Happy Wright Brothers Day

Last year on this day I asked a lady CFI what day it was an she thought and thought and finally said, "first day of Hanukah?" and no that's not the answer.

66 years from the first flight to the first moon landing.

(of course someone will bring up Gustav soon..)

66 years from the first flight to the first moon landing.

(of course someone will bring up Gustav soon..)

I remember talking with my grandfather when he was in his 80's. He was born in 1889 and died in 1975. He was aware (and interested) when the Wright brothers flew and saw men on the moon all in his lifetime.

Wright Brothers day- the day that began the ability of pilots to look down upon all others!

Represent.

c67d4b1d05d3a4d4ed19b77ef72deffd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

One of the really fun things to do at Airventure is go to the Ford tent and hope they have the replica Wright Flyer with computer screen there so you can try a practice flight. Believe me, its not easy, and there are 2 sort of secrets that I am not going to tell. Even knowing them and with a bit of practice at best I was a C-. I tried to get Patti Wagstaff who was there to have a go and she said, not while all those people were watching,that she had heard about this thing and would come back later. Those guys could fly as well as invent.

The Wright brothers get all the credit for succeeding. The lesser known Wrong brothers did all of the heavy R&D, but never quite put it together....

Here’s to being a pilot, and always being Wright!

The part of the story I love is how it’s really American.

Like the gubmint was throwing money at ‘experts’ trying to figure this out and in typical gubmint fashion it was a dumpster fire. But a couple of bicycle mechanics figured out so much by actually working, not theorizing. They did wing warping, rudders, lots of stuff.
That’s ‘Merida.
If we let the gubmint figure this out we’d all still be taking steamships to Europe.

Back