For Sale 93 ACRE MOUNTAINTOP RETREAT 2000' RUNWAY MAY BE EXTENDED TO 3000'

Hmmmmm..not too far from where we live now....

Isn’t this the one that Henning wanted to buy at one point?

NY State is beautiful... if only they could give NYC to NJ and Albany to Massachusetts...

NY came up dead last as the "least free state" in a recent survey looking at taxes, government regulations, etc.

not too far from me either. if I thought there was a chance that New York would open up fracking I would be more interested.

NY came up dead last as the "least free state" in a recent survey looking at taxes, government regulations, etc.

I think you might have this backwards. Coming up last in a "least free state" ranking would correlate to "most free state". I understood where you were going with it though. lol. ;)

Nice place but nobody retires and moves Up North.

Dunno. Worked in MN lakes country and all we had was retirees from the Twin Cities. Now most of them were snowbirds with a condo in Mesa or a trailer in west TX.

A 93 acre farm with a historic home and an airstrip is a full time job.

I lived in the mid-Hudson valley for 4 years (Putnam County).

I'll give you that it's beautiful country. But I got tired of doing the "mother, may I?" thing all the time. The taxes cost me dearly, especially since I was able to sell the house to some city folks for a decent premium. I've gotten to the point where the government IS a big deal, and having NY be one of the state's with the very least freedom in the US, which is not at the top of "free countries" is also a big deal.

I've looked hard at moving to New Hampshire, which is one of the state's with the most freedom and is IMHO as beautiful as much of New York. I've also looked some expat stuff, too, but that's a different kettle of money especially with the US taxes on worldwide income even as an expat.
Agree with absolutely all of that. My brother-in-law lives in NH, and it is similarly beautiful. The downside for me is that... I'm a jazz musician. I have to be where I can get to gigs. Living near Syracuse, I've got Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, Albany, Binghamton, and NYC all within reasonable reach.. and they all have at least some modicum of a jazz scene, although some more than others. Admittedly, I'm at a time in my life where I don't HAVE to earn any more money, but I love playing, and being a musician is pretty high on the list of what makes me me... not that that's a good thing! ;) It'd be tough to replicate that in NH. Sort of a catch 22... the people who do the stuff I do are pretty much city folks, and of a "progressive" political mindset, and I'm in the vast, VAST minority. If I want to gig, I have to live and move in those circles.

Dunno. Worked in MN lakes country and all we had was retirees from the Twin Cities. Now most of them were snowbirds with a condo in Mesa or a trailer in west TX.

Wife and I have no, zero, zip, NADA interest in following the seemingly mandatory "retire to warm climates" guidelines. ewwww. Summer is my least favorite season, and winter is my favorite. I'd retire to Alaska if my wife would go with me, but she's not QUITE the winter fanatic I am, and requires at least one season of serious warmth beachiness a year.

I don't know if all 93 acres need to be maintained.. perhaps it's woods? My A&P owns his own airport, half grass/half paved, and watching him and his son keep the grass portion mowed, fixing the huge tractor they do it with several times per mow... it's pretty sobering as to what it takes to maintain a grass strip, at least from my experience watching him. Yes, it would be daunting, and not much like "retirement"... however, the longest lived peoples in the world don't have a word for "retirement" in their vocabulary. Maybe they're on to something. I like to think of my retirement as having quit my day gig to finally do the work I enjoy.

Last edited:
Agree with absolutely all of that. My brother-in-law lives in NH, and it is similarly beautiful. The downside for me is that... I'm a jazz musician. I have to be where I can get to gigs. Living near Syracuse, I've got Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, Albany, Binghamton, and NYC all within reasonable reach.. and they all have at least some modicum of a jazz scene, although some more than others. Admittedly, I'm at a time in my life where I don't HAVE to earn any more money, but I love playing, and being a musician is pretty high on the list of what makes me me... not that that's a good thing! ;) It'd be tough to replicate that in NH. Sort of a catch 22... the people who do the stuff I do are pretty much city folks, and of a "progressive" political mindset, and I'm in the vast, VAST minority. If I want to gig, I have to live and move in those circles.

