely actually their choice. I'm not stoked about bottles, but I do believe their oil is still better and I'll continue to buy it because of that.

"going downhill... fast" might be a bit of an overreaction to a new bottle (that I also don't like).

Funny, I wouldn’t be so critical of a packaging change for other stuff, including automotive oil...but my plane?!

Funny, I wouldn’t be so critical of a packaging change for other stuff, including automotive oil...but my plane?!
I know, seems so silly. I guess when you pay 3 times as much for the same stuff you have a higher expectation.

Those empty Philips bottles are so handy for other things, like cutting the end off an turning it into a funnel.

they also make a good oil filter drip pan by cutting one side of the bottle off. You can old the neck of the bottle while you unscrew the filter and catch the oil.

This may sound a little over dramatic but am I the only one that is really annoyed by the fact Aeroshell only sells 6 qt cases now??!? I called spruce to figure out why their website wouldn't let me order a 12qt case and was informed that Aeroshell no longer sells in 12 qt quantities and they no longer have stock. So now the price is incrementally higher, and you have more packing waste. Besides almost every airplane holds 6 qts or more and you are going to use a few quarts between oil changes so 12 always seemed to work out perfect.

Luckily some other sites have 12 qt cases still so I ordered from Sporty's as they were the cheapest.
I use Phillips so this doesn’t effect me. I would switch based on that if it were me. Mainly commenting just to express how happy I am that Aircraft Spruce opened a new location directly on my drive to/from work. No more delivery fees on all the goodies I order.

Ok, I’m done gloating on your mini-rant thread. :)

And to make it worse I think the new bottles suck.

I thought I had somehow gotten a hold of a couple cases of grey market product because the bottles were so different when I opened the box. And, because of the placement of some hoses near the dipstick, I found it almost impossible to tip the bottle in without leaving a bunch of oil everywhere else. The “new” bottles are simply ridiculous.

First world problem.

oil.jpg Why does Aeroshell only sell W120 in a 5 liter jug and not quarts??? I hate that!
Every time I try to pour a couple of quarts in the Stearman out of that big jug with no neck I make a damn mess!

Same. I could live with the 6qt cases (but I prefer 12), but the new bottles really suck compared to the old ones.

Seeing the new bottles and the Chinese writing I was wondering if I got counterfeit oil :eek: but then I looked it up and found this.

https://www.shell.com/business-cust...vcm1zL2VuX2diX2Flcm9zaGVsbF9uZXdfcGFja2FnaW5n

Wow.

"Helping you to grab the right oil with confidence"

Were people not grabbing "red stripe" oils properly for their W100 fix?

Somewhere, deep in the recesses of Shell, is an employed idiot nephew who should not be.

61hkx1L9TVL._SL1500_.jpg

No one used to have any negative feedback about packaging back in the day either. Maybe this is the solution?

D3D6978D-DEE0-41A3-A43C-945DF2D8F4C4.jpeg

Short necked bottles mean smaller shipping box and lower shipping costs.

I read somewhere that Walmart is the reason for the smaller cases. They wanted 6 quart cases, not 12.

View attachment 81009 Why does Aeroshell only sell W120 in a 5 liter jug and not quarts??? I hate that!
Every time I try to pour a couple of quarts in the Stearman out of that big jug with no neck I make a damn mess!

I have the same issue with the oil I'm running in the pickup, solved by using some left over Phillips X Country bottles and a funnel to fill them.

Somewhere, deep in the recesses of Shell, is an employed idiot nephew who should not be.

As someone who has family that survived the Texaco/Shell merger, you have no idea how true that is. LOL.

But I doubt it has any bearing on this change. Shell is so top heavy with bean counters they could be traded as their own commodity in Chicago.

As someone who has family that survived the Texaco/Shell merger, you have no idea how true that is. LOL.

But I doubt it has any bearing on this change. Shell is so top heavy with bean counters they could be traded as their own commodity in Chicago.
Then there was the time little old me proved to Shell (who was not my employer) that they had programmed their gravity calculations wrong at their refineries. But what do I know, I'm just a dumb bean counter.

Then there was the time little old me proved to Shell (who was not my employer) that they had programmed their gravity calculations wrong at their refineries. But what do I know, I'm just a dumb bean counter.

I didn’t say they were good at it! LOL.

I didn’t say they were good at it! LOL.
Sorry, I just hate getting called a bean counter. Why did it take me, a non petroleum engineer to point out that their software was miscalculating oil gravities? Our gravity didn’t match theirs and everyone was just assuming Shell was right. When two gravities don’t match, then something is wrong. So I pulled out the (paper) tables from the official API manuals and showed them. Come on idiots, it ain’t that hard.

Some bean counters actually have brains.

Sorry, I just hate getting called a bean counter. Why did it take me, a non petroleum engineer to point out that their software was miscalculating oil gravities? Our gravity didn’t match theirs and everyone was just assuming Shell was right. When two gravities don’t match, then something is wrong. So I pulled out the (paper) tables from the official API manuals and showed them. Come on idiots, it ain’t that hard.

Some bean counters actually have brains.

People trust computers. They shouldn’t. :)

Back