Good Crock Pot Recipes...

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Background: A big weekend of flying has led to a long night of homework. Ill be figuring rotor disk angle of attacks, power required at the tail rotor for forward flight, and a bunch of other helicopter stuff late into the night. Im up to cook for our dinner club tomorrow night, main dish, and need something easy. Something that I can go to the store tomorrow morning and buy stuff, throw it all together and let it cook all day while I sleep through class and (hopefully) have an instrument lesson. Any good ideas??

Chili is the easiest thing to cook in a crock pot. Throw all the ingredients together and let it go.

You might also want to consider a beef roast (my avatar is not a fan :))with vegetables of your choice. Be sure to add enough water/liquid to cover the roast.

Turn the pot on and let it go for the day and you end up with pure yum!

I liked stuffed bell peppers in a crockpot (either rice or ground meat) but it only works well if you have something larger than the standard size (like a four or five quart model.) If you do and you're interested I'll post the recipe.

You might also want to consider a beef roast (my avatar is not a fan :))with vegetables of your choice. Be sure to add enough water/liquid to cover the roast.

Turn the pot on and let it go for the day and you end up with pure yum!
I second the roast. Pour cream sherry in (just enough to cover the bottom of the crock) before you toss in a chuck roast. Add onions, baby carrots and maybe potatoes and whole mushrooms and sprinkle cream sherry on top. Cook slow all day. You can't go wrong.

Chili is a good one too.

post it richard, ive got a monster crock pot.

Potatoes, carrots, onions, nice roast, water, one pack of onion soup mix.

Cut potatoes, carrots, and onions into bite size pieces. Layer bottom of crock pot with said p, c, & o's. Place roast on top of bed of pco's. Pour enough water to come about 1/2 way up the pco layer. Sprinkle packet of onion soup mix over pco layer as well as roast. Set to high for about 6 hours. Voila!

I've got a freezer full of venison roast that you're welcome to if you wanna come dig for something good (and VERY cheap ;)).

chris - going to be awake in the morning? i may be able to work out a deal with you, particularly if the RV is going to be in town soon :)

chris - going to be awake in the morning? i may be able to work out a deal with you, particularly if the RV is going to be in town soon :)

Rachel has class at 8 and I have class at 9. You know where we live. Come in the back porch (pardon the mess - we're getting ready to move). There is a deep-freezer on in the back porch. Dig through till you find what you want. Take more than one - they're small-ish compared to full-sized store bought roasts. It won't hurt my feelings if you take more than you need and end up throwing some away. I need to get that thing empty for when we move in a month. :) But please leave the two frozen turkeys and stack of frozen pizzas. ;)

Easy roast. Rub a roast with a little white and black pepper, drop it in a crockpot, dump a packet of lipton onion soup mix. chop up a couple of carrots, celery tops, and a large yellow onion. Pack the free space around the roast with the veggies, add a cup of water, maybe a cup and 1/2 for a big roast, and forget until time to eat. I did this for a campout this weekend, (substitute a dutch oven for a crockpot.) Cook on low all day. It's really easy, and tastes great.

ok sounds good. it may be early but ill try to be quiet.

1. Tomato sauce vegis and chicken.

2. Brown some ground beef with onion in it, stir in chile powder and put in crock pot, top with black beans, black olives and a few chile peppers. Mix up some corn meal with warm water until it is a thick but flowing dough, pour on top of all that other stuff. Cook on slow for 5-6 hours. Makes a great tamale pie.

3. Pork ribs, apples, and sauerkraut

4. Potatoes, carrots, water, browned stew meat, and beef boulon for a nice stew.

ok sounds good. it may be early but ill try to be quiet.

No problem. I left the back porch light on for you and put a flashlight on top of the freezer (it's the wind-up kind if it goes dead on you). Don't worry about the dogs (if they even come out of their house) - they can't get to you, and even if they did, they would just try to jump at your hands to pet them.

right. they'll smell the venison and jump the fence. you'll find me mauled in the backyard when you leave for school...

I liked stuffed bell peppers in a crockpot (either rice or ground meat) but it only works well if you have something larger than the standard size (like a four or five quart model.) If you do and you're interested I'll post the recipe.

Please post it Richard, ive got a monster crock pot also.......mmmmmmmmmmm luv em!!

post it richard, ive got a monster crock pot.

OK, here's my veggie one. Yummy:

6 large bell peppers any color
3/4 cup dry rice
1/2 cup minced (or finely chopped) onions
1/4 cup sliced black olives
3 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 large clove garlic minced
28 oz can chopped or diced tomatoes - undrained
2 6oz cans tomato paste
16 oz can corn OR kidney beans drained

1. Cut tops off peppers and keep. Remove seeds. Stand peppers in cooker.
2. Mix all remaining ingredients in bowl then stuff peppers leave about 1/2 inch space from top of each one
3. Place pepper tops back on top of peppers
4. Pour remaining mixture over top
5. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours
6. When done cut peppers in half lengthwise and serve

Bon appetit

From another site:

Throw a bunch of roman noodles in the crockpot with frozen peas and carrots and diced turkey ham. Add water till it covers the noodles and the seasoning with a few cloves of garlic. It turns out really good.