Wife and I have no, zero, zip, NADA interest in following the seemingly mandatory "retire to warm climates" guidelines. ewwww. Summer is my least favorite season, and winter is my favorite. I'd retire to Alaska if my wife would go with me, but she's not QUITE the winter fanatic I am, and requires at least one season of serious warmth beachiness a year.

I don't know if all 93 acres need to be maintained.. perhaps it's woods? My A&P owns his own airport, half grass/half paved, and watching him and his son keep the grass portion mowed, fixing the huge tractor they do it with several times per mow... it's pretty sobering as to what it takes to maintain a grass strip, at least from my experience watching him. Yes, it would be daunting, and not much like "retirement"... however, the longest lived peoples in the world don't have a word for "retirement" in their vocabulary. Maybe they're on to something. I like to think of my retirement as having quit my day gig to finally do the work I enjoy.
I agree. if you are planful about what you maintain and how, you can make a lot less work. Example, leave most of it wild, get a big tractor to mow the runway. put steel roofs and gutter guards up, and don't have acres of flowerbeds to weed.

You'll still have to stain the old barn/etc. If it was in WA, i'd call it a retirement dream for me. I figure with a plane it's easy to fly 4-5 hours to get to warm weather when you want, and being retired, you could do it VFR (just wait for a clear cold day and go)

Checking my lotto tickets. Hang on a sec...

you've said something similar numerous times here and I seriously doubt you have personal experience with the topic. I've lived in 160 acres about 15 miles north of Branson. 90 acres an hour south of St. Louis. 430 acres 60mi SE of Springfield, MO, 160 acres 2 hrs south of St. Louis and am now building on 80 acres, 30 minutes NE of Springfield...complete with a grass airstrip.

None were "full time jobs"...all it takes is the right equipment.

my current airstrip is done and I had to start mowing it early June. After the first three or four times to get the system down and I could mow it and the surrounding land (about 6 to 8 acres total) in about 1.5 hours. My Bush Hog ZTR cuts 6' @ 13 to 14 mph.

Far from a full time job.

I am not saying that mowing a 2000ft strip is a full-time job. I am saying that maintaining a 93acre hobby farm with a 100 year old farm house and a 3 story historic barn is a job for itself.
I only have to mow about 8 and maintain 1200ft of gravel road, and even with a modern house there is always something that needs attention. The friends with the old farmsteads either don't have a job or they don't have a weekend. My neighbor had the historic barn. Every other year it took a couple of days of the amish carpentry crew to keep it upright.

The number of these "dream properties', (small farms with nice homes on them), that can be bought for less than what it costs to build them, suggests that the market of those who have the financial means and the time to maintain them is limited . They tend to be one-off deals, and you either like a two story log timber lodge with antlers or you don't. Whenever I see one of those for sale, I wonder how much of someone's heart went into building their 'dream home' and why it is coming up for sale now.

With all those caveats, that's exactly the kind of property I am looking for right now. Probably won't do the runway as WV is a bit too hilly for that, although there are a few with a strip on them.

Last edited:
NY State is beautiful... if only they could give NYC to NJ and Albany to Massachusetts...

NY and CA are in the same boat

Quick PIREP ... We did a quick detour yesterday to stop and look at this property on our way home from visiting family downstate. It was kind of a last-minute whim decision, so we didn't call ahead and were unable to go inside the house or barn as no one answered knocks at the door.

It's truly a beautiful location, high on a hill, with a gorgeous view. I didn't walk the entire airstrip, but the part I saw was very well maintained and in great shape. The barn is as large as it looks in the pictures, and looks very true and sound from the outside.

The location is a bit too remote for my wife, and she and I both like our current house too much to make the swap for this one, so we won't be pursuing this property, but it's a beautiful piece of land in a gorgeous location.

Back