Are the dairy cows on strike?

flhrci

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
David
Went to the grocery store this morning, Meijer, and saw a gallon of store brand milk at $3.59 a gallon! It was $2.49 a few days ago and around $1.99 this summer. I bought the name brand gallon as it was 30 cents cheaper. They are never cheaper, usually.

WOW!

Cost of feed has gone up, so many suppliers reduced number of cows over the past year or two, hence most dairy is going up in price. I see it in domestic cheese price and ice cream, altho ice cream is seasonal.

Cost of feed has gone up, so many suppliers reduced number of cows over the past year or two, hence most dairy is going up in price. I see it in domestic cheese price and ice cream, altho ice cream is seasonal.
I haven't seen the price hike in cheese or ice cream yet but now i expect it. Valid reasons you gave I suppose.

What you are missing is the largest milk producer in the US went BK Chapter 11 two weeks ago, they cited that younger people are not drinking and prices were falling, yesterday I bought a one gallon 2% for $1.25 at Wally World, the farmers are not making any money and they were selling cows for other things,

The milk producer is Dean's Foods that went BK

I checked Kroger app while at Meijer and saw that Kroger had a gallon for $2.49. Kroger website says $1.79 for a half.

Big company different price zones.

What you are missing is the largest milk producer in the US went BK Chapter 11 two weeks ago, they cited that younger people are not drinking and prices were falling, yesterday I bought a one gallon 2% for $1.25 at Wally World, the farmers are not making any money and they were selling cows for other things,

Wow. I can see that. Many people are switching to soy milk, almond milk and other fake milks. Initially that might depress prices but if it causes a large producer to leave the market, that would result in a bump.

I used to be a big milk drinker, and bone scans showed I had the bones of a 20 year old. But a few years ago I switched to almond milk because I wanted fewer carbs. I was shocked at my last bone scan, I have osteopenia in one area, so I’m going back to cow’s milk. Almond milk has zero calcium! Although they are starting to add calcium now to some brands. But the type they add (calcium carbonate) does not have as good a bioavailability as cow’s milk.

Living in hipster land, I can't just purchase milk without a minimum of 3 modifying adjectives.

That said, holy hell, the organic grass-fed stuff I drink is amazing. :D Of course, $7.29 for the half-gallon is a little steep, but sometimes it goes on sale for a mere six bucks.

https://www.instacart.com/new-seasons-market/products/16916319-maple-hill-organic-whole-milk-0-5-gal

Your previously $2.50 milk is certainly sweat-shop milk and tastes like dishwater. Consider the price hike a blessing.

/snob

Living in hipster land, I can't just purchase milk without a minimum of 3 modifying adjectives.

That said, holy hell, the organic grass-fed stuff I drink is amazing. :D Of course, $7.29 for the half-gallon is a little steep, but sometimes it goes on sale for a mere six bucks.

https://www.instacart.com/new-seasons-market/products/16916319-maple-hill-organic-whole-milk-0-5-gal

Your previously $2.50 milk is certainly sweat-shop milk and tastes like dishwater. Consider the price hike a blessing.

/snob
When I buy milk it’s based on price and use by date.

when I shop for cigars my inner snob is revealed.

I think it's all supply/demand/logistics. Locally a gallon of milk has run about $1.79 for several years. Back east I recently saw anywhere from $3.50 - $4.50 a gallon...

Our community used to made up of over 50% small dairy farmers. Milk prices starting dropping some years ago and now there are none left. Zero. Unable to compete with the huge dairies, of which there are few or none in this area. (SE S. Dak.)

In Oregon the main crop seems to be hemp, not feed crops so the price of feed is going up. Or so I've been told.

Dean's is the brand of milk I got. Hmm.

/snob
Had not heard of sweat-shop milk before. Learnt something today! lol

Economics for small dairies is simply putting them out of business. Feed costs, environmental costs (most dairies now have pollution prevention plans to deal with solid and liquid wastes together with compliance with air quality standards), labor costs, health care costs for the animals, taxes, milk prices and international subsidies, and reduce consumer demand through the rise of milk alternatives (especially for those that are lactose intolerant) all have worked toward the small dairy farmer demise. I used to be a relief milker for a number of small, family owned dairy farms (40-200 head) and everyone of them is now out of business and several are subdivisions. I think it’s now get big or go out of business and with that comes higher prices.

I lend to regional grocery stores. They’ve been selling milk at a loss for at least two years. A few point to Walmart and Aldi who sell gallons at $0.89 or $0.99 in some areas to get folks into the store.

Other grocers had to drop prices to be within range taking dairy prices and margins down.

Milk producers are also being squeezed since their product is negative margin to their customers (except organic).

Very tough time to be a dairy farmer or brick & mortar grocer.

I think its a Meijer only price bump... Milk went down at Aldis last week...

Im guessing its part of how they are making up the profits for crazy holiday sales. I had good info years ago that they hired a guy that wrote the algorithm of when they run a sale on something they move something else up and never really give away a dime.

Come in to get the BOGO cranberry sauce, stuffing and crazy cheap turkey... and you're going to grab milk, and well its the holidays you're beat you aren't going to run somewhere else for the milk...

When I lived in Alaska I bought powdered milk. Same stuff, last longer, cost a lot less than the $9.00 dollar a gallon milk.

Don't like the taste.?? Just put more or less powder in until you get the taste you like.

Raw milk sells for 6 per gallon depending on which state your in,check the state laws.
Some people like it and those that do are def milk snob extremists

I lend to regional grocery stores. They’ve been selling milk at a loss for at least two years. A few point to Walmart and Aldi who sell gallons at $0.89 or $0.99 in some areas to get folks into the store.
Was just in Aldi and it is $2.63 for a gallon of 2% and Wally World has it for $2.55. not sure it is them, here any way. Still $3.59 at Meijer.

Global climate change. Cows bad. Wait until they add carbon credits for the methane produced.... Or require methane capture from the cows.

Global climate change. Cows bad. Wait until they add carbon credits for the methane produced.... Or require methane capture from the cows.

Congress will never allow the capture hoses to be attached to their faces. Doesn’t look good on CNN. LOL.

Back