I thought of you.

I'm a little late on this thread, but give Taco Soup a try sometime... it's a family favorite. (Serve with Fritos, shredded cheese, and sour cream for toppings. MmmMM).

I don't think this is the EXACT recipe we use (we don't put in a packet of ranch dressing mix, if I recall), but it's pretty darn close.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/crockpotsoup/r/bl55c7.htm

If you want other free ideas, start here.

From another site:

I thought of you.

thanks chip. you'll be happy to hear that I have been ramen free for about 2 years now. that does sound interesting though, may have to try it out!

well heres what i ended up throwing together:

got a couple Venison roast cuts from Chris. One was Sirloin the other was simply marked "roast" cut up potatoes, carrots, and onions and threw in the crock, threw the meat in there and added a bunch of beef broth, then mixed in about half a package of onion soup mix. Its been cooking since 9 AM on low, supper at 6:30. we'll see how it goes. If it turns out no good ill just have to order a pizza or something.

and according to Leah the apartment smells good so hopefully it will turn out OK. Going to eat in a half hour, will report back with results! Thanks for the great ideas everybody, ill have stuff to cook for a while.

I'm a little late on this thread, but give Taco Soup a try sometime... it's a family favorite. (Serve with Fritos, shredded cheese, and sour cream for toppings. MmmMM).

I don't think this is the EXACT recipe we use (we don't put in a packet of ranch dressing mix, if I recall), but it's pretty darn close.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/crockpotsoup/r/bl55c7.htm

If you want other free ideas, start here.

Oh man! I've had that before. It's good stuff! I'll have to make that this week! :yes:

OK, here's my veggie one. Yummy:

6 large bell peppers any color
3/4 cup dry rice
1/2 cup minced (or finely chopped) onions
1/4 cup sliced black olives
3 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 large clove garlic minced
28 oz can chopped or diced tomatoes - undrained
2 6oz cans tomato paste
16 oz can corn OR kidney beans drained

1. Cut tops off peppers and keep. Remove seeds. Stand peppers in cooker.
2. Mix all remaining ingredients in bowl then stuff peppers leave about 1/2 inch space from top of each one
3. Place pepper tops back on top of peppers
4. Pour remaining mixture over top
5. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours
6. When done cut peppers in half lengthwise and serve

Bon appetit

Wow! I've had store-bought frozen stuffed peppers before and loved them. I'll have to try this recipe!

Is anyone starting to get the idea of a PoA Cookbook!? Each person can submit 1-2 of their most favorite recipes. Maybe even an online version of it. Wheels start turning...

the Purple Pilots of America roast was awesome! The Venison that chris gave me was falling off the bone tender after 9 hours in the crock put. yum!

the Purple Pilots of America roast was awesome! The Venison that chris gave me was falling off the bone tender after 9 hours in the crock put. yum!

Glad it worked out for you! As you saw this morning, there is definitely more where that came from. ;) There's even some homemade venison breakfast sausage in there. If it weren't for those crazy commercial food regulations, I would bring some to the fly-in breakfast this Saturday.

i guess we'll have to keep it for ourselves chris. thanks again, it was great!

Y'all made me hungry.
(Originally, there are individual photos re a. through m.)

a. The Prelude
b. The Medicine(Chef samples said medicine)
c. Chopped, diced, and sliced
d. Sautéed
e. The Stock(Chef samples another medicine)
f. "To a boil"
g. Add the mushies
h. "To the crock"(Chef admires the medicine)
i. After several hours
j. Chef getting hungry, sampled the medicine,
cooked and ate the leftover potatoes
k. "Add corn after six hours"(Chef takes medicine)
l. Add cream & parsley - after two hours -- to the
crock(soup not only factor crocked)
m. Soup du Jour !!

. . . . to be served, much later; chef too smashed
to know what was chopped, diced, or dashed.

Photo 1 = a. The Prelude
Photo 2 = b. The Medicine
- - - not enough spaces for all the photos, so just follow
along with the above steps.
Photo 3 = chopped, diced, and dashed
Photo 4 = Yum-yum.

HR :yes::cheerswine::rolleyes::goofy:

Attachments

• Slow Cooking_1.jpg
    Slow Cooking_1.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Slow Cooking_2.jpg
    Slow Cooking_2.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Slow Cooking_3.jpg
    Slow Cooking_3.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Slow Cooking_4.jpg
    Slow Cooking_4.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
They all suck. I see nothing with Eye of Newt or Eels or any kind of brains....

Back