New subject, who can identify these old relics

This will be a good test... Just rediscovered on "that shelf" my wife wants cleaned up!

I will attempt to refit with an LED and add it to the museum.

IMG_20191107_132638.jpg

look at the logo on the handle, an old form of re purpose . It will need cleaned, but then will end up in the museum.

Anybody have a timed out ELT 10 battery?

Finally back in heaven and looking for the finished pic of a panel for another thread, can't find it, gotta wait on my Sweetie to look further.

I did find this old relic I should break out once in a while as a response. I spent many a day tearing myself up removing a lot of wire and building a new panel on one of these... On Mark, with the clear nose. What aircraft? What did On Mark do to it!

Though I would have posed for this in a heartbeat, I never got to fly in the one I worked on...

IMG_20191109_151140.jpg

View attachment 79377 Who got screwed up training with one of these..

I've got two of these that came out of my 182, they look good on the shelf...

A buddy of mine had a used car lot and ended up with a Ducati 908 that looked like it was hand built, I only rode it a couple times, but that, I think was the beginning of the end!

I beat the hell out of an old softail Harley as my last road bike, we live in a small village now and look forward to toodeling around to the slip on little bikes.

Today I ride a CT 70, I built this one around the time I did the Ninja, It gets a refresh as well as the Wife's new ride. Her first question was "do I get to shift it?" View attachment 79437 View attachment 79438

KM100 was my first bike, I haven't seen one in years...

I've got two of these that came out of my 182, they look good on the shelf...

KM100 was my first bike, I haven't seen one in years...
My Wife will get a kick out of this! Mine was a Benelli 65.

Who can remember how those radios, and later indicators, confused the thought process of dialing in a VOR?

Love the 3 miniature guys theory, maybe add a miniature John Harrison longitude clock, and off you go.
A bit of searching found this link for the Air Position Indicator:
https://aeroantique.com/products/ai...b-manual-t-o-5n-3-1-31?variant=12200532312153
Sounds like it was pre-cursor to modern inertial nav systems, using airspeed and heading information to calculate long/lat assuming no wind, then the navigator would apply a wind vector correction. All mechanical analog, too.
OK, a bit off the thread track, but anybody remember the Curta Calculator?

I just saw this one and it reminded me of this old indicator, I don't remember where it came from. I pulled a lot of equipment out of old warbirds, it always amazed me how much real estate they took up!IMG_20191112_133341.jpg

I did find this old relic I should break out once in a while as a response. I spent many a day tearing myself up removing a lot of wire and building a new panel on one of these... On Mark, with the clear nose. What aircraft? What did On Mark do to it!

Though I would have posed for this in a heartbeat, I never got to fly in the one I worked on...

There's a wiki page that tells about the mods On Mark did on the A-26 Invader.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_Mark_Marksman

There's a wiki page that tells about the mods On Mark did on the A-26 Invader.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_Mark_Marksman

Yep the A-26B "an honest four hundred knot aircraft", this was said by the guy that flew it into Grand Junction. It was fascinating to see the armament wiring bundles I pulled out, and the armor plate. I really wanted to dig into the engines deep down in my heart!

Still looking for an elusive picture, and found this old relic..

Many a night spent curled up reading it with a head full of dreams. A long time ago..

IMG_20191112_190002.jpg

These relics were used to explain the how and why of gyros, any guess which one is which?

IMG_20191113_112101.jpg

An old relic, minted the same year as me... 59'

IMG_20191113_120923.jpg

One of the early altitude preselects, with a fine trim adjust for accuracy!

It worked on the old "coffee grinder" technology.

IMG_20191113_132149.jpg

I was always taught to provide an install print, this is a very early Webair provided print!IMG_20191119_162611.jpg

Who can Identify this old gear and has anyone seen one that was in this good of shape?IMG_20191211_171910.jpg

My first flight director. One put the red balls over the green balls.
QLljwc.jpg

Last edited:
DH 841A I would wager

It was a tiny little add on box to the M4D autopilot. To hand fly it you had to engage the autopilot and flight director, then disengage the autopilot. I liked it........but the M4D was unreliable.

It was a tiny little add on box to the M4D autopilot. To hand fly it you had to engage the autopilot and flight director, then disengage the autopilot. I liked it........but the M4D was unreliable.

I believe that gyro model number is DH 841A.

If you knew how the servos work in an M4D system you would understand some of the reliability issues..

That's a cool old relic in good shape, what is it?

I removed this a while back..

IMG_20191216_122729.jpg

Finally back in heaven and looking for the finished pic of a panel for another thread, can't find it, gotta wait on my Sweetie to look further.

Spent numerous weekends in the tail of a B model pulling junk wiring out. I filled a refrigerator box with what I removed. I'd lose about 10 pounds of weight every weekend I was in there, as the summer of 1980 was one of the hottest on record in central Texas.

Spent numerous weekends in the tail of a B model pulling junk wiring out. I filled a refrigerator box with what I removed. I'd lose about 10 pounds of weight every weekend I was in there, as the summer of 1980 was one of the hottest on record in central Texas.

I'm still looking for that picture, finally came across this old jewel.

I was in Grand Junction for decades, I now live in Michigan to get away from the heat and close to the water.

IMG_20191216_141623.jpg IMG_20191216_141715.jpg

I'm trying to figure out how to hook this up in my Fly Baby.
For that matter, this one, too...but it's missing a knob.
closing.jpg
I'd like to 3-D print a knob to fit it, but can't get find any images of what it originally looked like. From the size of the fitting, this actually looks like it takes a tachometer cable rather than a knob.

Label says "Closing Speed Control Ind Type No. 841 BK-01-883". The "883" is in slightly different characters, so I think it's a serial number. Manufacturer is "Kollsman Instrument Division of the Square D Company."

Ron "One last call for alcohol so finish your whiskey or beer" Wanttaja

For that matter, this one, too...but it's missing a knob.
View attachment 80951
I'd like to 3-D print a knob to fit it, but can't get find any images of what it originally looked like. From the size of the fitting, this actually looks like it takes a tachometer cable rather than a knob.

Label says "Closing Speed Control Ind Type No. 841 BK-01-883". The "883" is in slightly different characters, so I think it's a serial number. Manufacturer is "Kollsman Instrument Division of the Square D Company."

Ron "One last call for alcohol so finish your whiskey or beer" Wanttaja

That looks like a remote cable type set up there, I would guess it ties that indicator to a large box that crunches God knows what information.

That looks like a remote cable type set up there, I would guess it ties that indicator to a large box that crunches God knows what information.
Yeah, that seems logical, considering how big the fitting is. Probably kluge up something that fits and looks halfway original.

Thanks!

Ron Wanttaja

That's a cool old relic in good shape, what is it?

I can't remember what it was called. It was installed in a 1967 King Air A90, along with a PILE of other old airline boxes. I just happened to run across that picture a few years ago and saved it. I've never seen another.

There's a certain nostalgia in these, even for people like me who did not grow up flying with these.. sad to think that in 30 or 40 years a dusty g1000 pfd screen or control module will lack the nostalgic effect that these have.. somehow telling my kids "I flew with one of these" surely will elicit a different kind of response

I suppose I can pass this as a relic..

IMG_20191216_175521.jpg

Last edited:
Finally I find it, from left to right and all the way down I built. no longer gracing this site but had to share..
48404791_10215976521579879_4372764486763806720_o.jpg

Back